Main Menu

Forbidden Planet and Mega City comics

Started by Tarantino, 03 July, 2015, 01:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarantino

I've just been to Mega City comics after not being able to find prog 1934, (which is relatively recent) in Forbidden Planet and they also didn't have it. I was told be that they are reducing the numbers of Progs that they are getting in and so selling out much faster than normal, and I'm guessing that's what's been happening at FP.

I know Rebellion are always trying to push their subscription service, but surely they should be wiser to raise their profile in retail outlets, or where are they going to get new readers? You can hardly find a prog in any newsagents anymore.

All the original readers from 1977 (myself included) are close to death now, so who's going to replace us?

I'm not so sure of the merits of promoting the subscription service to the detriment of progs on shelves. The droids at 2000AD produce some amazing eye catching front covers, and that's how you are going to get new readers, if they spot a prog in the shops. One of the recent letters in 2000AD was from a guy who said he is constantly rediscovering 2000AD after cancelling his subscription, he often dips in and out of the comic and he probably only comes back because he spots a rare prog on a shop shelf and wants to see what's happening in the 2000AD Universe.

Tarantino

ZenArcade

Well said. I totally agree with your sentiments, it is imperative for the  survival of the prog that it sits proudly on the shelves of as many newsagents as is possible. A lot of the boarders subscribe for either physical or electronic prog delivery on a Saturday (which is great), but it does not solve the issue of propagation of 2000AD to new readers.  The prog needs a constant influx of these to continue and I am unaware of any really valid alternative to an exciting cover in the local shop. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

SuperSurfer

But is there a link between any success of Rebellion's subscription service and the presence of 2000AD on the shelves of superhero shops? I doubt it.

If a comic shop is reducing its 2000AD stock I would guess that has more to do with not enough superhero fans getting into 2000AD progs. Perhaps a growing number of people are getting into 2000AD through the collected editions and that is affecting sales of the prog.

I know two obsessive superhero comic fans who spend a hell of a lot of money on what I consider a load of tosh. They just aren't interested in 2000AD. As much as I try to get them on board with recommendations they just aren't into it. (One of them likes Iron Man so much "because his costume is so cool".)

There is a lot more to promoting comics nowadays than eye catching covers on shelves.

SuperSurfer

Sorry for double post but no modify button. I am not suggesting sales of the prog are down and have no reason to believe they are. I would have guessed quite the opposite.

Molch-R

Quote from: Tarantino on 03 July, 2015, 01:03:10 PM
I know Rebellion are always trying to push their subscription service, but surely they should be wiser to raise their profile in retail outlets, or where are they going to get new readers? You can hardly find a prog in any newsagents anymore.

Simple answer - we already do both, because the two things are not mutually exclusive and around 80% of our readers still buy 2000 AD at a newsagent. We've had several retailer pushes over the last two years with great success but it's worth noting that, with a weekly product, retailers don't want unsold copies on the shelves that go in the bin after seven days and so order what they feel they can sell. If readers want a newsagent to stock it (and it's their choice, we can't force them) it's up to Squaxx to encourage them to do so.

ZenArcade

The difficulty I have with Forbidden Planet is they're now a franchise. The majority of the staff (with noble exceptions) don't really seem to know or like comics. It is pot luck going into the shop in Belfast as to whether the prog will be on display and at times one feels that one is imposing on the guy behind the counter when you ask him to get you a copy. Some of these guys couldn't sell a lake if water in the middle of a year long drought.
This is not going to be a help for some kid walking into the shop and asking for a prog. But then I guess FP's business model is predicated on flogging off Star Wars figurines and US Super Hero kak. Pity really. Z

Tarantino

Oh and shame on Mega City Comics, they had the 2000AD free comic on Sale for £1.

It's an amazing thing that Rebellion have done, a genuine quality Freebie, Which is a great read and which Forbidden Planet are happy to help give away and MC1 are selling it. I won't be going back there after seeing that.

Shame on them for their greed.

Tarantino

Although not overly greedy as £1 is pretty reasonable

ZenArcade

For a free comic which is a gift from 2000ad to both loyal readers and a gratis encouragement to new people to come on board. To hell with a shop which asks people to pay for this Z

Eamonn Clarke

I may be wrong but the FCBD Prog is not a gift from 2000AD to the shops. The comic shops have to buy all the free comic book day books. I'm sure that they were free on the day in Mega City comics but two months on just trying to cover their costs on surplus stock doesn't seem that unreasonable to me.

Molch-R

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 03 July, 2015, 03:24:12 PM
The comic shops have to buy all the free comic book day books.

Yep, FCBD print them and the shops purchase set amounts, hence why some shops don't participate.

ZenArcade

sheridan

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 03 July, 2015, 01:38:20 PM
But is there a link between any success of Rebellion's subscription service and the presence of 2000AD on the shelves of superhero shops? I doubt it.

If a comic shop is reducing its 2000AD stock I would guess that has more to do with not enough superhero fans getting into 2000AD progs. Perhaps a growing number of people are getting into 2000AD through the collected editions and that is affecting sales of the prog.

Mega-City Comics isn't exactly a superhero shop - as with most (all?) comic shops it obviously does sell them, but it has a good range of other comics as well, from Moomins to indie comics with early progs, manga and all the usual stuff you get in the good shops.

AlexF

I bought my copy of Prog 1 (and 2 and 7) from Mega City Comics (as back Progs about 20 years ago). They'd have to work incredibly hard to push me away after those kinds of collection-completing memories!
The shop does have a weird plastic bag fetish, which means they put all their collections and books into bags as well as the single-issue comics. But it also has a very decent range of non-superhero comics, although you have to walk past the Marvel and DC racks to get there.