Main Menu

Captain America: Civil War (2016)

Started by Goaty, 25 November, 2015, 06:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

"Captain America: Civil War is the best Marvel Studios movie yet. There, we said it."

But we reserve the right to dramatically update this ratings for the shiny disc release, if it turns out we got a bit over-excited and fucked this one up. There, we, er, didn't say it.

I, Cosh

Different reviewers working for the same publication can have dramatically different opinions about the same thing. Especially if public opinion dictates.

No intention of watching this as I've not seen any of the other Captain America films and it just seems to be there to set up a sequel!
We never really die.

Radbacker

just back from this, near full cinema and seemed to enjoy it quite a bit more than the other Vs movie so far this year.  But they really should've called this Avengers 3 or something as its definitely a team movie.
I enjoyed it quite a bit but cant help feeling something is just a tad off about it, don't know what but just didn't quite enjoy it overall as much as I enjoyed individual bits if that makes sense.  I like the change from hero's having to register to hero's being under control of the UN as the conflict point works much better in the Marvel Movie universe than the original concept would have.
Antman was great again and the not so well kept secret involving him was great fun [spoiler]though I don't understand physics why are Giant people always so slow moving surely when giant you'd move quicker because of your extra size, limb length, strength etc???[/spoiler].  Spidey was great but really seemed  jammed into the movie, his inclusion was all like [spoiler]Ironman - mmm I know a guy in queens who can help off he goes visits him and his Aunt and now Spidey is a full fledged New Avenger[/spoiler] not very organic but the kid who plays him is great it's good to have an actual teen Parker and Spidey and the motor mouth is 100% intact and not as snarky or nasty Garfields Spidey.  Other newbie Blackpanther has a pretty spectacular looking suit and enough to do to give you an idea what he's about, nice fighting style too. Thumbs up for Vision in a cardigan, it was great. 
Crossbones was a nice continuation of the last movie and suitably beefed up challenge for the Cap at the start.  The actual big bad guy in this one is great, very different to anything Marvel have offered up so far [spoiler]no taking over the world or killing everyone for this guy he has other idea's and by the endng seems he succeeded a bit too[/spoiler] and like Antman the end didn't resort to the whole big object in the sky thing Marvel like to do, in fact it was a rather low key affair but still just as thrilling as any end of the world scenario thrown up in countless other Super Hero movies.
Sure there's lots more I've missed it's quite a dense movie lots of characters and story happening.  You'll notice I didn't mention Captain America much in this well it's because it's not just his movie though he is great in it, Stark is great too and it's actually a bit sad to see it all descend into fisticuffs by the end between them as for who's right and who you need to go for [spoiler]I think they're actually both being dicks about it all but like the comic you gotta side with Cap he's right[/spoiler]  .
I liked it a lot but not quite Marvels greatest for me 4 out of 5 :) (I'd go GOTG and ANTman as Marvels two 5 out of 5 movies for me).

CU Radbacker

Mardroid

Apologies for posting this in two threads, but I forgot about this thread when I posted in the Last Movie Watched thread.

Very good.

[spoiler]I don't think Aunt May is supposed to look like that, but it was amusing that they made gag out of that.

I liked the twist at the end concerning the showdown with the big bad.

I think it would be more likely that the comic version of Spider-Man would be on Captain America's side, but considering the age of his version, the way Stark recruited him and that exchange between him and Cap, his choice is believable in this case. Ironically this version of Spider-man seems closest to the comics version in some ways. Particularly his chatty nature during combat, which is made a joke of.[/spoiler]

All characters had there bit in the limelight, even those with rather small roles [spoiler]like Pym, ha ha[/spoiler], which made this feel  closer to an Avengers Film rather than a Captain America movie in some ways... yet it does fit.

By the way, I find it interesting that both Superhero films I recently watched are concerned with the [spoiler]collateral damage caused by superbeing conflicts.[/spoiler] I think this one does it better, much as I like Batman Vs Superman.

matty_ae

AIRPORT
AIRPORT
AIRPORT

That Airport scene was a riot, the only thing that could have made it funnier would be cutting it into AIRPLANE with Leslie Neilsen trying to land a plane.

Mattofthespurs

Watched it on Monday in a packed cinema.
I really enjoyed it with the small exception that it went on far too long.
Spidey is well portrayed and the kinda put to one side.
I put it in the top 3 Marvel movies so far.

Buttonman

Yeah, pretty good - 7/10 territory for me.

The usual array of chases and clang and bash fights but good fun.

Getting a bit top heavy with characters with more being less in my view. Ant and Spider men were comic relief more than being integral to the plot but the airport fight was the highlight mainly due to them.

