Main Menu

Prog 1993 : MINDCRIMES!

Started by Darren Stephens, 06 August, 2016, 12:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

What's that you say Tordelback you waffler, Anderson is the standout strip in this week's prog?  Why yes Tordelback, thanks for seeking clarification, that's exactly what I say.

Having really enjoyed the Beeby/Currie 'Mutineers' story in the Meg, I was excited to see her back in the prog written by Beeby. Now, while I love Andrew Currie's exuberant art generally, and particularly so on the Meg story, his cheesecakey 20-something Cass did seem to jar with the Anderson-as-mentor role that Beeby wrote for her.  So what a brilliant choice Nick Dyer was for this outing.  Look, I'd be happy if Dyer was in every single prog, I think he's almost criminally underrated and underused, and I think his 'classic 2000AD' B&W look represents some of the greatest art stylings of recent years. But this strip, with the addition of old-colouring-hand Elson, is something special. Hard-as-nails 50-something Anderson, distinctive characters, dramatic poses, claustrophobic backgrounds... really great stuff. 

Combine that with a Psi-Div story that actually explores how an oppressive thugocracy might employ psychics, a pedagogic Anderson that builds Grant's miserabilist character in a more positive direction, a bit of Mayoral politics, Flowers as a potential foil (although I'm still looking for more wisecracks from Cass), and I'm really happy with the result. 

It's still very odd to see Anderson without Grant, but to be honest I haven't enjoyed Grant's Anderson in a long time, and even before that only sporadically.  If it takes a new hand to reinvigorate a great character, then Tharg has made a good choice, and I'm pleased to see it happen in the prog rather than hidden away in the back of the Meg.

Great cover too!

Tombo

Quote from: Timothyjacobs on 10 August, 2016, 10:48:10 PM
I've not noticed the shield on Anderson's shoulder eagle before. Is this a new thing?

Also the Judges are wearing their Lawgivers on their belts rather than in their boots, either it's a new uniform or it's an option for Judges when their expecting to be on their feet a lot rather than biking it (which makes sense)

TordelBack

Dyer (and some others - Staples, I think?) have done the beltgiver thing for a while now: reckon it's an artistic choice rather than an in-universe uniform change.  The shield on the other hand, that's very interesting.  Not psi-div because Flowers hasn't got it, not head of psi-division because she's still reporting to the seemingly immortal Shenker, not Senior Judge because that'd mean Dredd etc. would have to get one and that'd be insane... maybe a specific identifier for the commander of a bodyguarding/protection detail?  But most likely another artistic flourish!

Proudhuff

Cover:  Eye catching indeed, nice use of space/colour.

WTF has no-one read Damage Report? Do it now, and then come back and say newbie talent welcome...

Dredd:  PJ dressing well, has Dredd met his (perfect) male match?

Scarlet Traces:  Yes! Yes! Yes! a la When Harry met Sally  ;)

3rillers:  Good start. Great art.

Outlier: Has never held my attention.

Anderson, Psi Division:  Another good start, loving the artwork and Cass' practical hair-do, Lawless Take note!
DDT did a job on me

Steve Green

Quote from: Tordelback on 11 August, 2016, 01:06:03 PM
Dyer (and some others - Staples, I think?) have done the beltgiver thing for a while now: reckon it's an artistic choice rather than an in-universe uniform change.  The shield on the other hand, that's very interesting.  Not psi-div because Flowers hasn't got it, not head of psi-division because she's still reporting to the seemingly immortal Shenker, not Senior Judge because that'd mean Dredd etc. would have to get one and that'd be insane... maybe a specific identifier for the commander of a bodyguarding/protection detail?  But most likely another artistic flourish!

I'm guessing it's just a nod to the way the shield is on the 2012 uniform

Frank

Everybody gets their own, custom shoulder pad nowadays:

Everybody who's ever drawn the eagle has decided the talons look silly, and tried it with the badge instead. Then they decide it looks even more silly with the head sticking out without the legs to balance them, which is presumably why Dyer has the shield jutting out so far.

Prog 2000 cover artist, Chris Burnham, told the Thrill Cast that the eagle was one of the hardest things to get right, because every artist draws it a little bit differently and the range of styles causes a paralysis of choice. NOW THERE'S ONE MORE!

DMRiley

I have to say, that Dredd story is quite interesting, even with a male character crossdressing to evade Judge Dredd.

Depite starting late, the Outlier story is certainly interesting too.

TordelBack

Quote from: Butch on 11 August, 2016, 05:50:09 PM

Everybody who's ever drawn the eagle has decided the talons look silly, and tried it with the badge instead. Then they decide it looks even more silly with the head sticking out without the legs to balance them, which is presumably why Dyer has the shield jutting out so far.

Prog 2000 cover artist, Chris Burnham, told the Thrill Cast that the eagle was one of the hardest things to get right, because every artist draws it a little bit differently and the range of styles causes a paralysis of choice. NOW THERE'S ONE MORE!

If Dyer is using it to cover ornithological shortcomings he's still left drawing all the other judges showing their tailfeathers!  I'd say Steve has it right, just a nice nod to movie land.  And a reminder of one of the best things about Dred over the long haul, the degree to which artists like to tinker with the details.

Frank

Doh! I'm not to be trusted - I remembered Flowers being a white kid.

sheridan

Quote from: A.Cow on 06 August, 2016, 01:46:56 PM
Scarlet Traces:  Loving this, especially all the visuals.  The  (complete with rarely-seen back door & engines) has lovely concertina-style expanding wings for re-entry -- I've never seen this before in a spaceship design.  Very cool.
Thanks, I wondered where I recognised it from - has been far too long since I saw the Apes films (or read the book).

hippynumber1

Quote from: DMRiley on 11 August, 2016, 08:35:32 PM
I have to say, that Dredd story is quite interesting, even with a male character crossdressing to evade Judge Dredd.

Please clarify your point here.

Steve Green

Quote from: Tordelback on 11 August, 2016, 09:43:33 PM
Quote from: Butch on 11 August, 2016, 05:50:09 PM

If Dyer is using it to cover ornithological shortcomings he's still left drawing all the other judges showing their tailfeathers!  I'd say Steve has it right, just a nice nod to movie land.  And a reminder of one of the best things about Dred over the long haul, the degree to which artists like to tinker with the details.

There's also the neck roll from the 2012 version.

Hawkmumbler

"...This Lady ain't all Lady!"

Now here's a line that bugged me a little bit, do you reckon the undercover Judge realizes how transphobic a statement that inadvertently is? Assuming the poor cit pulled aside is indeed transgender, but considering the context of the investigation it's not far a stretch, it comes off as a little bit in poor taste.

A relatively minor quibble in an other wise insanely good prog, best the line up has been in a good long while.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 12 August, 2016, 03:49:04 PM

Now here's a line that bugged me a little bit, do you reckon the undercover Judge realizes how transphobic a statement that inadvertently is?

Why, yes, of course, because throughout the strip's almost 40-year history, the judges have been noted for their tact and sensitivity to the feelings of the citizenry.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 12 August, 2016, 04:34:55 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 12 August, 2016, 03:49:04 PM

Now here's a line that bugged me a little bit, do you reckon the undercover Judge realizes how transphobic a statement that inadvertently is?

Why, yes, of course, because throughout the strip's almost 40-year history, the judges have been noted for their tact and sensitivity to the feelings of the citizenry.
And thats the gospel truth, however I found this particular instance in somewhat poor taste and bellow Wagner.

As I said, a minor niggle.