Main Menu

Prog 1990 - Standing Tall

Started by Colin YNWA, 16 July, 2016, 05:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Proudhuff on 21 July, 2016, 03:59:48 PM

Two stunners and three mehs, like a mutie female gunslinger....

Only on a 2000ad message board!

TordelBack

Quote from: Proudhuff on 21 July, 2016, 03:59:48 PM
I think this is what Mr Wagner hoped for when he set up the DoC sandbox.

Yeah, that sums up my feelings very nicely.  This has been a really enjoyable ride with Dredd's eventual triumph being the only predicatble thing about it: simultaneously expansive and low key, using the new status quo to do new things.

ZenArcade

So: how many Judges are there in Mega City One now?

Runs off into the distance. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

I, Cosh

Well, after a brief upturn last week, it's another fairly awful Prog this week. Outlier joins Black Shuck in the land of Thrills whose previous runs were so uninspiring I can't bring myself to care about them now.

Brink pulls another great surprise out of the bag. Fascinated to see how this plays out and when we can expect more. Slightly nauseous at the prospect of something so good being replaced by Flesh.

Scarlet Traces might have stretched this week's encounter a bit further than it needed but it looks glorious and the David Bowie/Orlando Doyle Martian has me intrigued.

Despite Colin MacNeil's best efforts, I can't really get too excited about a Dredd story which just fizzles out and has to be explained in a separate magazine.

Good cover though.
We never really die.

Richard

That didn't fizzle out! And it didn't need explaining. It's as if you read a different prog by mistake.

NapalmKev

I'm happy to see the return of Outlier, I enjoyed the first two series.

Black Shuck is in the Prog! I'm not a fan to be honest, it all feels a bit dull. Just like the first series.

Dredd could've benefited with an extra episode or two. I felt the whole thing wrapped up too quickly.

Brink has grown on me.

Scarlet Traces - good episode this week. Gives me a bit of confidence in the strip as I felt the first two episodes a bit lacklustre.

Cheers

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Satanist

Prog has been coasting for a good few months now (imo) and I'm hopeful that theres some better stuff round the corner.

Brink and Scarlet Traces are the pick of the bunch for me.

I really dont like the fact that a lengthy Dredd tale gets wrapped up in the meg as I dont buy it and even this move wont change that. Got the general gist of it from the review thread though.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Mardroid

I'd say it is wrapped up here. The Meg instalments more of an epilogue. Worthwhile, in its own way, but not essential to this story.

It could be important for continuing arcs involving Texas City though...mm     

Mardroid

The "mm" is a typo that I can't correct.

Echidna

Dredd: A good wrap-up to a thoroughly entertaining series. Respect due to Carroll for crafting a high-stakes story without resorting to mass destruction or (Oswin's Ma-Ma Gambit aside) the threat of it.

Who's Phil Vaughan?

Outlier isn't a favourite of mine - too many square-jawed, frowny men - but I'm glad it's getting a final series.

Black Shuck: It's true, your honour. This man has no dick.

Echidna

As always, Butch delivers the facts. Thanks; I've listened to all of ESW2000AD but apparently forgot about that one!

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Cosh on 21 July, 2016, 11:06:05 PM
Despite Colin MacNeil's best efforts, I can't really get too excited about a Dredd story which just fizzles out 

your mouth is full of wrong!
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Seldom thoughtless are the words of The Cosh, but I am interested in why some folk feel this way. I can see this being an issue with Doomsday where Dredd gets [spoiler]some robots of his own and the baddie just gets bored and gives up[/spoiler], but in Best Little Grand Hall... the Mikenauts assemble and take Oswin down witha combo of their individual special moves, including one that started the whole story. Very neat, very satisfying.

TordelBack

Incidentally, I've just noticed Carroll's covert colonisation of the Dreddverse. He's created the new MC-2 status quo, he's installed his Lewis in Texas City, he's reworked Joyce and Emerald Isle, made free with Armitage and Brit Cit, visited Uranium City and even reintroduced the Lawlords! What's next, Mike: pan-Africa?