I wasn't convinced by the schism between Cap and Tony and it did seem that more chat less bash could have resolved the whole problem.

I hope all the Winter Soldier stuff is over as I am starting to find it all a bit tiresome and Bucky is a dull character.

The infinity war should be more epic in scale but I hope that doesn't mean they shoehorn in even more characters - FF anyone?

Overall too long and thin on plot but well made and an enjoyable distraction.

von Boom

A very good film, but what made it for me was the inclusion of Spider-Man (my favourite Marvel character). They portrayed Spidey the way I remember him best and it has made me very excited to see his film next year.

I'll agree with what has been said already about this being an Avengers film and wot.

Daniel Brühl was brilliant!

radiator

Well, I really enjoyed that.

I would say that it was bloated, had too many characters and the story was silly, wildly overcomplicated and relied far too much on one ridiculous string of coincidences after another.... but it's a Marvel/Avengers movie, so that all goes without saying. What's important is that I'm willing to overlook these issues because of just how damn fun the whole thing is.

I'd agree with Radbacker that overall it somehow ultimately feels slightly less than the sum of its parts, but some of those individual parts are just fantastic. Every action scene is amazing, and the airport scene is genuinely jawdropping in its scope and execution. I may go and see the movie a second time purely to see that scene again.

The new Spider-man is great - the way he moves, the costume, the casting... Nailed it. Normally I cringe when, in previous movies, Spider-man fans bemoan that he doesn't talk enough or make enough wisecracks because I can't imagine it not being cheesy and annoying.... but if it's done this well I fully get what they mean. Can't wait for the new solo outing (and I say that as someone who has had zero interest in seeing any of the Spidey-films since the third Raimi one).

Black Panther - in all honesty - much like Spiderman felt a little shoe-horned in, but was likewise amazing in execution. Great actor, great suit - the works.

But it's Ant-Man who unexpectedly steals the show. For all that people mock the character for being a third-stringer with a goofy name (or at least they did in the run up to his film coming out), his power set just lends itself to some truly incredible and inventive visuals, and it's all done with such a sense of wonder and fun. There's just really nothing else quite like it in any other movie I can think of, and Rudd just exudes dopey charm even when not in the suit. He's a real asset to the MCU, and I can't wait to see what they do with him next.

This is the Avengers sequel we should have had instead of the (imo) lacklustre Age of Ultron, and its fair to say that its reinvigorated my flagging enthusiasm for the Marvel movies as a whole. I'm aware its a long film, but didn't feel like it for me - would have happily watched more of it.

Loved [spoiler]Jim Rash/Dean Pelton[/spoiler]'s cameo [spoiler]Was wondering which Community alum the Russos would sneak in this time![/spoiler]

4/5.

Tiplodocus

I enjoyed that especially, along with everyone else, the airport set to.

The tone was just right for a comic book superhero movie; fun being the main order of the day and managed to drop it a notch into more serious territory for the finale.

Only gripe is that I wanted another Captain America movie but this was Cap 2.4, Avengers 2.4 and Iron Man 3.2.

But I can live with that.

And that has to be one of the most ridiculously charismatic,  handsome and gorgeous casts even by Hollywood standards.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 09 May, 2016, 07:45:44 PM
And that has to be one of the most ridiculously charismatic,  handsome and gorgeous casts even by Hollywood standards.

I recently read someone comment (can't now remember where!) that Chris Evans' Cap is easily the most believably, likably noble hero since Reeves' Superman, and I'm inclined to agree.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Buttonman

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 May, 2016, 08:14:15 PM

I recently read someone comment (can't now remember where!) that Chris Evans' Cap is easily the most believably, likably noble hero since Reeves' Superman, and I'm inclined to agree.

Cheers

Jim

Foolish Jim forgot Michael Crawford's Condorman!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 May, 2016, 08:14:15 PMI recently read someone comment (can't now remember where!) that Chris Evans' Cap is easily the most believably, likably noble hero since Reeves' Superman, and I'm inclined to agree.
I wish we'd got more in the past. I loved the pulpy nature of the first film. Mind you, it was a massive jolt to read the Cap books in the Marvel partwork. They were all eye-poppingly awful. Odd to massively prefer the movie version of a comic...

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 May, 2016, 08:14:15 PM

Cheers

Jim

The only one I can think of that comes close is Elastigirl from The Incredibles.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

radiator

Yeah. DC really need to poach the casting director that Marvel is using if they hope to stand a chance.

DC seem to be relying on bigger established names (I still think Jared Leto could be a total misfire as the Joker) or slightly bland unknowns like Henry Cavill - Marvel seem to have an uncanny knack for picking just the right actors (and directors for that matter) at just the right stages in their career.