Main Menu

VOTE FOR THE 2011 COVER OF THE YEAR!

Started by Pete Wells, 11 December, 2011, 10:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

Hooray! It's the annual 2000AD cover of the year vote! This year, to avoid another 'Maths-gate' scandal, I've asked a fellow boarder to verify my shonky result before I announce (and more importantly, contact) the 'winner!'

Here's how it works - All of the years' covers are posted below, beautifully unsullied by logos and the like, and you get to vote for THREE. Your fave cover is worth 3 points, second fave is worth 2 and third is worth 1 point. If you want to look more closely at each cover, or see how much blood seat and tears have gone onto it's creation, then you can go to http://2000adcovers.blogspot.com/ and use the search bar at the top to find it. I'll close the voting at midnight on January 2nd 2012.

As you'll see, it's been another amazing year for covers so it's going to be as tough as ever to choose! Good luck to all our fine artdroids! Right, let's go:

Remeber, voting closes at midnight on January 2nd 2012. Get to it my pretties!

Greg M.

It has been a really great year for covers... found it very hard narrowing this down to three (in particular, was surprised I ended up bumping the Shakara / Vitruvian man one out of the top slots.)

1: 1752 – D'Israeli – Low Life – I had to think long and hard about making this one number 1, particularly because I'm not actually that fond of 'Low Life' as a strip. But that's not the point - as a cover, this is utterly superb on every level – concept, execution, colour. Flawless.

2: 1760 – Chris Weston – Indigo Prime. Wonderfully horrible, gloriously stomach-churning, and a very welcome reunification of the Smith brain and the Weston pen.

3: 1729 – Flesh – James Mackay – A satanic dinosaur eats a future-cowboy inside another dinosaur's guts! What other comic would put that on the cover? Beautifully painted stuff.

SmallBlueThing

I've had this all worked out for a while now- and have been very interested to see if any of the later progs would come in late and change things. They didn't, so here are the results from the Small Blue Jury:

3rd place (1 point): 1729. James McKay's Gorehead cover. BIG MOODY MONSTER ALERT! Loved the strip, and loved the covers. All praise to Liam Sharp's cinematic opener, but this one really impressed me.

2nd place (2 points): 1760. Chris Weston's Indigo Prime. Insects eating people- if that's not what the prog should be about, then I'm cancelling my order and buying CLiNT.

1st place (3 points): 1738. Cliff Robinson's veg heads. A classic 2000AD image, rendered in the inimitable Robinson style- as bursting with thrillpower as it's possible to get.

BUT: With Greg's post below, are the "1, 2, 3" the places or the points? Only 1760 comes out untouched, if it's the one, not the other.

SBT

LARF

3rd Place: 1760 Chris Weston
2nd Place: 1738 Cliff Robinson
1st Place: 1763 Henry Flint

So difficult.

BTW - 1736 is Red Seas, Not Dante

Thanks for doing this Pete - awesome!

Zarjazzer

Difficult...

3rd. 1760 Chris Weston, Indigo prime- craazy cover maahnn!
2nd. 1724 Liam Sharp, Flesh-cinematic baby.
1st   1717 John  Davis Hunt,Kingdom-I just like it.

Lots of close runners but these are the ones that won out in my drink addled brain.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Greg M.

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 11 December, 2011, 11:07:08 AM

BUT: With Greg's post below, are the "1, 2, 3" the places or the points? Only 1760 comes out untouched, if it's the one, not the other.

Sorry, I didn't make my vote clear: 1,2,3 was meant to be the places - so 1752 in 1st place (3 points), 1729 in 3rd place (1 point).

Pete Wells

It was clear Greg, it was just SBT having a daft moment!

Sorry the images are a bit fiddly to see on the forum guys, if you prefer you can go to my blog where they're a bit easier to see...

Darren Stephens

Sweet lord, there were some cracking covers this past twelve months, eh? The votes from the Stephens household are as follows...

1st Place : Prog 1760 Chris Weston Oldskool. Brilliantly inventive, superbly drawn.

2nd Place : Prog 1738 Cliff Robinson Ditto!

3rd place : Prog 1750 Greg Staples We don't see enough of the Staples droid, these days and this wrap-around cover made up for that somewhat.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

CrazyFoxMachine

1st - 1763 by the Flintster.

Gorgeous. I bloody love this man and he's been spoiling us this year. Had to keep changing my choice - the Shakara wraparound is just... gorgeous and the Zombo one (you KNOW which) is EXTRAORDINARY. But this - as Pete said (also kudos on putting them all together sans titles chap) - description-defying and iconic.

2nd -1751 by Simon Davis

Ignoring the series, which baby didn't light my fire (despite some really beautiful and consistent painting from the spellbinding veteran Burns). This is one of the most gorgeous covers in 2000ad history and proves without a shadow that SD is one of the finest artists working for the prog. Up there, even, with the paints of John Burns.

3rd - 1752 by D'Israeli D'Emon D'raughtsman

There were truly some amazing covers this year (I mulled over Trevallion's Absalom two and Liam Sharp's beautiful clutch) but I had to vote D'Israeli - as the overthinking-man's artist (his cover blog for Pete boggles the mind) this has just SO MANY LAYERS. He's one of my favourite comic artists of all time and each panel is a joy. This cover is another masterpiece.

bluemeanie

Even harder than last year but my top 3... I think....

1st - 1727 Shakara - Henry Flint

2nd - 1762 Angel Zero - Lee Garbett

3rd - 1717 Kingdom - Jon Davis Hunt

(oh, and isnt 1730 also Jon?)

Em-bot

1) has to be Simon Davis 1751 Angel Zero cover for me. Just too beautiful. 2) D'Israeli Low life 1752 and number 3) is 1742 Henry Flint's Zombo cover.

Tough this year! Some amazing covers, I changed my mind about 2 and 3 several times, but that Simon Davis cover was always going to be number one for me. Made me cry a little bit and took me several days to open the prog because I couldn't look away from the cover.  :)

leebrown1990

1) 1727 - Henry Flint Shakara
2) 1725- Henry Flint Shakara wraparound
3) 1724- Liam Sharp Flesh wraparound

Cheers,
Lee
"After 2,000 years of keeping them breeding inside the one bloodline, we're lucky the bastard doesn't have antennae."

SKD

Another amazing year of cover art splendour, a difficult choice to make but...... In reverse order.

3rd - 1715 - Clint Langley - Shakara. A great, straightforward (severed) headshot.

2nd - 1729 - James Mackay - Flesh. It's a black Tyrannosaurus eating a cowboy, what's not to like.

1st - 1738 - Cliff Robinson - Dredd. I'll say no more......

Stew.

TordelBack

1.  1729 - Gorehead! by James McKay.  This is what I buy comics for.
2.  1725 - Shakara wraparound!  by Henry Flint.  This is what I buy comics for.
3.  1724 - Flesh wraparound!  by Liam Sharp.  This etc.

An interesting exercise, as always - I think Liam's 1724 Flesh opener was the only one of those 3 I would have picked out as a winner at the time, but the other two have really grown on me as times passed.