Main Menu

Prog 1993 : MINDCRIMES!

Started by Darren Stephens, 06 August, 2016, 12:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jannerboyuk

Tuesday and still no ab prog :( I'll be getting it at the same time as the hoi polloi the horror the horror

Keef Monkey

Great prog for me, as while I do miss Brink (loved it, loved it, loved it) Black Shuck I'm afraid had lost me so I found myself skim-reading that which is rare in the prog.

Dredd was great and coming along nicely, even knowing how evil PJ is I still find myself shocked at his callousness sometimes.

Thinking I need to read Outlier in a oner as I'm getting a little lost with that one, I did really enjoy the previous series though and it still looks grand so I'm sure I'll dig it when I do. Just been a while since it was last in the prog, that plus my poor memory always equals confusion.

The 3riller is off to a good start, looks fantastic (as MacNeil strips always do) and the idea is a neat one.

Scarlet Traces maybe wins the prog for me, it really is brilliant in all regards.

Great to see Anderson back, although the art hasn't totally clicked with me off the bat. I'm sure it'll grow on me, just always a little jarring to see a new take on a character you're familiar with I guess, especially as it's so different to the cover art (which I loved). Story has hooked nice and fast, looking forward to more of this.

All round it's a top drawer prog Thargy baby.

ZenArcade

Just read this over lunch, I nearly dropped my 'flat white' (they have a nascent hipster scene in Belfast....and I'm well on the way to my first flat cap purchase!!).  I could have sworn I was looking at Cam Kennedy art work....no criticism, it was a delightful read.  Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Frank

Do you reckon the Zenith style, Bowie themed next prog lines are the work of Edginton or editorial? Can't wait to read the episode trailed with Chant Of The Ever Circling Skeleton Family.

If that was Edginton's only contribution this week, it would have been enough. This visit to Scarlet Tracey's would have worked without dialogue; Brooker managing to make it a compendium of his many art styles, from the technical drawing of the ship in space, the Hergé character work, to the moments when his non-linear Stickleback style explodes into colour (above).

I'm completely incapable of exercising any critical faculties over Carlos drawing a Wagner Dredd story. Every moment of it was Heaven: Maybe joining the 1% in Warren Buffet, Dredd's sarcasm on the phone to PSU, and an impossibly butch Ezquerra profile shot of a leather clad Dredd dreaming of Tranny PJ feeling him up.

"He would like that". Oh yeah, Joey - he would like that, sure! Dredd's actually staring wistfully at Maybe as he fantasises about getting intimate with him - look at the diagonal of the old horndog's eye line:

That eye line, and the way it's echoed by the abstract 45 degree pink and purple background shape and the diagonal tilt of the TV screen, is no coincidence. Fancy making it all the way to your seventies before having your moment of homosexual panic. PJ's giving Dredd a DeMarco moment before this one's done.

Mind Mine's use of characters with inflated rubber gloves for faces as the regular cast reminded me of Milligan and Higgins's Freaks. It's an interesting premise, even if I'm not really sure how the Mind Bombs are planted, how they spread, or how they explode. MacNeil's art will keep me entertained while I find out whether the story's Bikini Atoll or a UXB.

Does anyone else read this as BUTLER?

Timothy

I've not noticed the shield on Anderson's shoulder eagle before. Is this a new thing?

colindean

Well this is novel; people are still talking about a prog I've read.

Dredd:  Wagner ... Ezquerra ... P. J. Maybe on a murderous rampage (dressed as a woman) ... nuff said.

Scarlett Traces:  Loving the art and am interested to see where this is going.

Tharg's 3rillers:  Looking good.  I especially like MacNeil's art on the first page.

Outlier:  I've not read the previous series of this story, so am a little lost .  Still, it seems to be building towards something that will be worth a read.

Anderson:  I enjoyed Beeby's first outing with Anderson over in the Meg, and this seems to be shaping up well.

All up, an interesting prog, with Dredd (or should I say P. J.) a cut above the rest.

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: colindean on 11 August, 2016, 04:03:44 AM
Dredd:  Wagner ... Ezquerra ... P. J. Maybe on a murderous rampage (dressed as a woman) ... nuff said.

I'm quite behind, but hot damn I'm excited for this! Man we're lucky.

James Stacey

Quote from: Butch on 10 August, 2016, 10:27:48 PM

"He would like that". Oh yeah, Joey - he would like that, sure! Dredd's actually staring wistfully at Maybe as he fantasises about getting intimate with him - look at the diagonal of the old horndog's eye line:

I'm pretty sure I read that in a completely different way than you :D

drsmuts

Loving Dredd at the moment. Was thinking the other day that John and Carlos are still putting out top quality stuff almost 40 years after their first story. What an amazing achievement.

One thing has crossed my mind....no first person narration with spelling misdaiks for "PJ" so far.....hmmm.

Link Prime

Quote from: drsmuts on 11 August, 2016, 09:15:10 AM
One thing has crossed my mind....no first person narration with spelling misdaiks for "PJ" so far.....hmmm.

That didn't escape my notice either.
Yet, the narrative seems to be definitively trying to establish that it really is Maybe, without the get-out clause of another possible face change.

A Wagnerian bluff?

James Stacey

Hasn't this happened in Chaos day before though (I'm going purely on memory here) where the story is with Dredd, PJ is brought into the story, then it flips to his perspective once it's been established.

AlexF

There's a couple of pages in the Anderson story where our Cass is wondering through a crowd listening on people's thoughts and reacting to them, including making an arrest. Is it possible that this is the first time she's been shown using her powers in this way? It seems like exactly what Psi Judges ought to be doing in MC1 - can this sequence really not have happened before? (Beyond the 'don't even think it, creep!' strapline from days of yore)

It's especially good at reminding the reader how authoritarian the Judges are, as there's nothing harsher than being arrested for a crime you're thining about committing, but haven't actually commited!

Anyway, that strip and the cover are the Top Thirll for me this week.

James Stacey

On a side note, do we know if Alan Grant has retired or just stepped back from Anderson. I don't remember seeing anything at all from him for a while?

Satanist

Quote from: James Stacey on 11 August, 2016, 11:20:04 AM
On a side note, do we know if Alan Grant has retired or just stepped back from Anderson. I don't remember seeing anything at all from him for a while?

He has an Anderson coming up in prog 2000.

Anyhoo this was a great prog behind a great cover this week. Dredd and ST are my picks of the bunch.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

James Stacey

Quote from: Satanist on 11 August, 2016, 11:24:05 AM
Quote from: James Stacey on 11 August, 2016, 11:20:04 AM

He has an Anderson coming up in prog 2000.

Anyhoo this was a great prog behind a great cover this week. Dredd and ST are my picks of the bunch.
cool thanks