Main Menu

Prog 1975 - top cop for the chop?

Started by jannerboyuk, 02 April, 2016, 11:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jannerboyuk

Cover: well it's a bit on the nose. Interesting given the conversation elsewhere about 2000ad being rated 18! That cover will do that.
Dreaded: bubbling along nicely, more insight into city administration. That gets my juices flowing - seriously! Would nice for the big Meg to make some progress rather than just surviving
3rillers: skimmed, just never caught my imagination
Survival geeks: really enjoying this, nice buffy vibe and the art is growing on me. Love the observing rats in the foreground
Tainted: a story is taking shape that mitigates the fatalism, more about a character resisting evil than the end we already know.
Aquila: enjoyed this more this week, more about the mythology and less silly and tasteless blood and guts. A better balance for me.
Future thrills: black shuck - wots that then?

Darren Stephens

My favourite cover in a while and it turns up mullered by Royal Mail.  >:(
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Geoff

Amazing cover - but who's that with the big axe wound in his head?!

It's not in the story...don't suppose it matters though...

Colin YNWA

Superb cover behind which is a superb episode of Dredd. Absolutely loving this, looks great and the balance between the two strands of the tale is perfect. Just fantastic.

Alas the rest is as its been to date and really not to my taste. Of course the good thing is we get our first change next week as the 3riller finished this week.

Tjm86

I'm with Colin on this week's prog.  Dredd is definitely the highlight although it is shaping up to be another one that may well read better at the end.  This week does feel like a filler.

The rest?  Well I accept that there are seasons when the prog is a bit 'meh' to me.  It is to be expected with an anthology that caters for a wide range of tastes.  Nothing hideous, just ... hey ho.  Sorry.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Geoff on 02 April, 2016, 01:11:44 PMAmazing cover - but who's that with the big axe wound in his head?!
Judge Dead.

Frank

Putting this here so I can copy and paste later.

Thanks for taking the time to organise this every year, Pete. We've been spoilt for choice, but here are my votes for 2000ad cover of the year:

3 points - prog 1975, Top Cop For The Chop, by Brendan McCarthy

2 points - TBC

1 point - TBC

Pete Wells

I, Cosh

It's a beauty, isn't it? Love how Dredd's rad cloak is billowing out like the shoulder eagle unfolding its mighty wings of justice.
We never really die.

Skullmo

Dredd is by far the best strip, having said that I am really not buying the whole 'the city only has 15 judges left and is being bullied by everyone' angle.
It's a joke. I was joking.

ZenArcade

In a way I agree. They seem to be essentially closed economies. Ok DOC was rough, a fair bit of the citybwas thrashed and a lot of cits and Judges (though percentage wise, a lot less than the cit casualties).
But, correct me if I'm wrong, in DOC it was specifically pointed out that strategic installations were secured. A lot of missles were expended on the sharky/fishy spaceship city, but they could be replaced.
The Meg has armies of robot soldiers; extra solar colonies and probably much else. It would seem to be unwise going up against all of this, directed and controlled by intensly tough, pragmatic and certainly ruthless Judges. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

McNulty

I understand what you are saying but consider this, although Chaos Day might not have destroyed the same percentage of Judges as citizens, at the end of the pestilence there were still still about 35 million citizens left alive in Mega City One. Thanks to immigration from the Cursed Earth and other cities, that number has risen to over 165 million. Presumably the attraction being that overcrowding in their existing cities, or quality of life being seen as better in Mega City One, many have flocked to the city, vastly raising its dwindled population. And although there is evidence that other mega cities have allowed their judges to transfer (Joyce, Pax, ect) There can be no doubt that the current level of judges are not equivalent to the numbers of citizens.
Robot Judges have not been considered yet and many cadets were slaughtered during Chaos Day by Democracy fanatics. Even accelerated clone tanks cannot produce adult clones yet. Genetically engineered troops and robot soldiers are not specially programmed to dispense justice so realistically they could only be used for riot control.
In defence of the city from foreign aggression, however, I do agree with you. A lot of city defences are automated and Mega City One could probably mount a sustainable defence against most aggressors. Short of another pre-emptive nuclear assault in the vein of the Apocalypse War, it would seem unlikely that an enemy force would be capable of invasion of the city. And what would be the point of conquering a radioactive city with no people? 

Frank

Quote from: McNulty on 02 April, 2016, 09:10:12 PM
Quote from: ZenArcade on 02 April, 2016, 08:03:45 PM
The Meg has armies of robot soldiers; extra solar colonies and probably much else.

A lot of city defences are automated and Mega City One could probably mount a sustainable defence against most aggressors.

The same is presumably true of Brit Cit, resulting in stalemate, but I don't think the term "muscle" should be taken literally [1].

If the businesses of MC1 are to rebuild, they need access to the consumer markets of other cities and the source of revenue they provide. Denying MC1 that access would be as devastating as any nuke.

Conversely, the reduced size of its population means access to MC1's consumer markets doesn't confer the same bargaining power as it did 4 years ago. Telling Hershey to take a hike doesn't carry the same weight of consequences.

If the populations of MC1 and BC [2] retained the relative proportions of the current US and UK, the population of Brit Cit would now be similar to that of MC1. So entering into an entirely avoidable conflict, whether economic or military, wouldn't be a smart move [3].

[1] And by literally, I mean figuratively. Just not that ^ kind of figuratively.

[2] Prior to the Apocalypse War

[3] For either city. And why would the Brits want to start a war with a city they were sending aid and mech units just a few years ago?

Bad City Blue

We've lost some great strips recently...

Dredd is good as ever, always nice to see a horror homage.

3rillers was quite dull, with 1970s art.

Survival Geeks is fun, worth it for the sight of a Cthulu humping Henry Hoover

Tainted might go somewhere but I'm not gripped.

Aquila is okay, missing the original artist though.

Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there