Main Menu

Prog 1983

Started by moly, 28 May, 2016, 12:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moly

Great last page in judge dredd this week

Black shuck and grey area were good and well slaine just goes on, saving brink to read in one go

Nice cover by fabry

Colin YNWA

And with 1983 the Progs recover seems to be in place. While its not an outstanding issue there's not a real dud in there, but only a couple are outstanding.

So starting with those Dredd continues to be sublime and Blink takes quite a turn at the end. This is turning into a fantastic series and I can't wait to see where this goes. Culbard's work is astonishing. His use of background characters, completely incidental to the story is just fantastic and really brings the cramped conditions of the 'habitats' to life. So vivid.

Good is Grey Area with a weird but very enjoyable wedding. All a bit leftfield but fun.

Solid are Slaine, which is starting to build back to form I hope and Black Shuck which has a competant opening lifted by some stella art.

So overall a good if not astonishing Prog.

Richard

Next week's Dredd promises to be very interesting...

Beaker

Dredd....excellent and yep, the last page is a doozy.

Buggered if I know whats going on in Slaine, it seems to have been two people hitting each other with axes for five weeks.

Brink will need a re-read but I love some of the idiosyncratic dialogue.

Black Shuck is pretty cool, everything Slaine isn't now imo.

Grey Area...hmm, not sure. I loved this when it started but it seems to have wandered too far from the original concept.

Still as always with 2000ad, if you don't like a story another one will be along in a few weeks time.
"I've got 'em.....I just ain't scratching!'

Ghost MacRoth

Cover: Nice.  Bit dark to pop out on the shelves, but once noticed, should draw some interest.

Dredd:  Yep...Texas is up to something.

Slaine: Great....a stand up routine during a fight.  Brilliant. Pat must be just phoning the scripts in nowadays eh?

Brink:  Meh.  Indifferent to it the now.... but if pushed have to say not enjoying.

Black Shuck:  Remember the name....but can't remember a thing about it.  Will have to wait and see what happens or go dig out the floppy gave away with the megs a while back.

Grey Area: Nice to look at as always, but a slow episode.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Richard

Quoteit seems to have wandered too far from the original concept.
Not always a bad thing.
Imagine reading The Cursed Earth of The Judge Child for the first time and thinking to yourself "I thought this series was meant to be about a cop fighting street crime? It's wandered too far from that."

Jacqusie

Quote from: Beaker on 30 May, 2016, 05:00:35 PM

Buggered if I know whats going on in Slaine, it seems to have been two people hitting each other with axes for five weeks.

Only five weeks? It feels more like 5 years I'm sad to say. Unless a great big spaceship comes down in the middle of a fight (or a huge pink foot) - zaps everyone and takes Slaine on a zany magic trip, it just ain't happening for me...

;)

coastguardjackuk

Not been on for a little while but had to get straight on after reading Tharg's response in the letters page to the squaxx who asks for info regarding the Netflix/Amazon 'thing'. Assumed the forums would be ablaze with discussion about Tharg's reply but can't fine any discussion anywhere. Am I missing something here?
Building up a nice crust since 1969...

Steve Green

There was probably a little in the Dredd movie thread.

To sum up,

Movie/TV rights are back with Rebellion
Alex Garland has said if a sequel would be made it would be a different team
Karl Urban is still interested.
It's early days - still have to get people interested in stumping up the money, and what form it would take.

Something along those lines.

Proudhuff

Dredd is on top form and I'm loving it cracking tale from the 'United States' story line to the easter eggs hidden in plain sight, couldn't get better... well maybe next week after that reveal!

The rest of the prog seems to be talking heads..admittedly two knocking the feck out each other, but cheezo, what is the word could in the Prog this week? what ever happened to show don't tell...
DDT did a job on me

Verence

Just seen the last page of this week's Dredd story and I have to say I was wondering what a certain resident of Brit-Cit would have been thinking about all that was going on :D

sheridan

Quote from: Jacqusie on 30 May, 2016, 10:30:21 PM
Only five weeks? It feels more like 5 years I'm sad to say. Unless a great big spaceship comes down in the middle of a fight (or a huge pink foot) - zaps everyone and takes Slaine on a zany magic trip, it just ain't happening for me...

;)
Ah, the DR & Quinch treatment...

matty_ae

What's brilliant about 2000ad is when it gives artists the 100% right moment to shine

P J Holden on the right story, at the right time.

Makes you feel proud. And considering the amount of time & advice he gives on this board it feels a bit like karma.

Please give him enough to make a solid tpb out of.

Proudhuff

Quote from: matty_ae on 01 June, 2016, 04:57:16 PM
What's brilliant about 2000ad is when it gives artists the 100% right moment to shine

P J Holden on the right story, at the right time.

Makes you feel proud. And considering the amount of time & advice he gives on this board it feels a bit like karma.

Please give him enough to make a solid tpb out of.

This Tharg ^^ This!
DDT did a job on me