Main Menu

Star Wars Episode 7 and Disney buy Lucas Film

Started by willthemightyW, 30 October, 2012, 08:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Magnetica on 28 April, 2016, 09:40:19 PM
What is the point of a laser crossbow anyway? Can't see it adds anything over a laser rifle.

If anything it's just more awkward.

To be fair, a laser sword probably wouldn't quite get the range a rifle would either. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

von Boom

What is the point of a laser crossbow anyway? Can't see it adds anything over a laser rifle.

laser + object = AWESOME

I defy you to find anything that lasers don't make more awesome. ;)

Professor Bear

sheridan

Quote from: von Boom on 29 April, 2016, 12:22:24 PM
laser + object = AWESOME

That's a challenge to think about...

Satanist

Never mind that whats the point of Stormtrooper armour? It appears to offer zero protection and impairs vision.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

TordelBack

Quote from: Satanist on 29 April, 2016, 01:39:33 PM

Never mind that whats the point of Stormtrooper armour? It appears to offer zero protection and impairs vision.

One of the daftest things in the fairly daft TFA was the revelation that the helmets don't even protect from toxic gas. Some uniform supplier is getting an easy ride there.

soggy

laser + object = AWESOME

Alderaan?

I'll get my coat.

radiator

QuoteOne of the daftest things in the fairly daft TFA was the revelation that the helmets don't even protect from toxic gas. Some uniform supplier is getting an easy ride there.

That whole scene is really overcomplicated when it could have, should have, been really simple. And after all that they don't even use the gas in the end do they?

Quoteone thing that really really pissed me off....Chewie and Rey returned to base, who got the hugs?  Rey!!  WTF!!!

It's just a hunch, and I could well be wrong, but my assumption is that when they wrote and/or filmed that scene, Rey was still intended to be Han and Leia's daughter - hence the emotional reunion.

QuoteWell Rey is plucky but hesitant

Firstly, those are character traits, but do not, on their own, add up to a well-defined character. And don't you see that the precise reason for her hesitance is never made clear, merely hinted at in incredibly vague terms? So in that sense her characterisation is actually pretty muddy. The film desperately needed to decide on an origin for Rey, because deliberately keeping everything about her shrouded in ambiguity and mystery hurts her motivation. Both Finn and Rey have 'refusing the call to action' scenes, but both feel very arbitrary to me and fail to convince.

I rewatched TFA the other day. Its still a fun movie, despite its rather major problems. Surprised that I haven't heard any criticsim of that horribly-written exposition-dump of a scene between Han and Leia towards the end. The performances by both of them are about as good as could have been reasonably hoped for, but man the writing in that scene is just wretched.

Overall the film is very guilty of 'tell, don't show'. At one point Kylo reads Rey's mind and says something about her feeling like Han is 'the father she never had' and I'm like 'steady on, guys!'. She has literally just met the guy. At the most they are in the very earliest stages of a mentor/mentee relationship. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. There was a great review on Birth. Movies. Death. when the film came out that very astutely pointed out how Abrams, as a filmmaker, always takes these kind of narrative shortcuts. He wants to show us the big dramatic moments, but doesn't want to do the legwork to fully earn them.

abelardsnazz

SIP

Professor Bear

TordelBack

Good grief, the 'Disney is shoving feminism down our throats' crowd are still chundering on on every SW forum. Y'all could use a good feed of feminism.  I love that they can fit a full list of the 'so many' SF films with strong female leads into a single tweet, and still have room for #reyisamarysue and #notasexist.

"Actually, it's about ethics in sequel plotting".  Urge to kill rising.

IndigoPrime

How exactly is Disney shoving feminism down our throats, according to idiots? Is it purely by having a female co-lead? I mean, it was nice to see some women in Force Awakens, but it wasn't exactly the new Ghostbusters in that regard. The vast majority of the new and classic characters were still male.

Grugz

laser + object = AWESOME

preparation h
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

GordonR

Quote from: Tordelback on 05 May, 2016, 01:17:57 PM
Good grief, the 'Disney is shoving feminism down our throats' crowd are still chundering on on every SW forum. Y'all could use a good feed of feminism.  I love that they can fit a full list of the 'so many' SF films with strong female leads into a single tweet, and still have room for #reyisamarysue and #notasexist.

"Actually, it's about ethics in sequel plotting".  Urge to kill rising.

Yeah.  I had someone on social media complaining about Rogue One seemingly having another female lead, and it was "Yawn - time for Star Wars to get a new idea."

Strangely, they weren't bored or complaining about Episodes 1-6 all having male leads.