Main Menu

Black Mirror Series 3

Started by Goaty, 07 October, 2016, 04:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

CrazyFoxMachine

San Junipero

Yeah - easily the highlight of the bunch for neatly eschewing the thing I'd quoted in the last episode. Admittedly (possibly ironically) it felt like it dragged on too long towards the end but at times genuinely touching and interestingly structured. Heaven is what you make it.

That rare thing, a Black Mirror episode I'd watch again rather than consigning it to a traumatic memory part of my brain.  :D

CrazyFoxMachine

So behind with my telly that our festive period is being used as catch up time (I'll be watching Christmas TV in February lol ((I'M NOT JOKING)) ) - so here we are with that most festive of programmes...

Men Against Fire

Yes. This really worked - I genuinely believe this will be studied in decades to come as it's a really smart narrative all about perception and moral relativism and it works well as a nihilistic foil to the (relatively) optimistic San Bernadino. Exaggerated liberalism to some but in these times of unquestionable opinions being force-fed by tabloids and television it feels extraordinarily well-timed and prescient.

Blown away by how mature Brooker has become, SB and MAF are both devoid of the awkward holes Black Mirror normally falls into and I've swallowed my cynicism.

CrazyFoxMachine

Hated in the Nation

....aaaand then you went and spoiled it all by for some reason making one of the episodes feature leeenngth. An otherwise fairly serviceable bit of [spoiler]whodunnit with bees[/spoiler] ruined by a flabby last act that dragged its heels for flipping ages. Nice to see 15 Storeys High's Benedict Wong and there were some horribly tense moments but it sorely lacked the lightness of touch that worked so well with Men Against Fire.

Overall - a patchy series that simultaneously featured BM's very best and absolute worst moments. But absolutely benefited from awesome casting a big fat budget. Here's hoping Netflix do more!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 02 January, 2017, 09:27:03 PM
Here's hoping Netflix do more!

The contract is for 12 episodes - so another 6 are to be produced.

JOE SOAP

Interesting to compare first episode Nosedive with the episode App Development and Condiments in the fifth series of Community: two app developers introduce a 5 point rating system to the campus called Meow Meow Beenz - obviously Greendale descends into a hellish dystopia of fake meritocracy within a few days.

It's the exact same idea and there's a lot of crossover between how both shows handle the concept but Community obviously has to do it in with a lot less time, budget and a lot more humour.

Steve Green

Just restarting my watch of this.

I got to Shut Up and Dance around the time Trump won, so bleak TV series wasn't top of my to watch pile.

Thankfully San Junipero is relatively optimistic. I think I need to find the spotify list of tracks.

Goaty