Prog 1976 - Hit and Myth

Started by Colin YNWA, 09 April, 2016, 11:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpongeJosh

James Stacey

James Stacey

It's a classic Boris Vallejo pose. Makes a cracking cover

Darren Stephens

Love that cover, it has a vibrancy that's rarely seen in this type of art. The colours remind me of Alex Konstad, one of my favourite artists outside comics.  ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Magnetica

Is it me or has Colin Macneil's minimalist artwork gone even more minimalist? Comparing what is in the Prog at present with say Day of Chaos, it seems Day of Chaos was more detailed.

Dandontdare

Quote from: James Stacey on 10 April, 2016, 11:22:07 AM
It's a classic Boris Vallejo pose. Makes a cracking cover

I was thinking Frazetta, but it's definitely old-school!

James Stacey

Frank

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 11 April, 2016, 09:28:48 AM
Love that cover, it has a vibrancy that's rarely seen in this type of art. The colours remind me of Alex Konstad, one of my favourite artists outside comics

Or Mark Rothko [1]:

[1] Is that actually a Rothko, or did I just google 'DIY Nightmares'? You'll never know.

SuperSurfer

I like the cover but in an ironic way.

It is ironic, right?

TordelBack

Quote from: Richard on 09 April, 2016, 02:54:13 PM
Wonder what happened to Judge Buell then?

Wondering this too. Very fond of Arthur, but his star was waning since Chaos Day and Garcia's death - lots of dodgy decisions re: Lenny Zero and the assassination of the MegaCity Confidential lad. I think we've seen this Waldron before too...?  Not quite sure why even Hershey would put such a hand-wringing liberal in charge of the SJS... What MC1 need to do is strengthen the West Wall and make the muties pay for it. Oh, and nuke BritCit if they're getting uppity.

More 'seriously', I'm dealing with the idea of BritCit as baddies by remembering the Armitage version of its government, all inbred Star Chamber shenanigans.

The Monarch

I can buy brit cit as villians simply by pointing out as tordelback mentioned that brit cits always been kinda dodgy since armitage

TordelBack

Soooo, Tainted was very interesting this week, aside from continuing to be my fave strip of the year so far. Cimarron (of movie fame) is of course a real place, in the Oklahoma panhandle, and Wikipedia tells me that there are indeed Tuscarora Indians in OK - like Sheriff Proudwater, perhaps? This suggests Deadworld is a much closer analogue to our world than I had imagined, and one that escaped the Atomic War of MC-1's world.  They also had Mad Cow disease, apparently.

Also, it looks like the Sisters at least are extradimensional intelligences who just inhabit 'human' forms, which seems better than them being evil witches.  Did we know any of this before? Am I just being dim again?

ZenArcade

No, we didn't know this.  The Dead World was similar to the earth, but not identical. This Dead World seems to be an exact Earth in another dimension.  Weird how this story has a distinct American feel; whereas Young Death had an almost 1950's post war English aura.
The Dead fluids seem to be a Molecular Biological liquid and over all there is a feeling of the application of scientific methodology to this strip.
Like TB, I am of the opinion that this is by far and away the best story in the prog, Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

TordelBack

Cheers, Zen. I was always a bit disappointed by the Little Shop of Horrors Deadworld of Young Death and the vaguely Young Frankenstein one in Dead Reckoning, slightly less so that of Half Life. This one, in Dreams and Tainted, freaks me out badly. I don't know why, but both series have given me godawful nightmares - which  I presume is the intention. So thanks for that, lads.

I don't know why this works so well for me: the story is nothing new, the characters are indistinct, we already know the ending, the art is the opposite end of the spectrum from what I usually like... But by grud it's powerful stuff.

Proudhuff

The Frazetta cover does nothing for me as does the Dullworld story art.

However Mr McNeil's is genius IMHO, it may look minimalist but all the detail is there in the silhouettes which lets your mind fill the gaps, the colouring too has been top notch. The panels flow easily and the sound effects are amazingly incorporated into the art without intrusive.

Enjoying the Geeks tale but feel I'm probably missing half the Easter eggs due to low Geekage scores.

I imagine the 'practical Bob' haircut for female judges is a bit like the Hilter 'tash in that well the boss has one...
DDT did a job on me