Main Menu

X-Men Apocalypse

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 17 July, 2015, 12:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Is it just me or was there not a single thing in that trailer we haven't seen elsewhere?

Link Prime

Quote from: GordonR on 25 April, 2016, 11:34:10 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 25 April, 2016, 03:59:10 PM
Quote from: Goaty on 25 April, 2016, 03:51:32 PM
And that final scene   

They just couldn't keep it as a surprise, could they?

It's a surprise that a character who's been in every single X-Men movie so far is in this one too?

All except Deadpool!

You're right Commando Forces- Jackman was rumored to be on set a while back.

To be honest, I had hoped they were keeping his involvement with the film under wraps due to the fact he would be covertly portraying Death (one of The Horsemen).
It's now apparent that won't be the case (The Horsemen line-up being Magneto, Storm, Psylocke & Angel), and the small clip we saw at the end of the latest trailer had him aiding the X-Men (escaping from the Weapon X facility?)

If it turns out Jackman only features in a cameo (as in First Class) or a smaller role, they should have kept it under wraps IMO.

TordelBack

Can't seem to get along with Poecalypse's delivery, although the trailer-makers seem to think it's ace.  Beyond that, it's such a great opportunity for shameless nerdery:  While there's some comics precedent for Apocalypse choosing particularly powerful individuals as his horsemen (Polaris and the Hulk spring to mind), they generally aren't A-list types until he boosts them.  I wonder if using Magneto in this way isn't aping the Phoenix Five from Avengers v X-Men... siding him with the unambiguously evil Apocalypse seems to cut right across his character arc as developed across previous films. 

Although that said, periodic mangling of Magneto's character certainly accurately captures the flavour of the X-Men books.

And I still think Psylocke looks even sillier in that '90s swimsuit than she does in the comics, which is remarkable in itself.  Shoulda gone with the Alan Davis candyfloss version.

Professor Bear

One of my biggest problems with Magneto since First Class has been that he's been more sympathetic than the rest of the cast to the point that his heel turns never feel organic - I mean, the end of First Class is Magneto literally turning on a dime.

Link Prime

Quote from: Tordelback on 26 April, 2016, 11:39:09 AM
I wonder if using Magneto in this way isn't aping the Phoenix Five from Avengers v X-Men... siding him with the unambiguously evil Apocalypse seems to cut right across his character arc as developed across previous films. 

I'm sure he'll switch sides again before the end- the 97% of Horseman who ended up betraying Apocalypse can't all be wrong.

He is the only character who ever actually killed Apocalypse if I recall, literally ripping him in half.

matty_ae

Good for Empire magazine, who despite giving the movie multiple covers a couple of months back, now only give X-Men just two stars out of five.

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/x-men-apocalypse/review/

Good for honest journalism.

radiator

Yeah, reviews on this have been very underwhelming indeed, and the general consensus seems to be that there are too many characters and it just feels like its recycling ideas and set pieces from older X-movies.

It feels very much to me like its time for a hard reboot - I liked the novelty of setting First Class in the 60s (and to a lesser extent DoFP in the 70s) but it feels like they've fenced themselves into a corner a bit by stranding their cool young new cast in the 80s/90s. Doubly so as Jackman's 16-year run as Wolverine seems to be coming to an end.

CrazyFoxMachine

This IS the X-3 of the new X-men trilogy then ....   :O

Dandontdare

saw it at the weekend - not perfect, but a lot more enjoyable than the buzz led me to believe - more detailed thoughts on the movie thread that I can't be arsed typing all over again!

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 12 May, 2016, 11:47:02 AM
This IS the X-3 of the new X-men trilogy then ....   :O

There is a heavy-handed reference to this in the film that feels rather forced.

Tiplodocus

I thought that was ok to good. Could have been twenty minutes shorter but I liked the way it wasn't just people punching each other through walls constantly.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

NapalmKev

Some good, some bad!

[spoiler]Quicksilver[/spoiler] stole the show with 2 of the best scenes in the movie. [spoiler]Storm[/spoiler] and [spoiler]Angel[/spoiler] were a bit Crap and don't really do a lot.

Plotwise, hmmm. [spoiler]Apocalypse wants to decimate the World. He then launches all the world's Nukes into the air, presumably to decimate the earth. Then, he sends all the Nukes into space before commanding his Hench Horseman to destroy the World.[/spoiler] Once again, hmmm.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

von Boom

It was an okay film, but there is very little worthy of talking about.