Main Menu

Wot I Ate On My Holidays

Started by Buttonman, 03 October, 2012, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

I agree with Colin. Mushy peas! (Had 'em with my fish supper last night).

Buttonman

Never liked peas and mushy peas are just like peas cubed.

This blog may need a new camera person! Look at this effort :

You can barely see the grub! This was a nice curried lamb pasty in a filo pastry parcel with poppy seeds all over it. The place in Whitby was nice but a bit too quirky for my tastes with its mismatched china and £6 pasties!

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 25 June, 2016, 07:46:19 AM
I never get the whole baked beans with fish and chips thing. I think its been discussed in these parts before but its just wrong. Get some mushy peas man.

Hate peas. Have done since I was but a wee baby.
It's pretty much the only food I will not eat.
Did not eat baked beans until I was in my 20's because of the similarity in texture to peas.
You stick with your beans mate.

Proudhuff

Hopefully you'll be up to date soon so you can give us a full Grub report from Glasgow Comic Con and your minesweeping in the Iron Horse?
DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

Well this thread has been endorsed by none less than Mr John Wagner! Having cornered him with a pile of books to sign he asked if I was Buttonman and stated that he liked my food pictures. Pure, honest unsought opinion from the man who gave us America and the new 'Rok of the Reds' which I enjoyed on my trip journey home.

Anyway, enough waffle lets get to what John and everyone else tuned in for!

This was taken in the cafe of the Royal Concert Hall in Glasgow. The service was a bit slow but my chicken and mango salsa on white bread sandwich was fine although the accompanying carrot and coriander soup was a bit bland. I ordered a can of lager to go with it but the server said it came with a free tea or coffee - so I had tea. About £7.25 and apart from the slow service and blandness it was, well, OK.

Frank

Quote from: Buttonman on 02 July, 2016, 09:46:21 PM
this thread has been endorsed by none less than Mr John Wagner! Having cornered him with a pile of books to sign he asked if I was Buttonman and stated that he liked my food pictures

Oh god. Please don't tell me Wagner actually reads the forum ...

Steve Green

"Where do you get your crazy ideas?"

sheridan

Quote from: Buttonman on 25 June, 2016, 03:09:58 PM
Never liked peas and mushy peas are just like peas cubed.

This blog may need a new camera person! Look at this effort :

You can barely see the grub! This was a nice curried lamb pasty in a filo pastry parcel with poppy seeds all over it. The place in Whitby was nice but a bit too quirky for my tastes with its mismatched china and £6 pasties!
I've spent many holidays in Whitby (two a year for a decade, plus a few more in the eighties) and can barely think of any pubs with beer gardens - which one is it?  The Angel, between the swing bridge and the railway station?

Buttonman

We actually stayed at the Angel which is now a Wetherspoons. The photo was taken in the courtyard garden of the Rusty Shears Tearoom on Silver Street. Nice wee place with lots of cakes. Think they did booze too but we stuck to afternoon tea. Classy!

sheridan

Quote from: Buttonman on 03 July, 2016, 12:05:11 AM
We actually stayed at the Angel which is now a Wetherspoons. The photo was taken in the courtyard garden of the Rusty Shears Tearoom on Silver Street. Nice wee place with lots of cakes. Think they did booze too but we stuck to afternoon tea. Classy!
Funny hearing about places you're familiar with from your chlidhood being taken over by more modern chains.  I would have first gone to the Angel in the late eighties during the folk week, and more recently during the Goth weekend.

I know the building, as I went there when it was a restaurant ten years ago.  I don't suppose you noticed if Sherlock's was still on Flowergate?  A vaguely steampunk themed coffee shop which I found out about as they were putting up the sign (at about eleven o'clock at night, which was a bit unusual).

Hawkmumbler

Is it me, or is Buttman turning into Bruce Forsyth progressively with each new photo of the chap...

Proudhuff

I don't  know what you mean, here's his latest offering from Glasgow Comic Con...
DDT did a job on me

Fungus

Buttonman

Quote from: sheridan on 03 July, 2016, 12:17:00 AM
I don't suppose you noticed if Sherlock's was still on Flowergate?  A vaguely steampunk themed coffee shop which I found out about as they were putting up the sign (at about eleven o'clock at night, which was a bit unusual).

I don't think so - rained a lot and as an England game was on we only ventured out one night!

Buttonman

Apologies for the lengthy delay in the updates world. I thought the thread had maybe run its course, maybe it was a bit self indulgent? Well I was bang wrong. When two maybe three unknown to me boarders approached me to say hello at the 40th Birthday event I knew it had to go on. "It's the only thing worth reading on the message board they cried" and who can argue with that?

Despite many Letters, W Film and Definite Article Movie blogs it was only the food people wanted to talk about. "93 letters mmm impressive but tell me more about the meringues in Fifi and Ally's " they said as one.

I was looking for a quick link to a forum post and I found I was a 'Hero of 2000ad' - Thanks to our very own Alex Frith for THIS!

Anyway - back to work - July to December was something of a fallow time but then Christmas happened...

This is the office Christmas party night at the Iron Horse in Glasgow. If you know the bar you know it's a bit rough but their upstairs function area is pretty good. As was the buffet - here am I, in a natty shirt enjoying a mini steak pie, some chicken satay and a huge bit of chicken pakora. All very nice it was too.

Next up was the team Christmas party in Las Iguanas which is on West Nile Street - same as The Iron Horse! My Tripadvisor review is HERE .

The food was pretty good and got better the drunker I got. Here is a nice chorizo starter :

Shockingly the photo of my dinner didn't come out so you'll need to make do with this long shot - I'm eating 'Blazing Bird' which is half a dried chicken with some unsubtle sauce all over it.

Then in January (go figure) we had the manager night out at Ad Lib on Hope Street. This didn't disappoint as usual and I had a very tasty burger with sweet potato fries.

Hopefully that festive flavour tickles all of your taste buds and we'll be back soon - sadly a start of year diet means it may just be herbal teas and cup a soups, but there you go.