Main Menu

Snow in 2000AD

Started by shaolin_monkey, 02 July, 2016, 03:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Howdy folks! I've been thinking about when snow appears in 2000AD stories. Random, I know.

Do you have any favourite scenes or stories from the Prog that featured snow in some manner or another?

Colin YNWA

Gotta be Shako burying an engineer alive in a pipe using snow (of course) to keep his food fresh for later.

ZenArcade

The m
Meg cover with Dredd shooting the snowman summed up Christmas for me that year. Tra la, la, la, la   la, la, la ,laaa. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Steve Green

The apocalypse war - weather control freaking out is pretty memorable, along with Dredd euthanising citizens who have succumbed to radiation poisoning.

shaolin_monkey

Thanks guys!

Steve - that was the first that occurred to me. Such a dark scene!

I was also thinking of Pietait if a Mutant where baby Johnny is carried by his mum through a rad storm. Was that snow?

Does anyone have any other 2000AD snow moments worth remarking on?

Steve Green

No, pretty sure it wasn't snow.

Been some nice Christmas Dredd tales - think it might be the Dillon one with Mean Machine, where there's a flurry of snow from weather control, and that's your lot for Christmas.

One by Jim Murray I think? Has some nice snowy scenes.

shaolin_monkey

I remember that Dillon one! Justice Dept gives Muties on the other side of the city wall food and booze, and once they'd identified several outlaws the Judges gunned them all down!  Yeah, plus the yen second seasonal flurry! Good shout!

glassstanley

Whitey has a scientist engineer a snow storm to aid his first escape from Devil's Island back in the early progs.

Greg M.

Snow/Tiger had Snow. I think it probably had actual snow in it too, but I can't be expected to remember everything.

Lobo Baggins

Not exactly snow, but the crew in Return to Armageddon discovering the icy planet they're exploring is actually Hell that's frozen over sticks in my mind.

The Merry Tale of the Christmas Angel - 'hey, it's snowing!', 'Too late, you missed it.'

Couple of times in the Apocalypse War - the attack on the Rad Sweepers during a blizzard, with the refugees discovering they're in the middle of a rad zone 'So that's why the snow wasn't settling!' and the Battle of Dan Tanna Junction with the sudden heat wave 'there goes our cover!'
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Pete Wells

I think there was some snow in 'Enceladus'

shaolin_monkey

Thanks for the reminder Pete!   :D

All good stuff folk - keep them coming!

Link Prime

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 03 July, 2016, 01:17:59 PM

The Merry Tale of the Christmas Angel - 'hey, it's snowing!', 'Too late, you missed it.'

Memorable.

There are a ton of festive themed covers featuring snow, the apex of which was of course Prog 398 by Kev O'Neill.

Only other story I can think of is Harmony Krieg (set in Alaska).

Does the amount of snow Morrison & Millar were snorting during the '93 Summer Offensive count?

AlexF

Was it Button Man IV that had a snow-bound shootout of some kind?
And I recall a Kev Walker epsiode of Tor Cyan that was delightfully snow-filled.

Fun question!

Greg M.

Quote from: Link Prime on 04 July, 2016, 09:55:59 AM
Does the amount of snow Morrison & Millar were snorting during the '93 Summer Offensive count?

Even if it doesn't, they gave us the very snowy 'Crusade', which certainly left me cold.