Main Menu

Tha's the matter wi' Glesga, some bampot's blown in doon...

Started by TordelBack, 05 October, 2014, 05:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

As I know far more of you than is reasonable are afflicted with some form of Scottishness, and some of those with the Glasgow variant of the condition, I have a request to make of your local -cough- wisdom.  I have a good friend who has just landed a multi-year contract in Glasgow, and is looking for somewhere to lay his head for a few months while he finds his bearings. So far he's finding online and employer resources... uncooperative.  Ideally a house-share with non-students, fairly accessible/transport linked to the Gilmourhill campus of the U of G, and equally ideally somewhere he isn't going to get beaten up too often for being Irish (I added that last bit).

In the unlikely event that anyone knows of such a paradise, that's great please let me know, but more practically does anyone have any advice about likely areas, local accommodation resources etc.?  As I say, this is for a good mate who has been a long time looking for a decent job, so I'm trying to assist as best I can.  Many thanks!

Richmond Clements

Before someone else says it: I know a lovely park bench...

Dog Deever

There would have been paradise, but too many people didn't want it...
;)
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 05 October, 2014, 05:26:37 PM
somewhere he isn't going to get beaten up too often

You want the impossible.

The university's in a really nice part of the city, but that means rents are either studenty or pricey. The underground in Glasgow is pretty good, though, so if your buddy doesn't mind a ten minute walk to the nearest station at either end of his journey, this flatshare looks okay  ...

http://glasgow.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare/flatshare_detail.pl?flatshare_id=3653926&search_id=194343092&city_id=&flatshare_type=offered&search_results=%2Fflatshare%2F%3Fsearch_id%3D194343092%26&

It's in the same square where my pal used to live, which was mostly filled with young professionals, and is in a decent enough area. The flats are nice, but as pokey as you would expect for the city centre. It's genuinely a stone's throw away from both A1 Books and Comics and The Barras (music venue), and it's towards the green side of the city (not too far from Celtic Park, if he's that way inclined), so your friend wouldn't have to worry about taking a stroll wearing his green velvet jacket, black hat with gold buckle, and knotted wooden walking stick.

TordelBack

Excellent stuff, ta, I'll pass it on - if nothing else the website should be useful.

I, Cosh

I may be able to help. When is he starting, etc? Or send me a message. Glasgow's pretty easy to get around and there are very few areas in commuting distance of that Uni which I'd avoid entirely.

That site looks useful but blimey! 600/month?! It's a long time since I was renting a room.
We never really die.

Frank

Quote from: The Cosh on 06 October, 2014, 03:40:50 PM
That site looks useful but blimey! 600/month?! It's a long time since I was renting a room.

Aye, it made my eyes water too; en suite, utilities included, and central(ish) obviously don't come cheap, but I worry 'Ross' wants you to pay off his entire mortgage rather than help out with little extras. On the other hand, the next closest room I could find on that site was a 2 bed flatshare in Whiteinch at £440 p/m, which probably tests the definition of somewhere you won't get beat up as much as it tests my definition of 'near'. I would gladly pay an extra £160 p/m not to live in Whiteinch.

Hope Cosh can help with somewhere cheaper, but if that doesn't work out I'm sure the Uni's admin department would be as helpful in finding another impoverished academic for TordelBack's pal to doss with as they are hooking up students with similar arrangements.

TordelBack

Quote from: sauchie co-op on 06 October, 2014, 05:02:26 PM... I'm sure the Uni's admin department would be as helpful in finding another impoverished academic for TordelBack's pal to doss with as they are hooking up students with similar arrangements.

You would think that.  But not so far.

Cheers for the continued help guys - I'll check dates and get back to you, McCosh.

TordelBack

So the gentleman who was the subject of this helpful thread has now been ensconced in Glasgow for two years, and tomorrow I'm off visiting him for a few days.

Knowing the chap in question he probably already has an elaborate itinerary of entertainments drawn up, but I was wondering if any of you blue-painted skirt-wearing natives, knowing my proclivities, could recommend Things To See and Stuff to Do; or even Not to Do Ever Ever Ever. Any decent comics shops or secondhand bookshops gratefully received.

Satanist

pub..

http://www.sloansglasgow.com/

Glasgow gallery of Modern art and Kelvingrove museum are always worth a visit and free.

also George square usually has its annual Christmas Neds on Ice this time of year.

comic shops are thin on the ground but theres a great 2nd hand bookshop here...

http://www.caledoniabooks.co.uk/

enjoy!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 December, 2016, 01:19:15 PMAny decent comics shops or secondhand bookshops gratefully received.
As my learned friend has observed, Glasgow seriously lacks a decent independent comic shop, although the local branch of Forbidden Planet is more focused on actual comics than many of its peers.

There are a few other secondhand bookshops around that part of Kelvinbridge but you'll definitely want to get yourself into the well concealed Voltaire & Rousseau at some point. I'd recommend Stravaigin on Gibson Street for a pint or two to recharge the batteries afterward. Good food too.

As it happens, I'm attending a 40th birthday party in Linlithgow this Saturday so I may even be in Glasgow for a few hours should you be in the market for a swift half.
We never really die.

Fungus

Excellent 2nd-hand bookshop almost next door to Cosh's Stravaigin, if you do end up in Gibson St.

Kelvingrove is always worth a visit but Gallery of Modern Art I find rarely is. But I go in hope. Last visit a few Saturdays ago the best/only thing was a ground floor exhibition (*ADULTS ONLY*) where the only thing to enjoy was an Eric Bristow documentary ("Arrows"?). Watched that in a pair of oversized headphones. This is all true. Modern Art, eh?

Fungus

Edit: it was a while ago and my bookshop could be the one Cosh linked to... Anyway, point is, it's excellent.

Trout

Pub. My favourite was always The Grove, in Kelvingrove Street, but there are lots of great places. If old men are playing dominoes, do not go in. It is too dangerous.

Also, don't eat any chips.

Satanist

No update? Either it was great and he's still recovering or Glasgows claimed another victim   :'(
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?