Main Menu

*** Prog 2000 ***

Started by Dash Decent, 08 September, 2016, 03:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacqusie

No prog here - it's always interesting to gauge my emotions when this happens... I mean it's just a comic right!?  ;)

Magnetica

Just a comic...sorry I don't understand what you mean???

Sometimes I think I spend more time thinking about 2000AD more than anything else...even football :lol:

Jacqusie

Quote from: Magnetica on 10 September, 2016, 02:10:56 PM

Sometimes I think I spend more time thinking about 2000AD more than anything else...even football :lol:

Neither are currently worth thinking about today for me with no prog & the Owls loosing so far... at least Man Utd lost ey?

:)

Frank

Quote from: Jacqusie on 10 September, 2016, 03:25:01 PM
the Owls loosing

You should try Imodium. Everyone hates United because they spend so much money and make football boring by winning everything. Hooray for the plucky underdogs of City.

Quote from: Magnetica on 10 September, 2016, 01:08:25 PM
Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 10 September, 2016, 12:17:29 PM
On a different note, first Saturday in yonks that the Prog has failed to arrive. Grrrr.

Same here  :(

Fancy going bust just before prog 2000. Tharg's floating face down, off the bow of his luxury yacht, the SS Pension Fund.

strontium71

Maybe it's been delayed deliberately so as not to have anyone spoil the death in Dredd?
...because I hate you.

Frank

That would be genius, but Tharg's Future Shop has a huge banner at the top warning that they're switching warehouses (and distribution) during September. Denise has licked her last envelope.

Rio De Fideldo

I have an outstanding query issue with an order which I addressed to Denise. I guess that's why I've had no reply. Any ideas who to email to get the problem sorted.

Swerty

Will it be posted earlier like the subscribers get or just normal Wednesday delivery?

A.Cow

Quote from: Tordelback on 10 September, 2016, 11:04:18 AM
Prog 2000 Mk. II. Yes. That. Proceed!

The compulsive pedant in me has to ask ... have we had any word on retrospective Prog numbering nomenclature to avoid confusion between the "annual" Prog 20xx and the "weekly" Prog 20xx?

Personally, I'd go for the letter-suffix approach, i.e. Prog 1173a ("Prog 2000").

Hawkmumbler

Is it wrong that despite all the quality stuff we're getting in Prog 2000 the story i'm most looking forward to is COUNTERFEIT GIRL? Milligan and Dayglo....hhhmmmmm, yeah, thats the stuff!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: A.Cow on 11 September, 2016, 06:23:00 AM

The compulsive pedant in me has to ask ... have we had any word on retrospective Prog numbering nomenclature to avoid confusion between the "annual" Prog 20xx and the "weekly" Prog 20xx?

Personally, I'd go for the letter-suffix approach, i.e. Prog 1173a ("Prog 2000").

I thought we'd done this one? As 'annual' Progs marked years and are labelled as such thereforequests Prog 2000 ad , Prog 2001 ad... etc etc. The others coming up areally simply Prog 2000, Prog 2001 etc etc.

user2000

Quote from: Colin_MakingyamindUP on 11 September, 2016, 12:20:36 PM
Quote from: A.Cow on 11 September, 2016, 06:23:00 AM

I thought we'd done this one? As 'annual' Progs marked years and are labelled as such thereforequests Prog 2000 ad , Prog 2001 ad... etc etc. The others coming up areally simply Prog 2000, Prog 2001 etc etc.

I have to delurk here to say, as a fellow pendant (sic), this is something that has rankled with me a touch (in a pendantry kind of way).

It's all very well to say that the "annual" progs are named as years etc, but that flew out the window with Prog 2016, er - Prog 1961 - which like all the other yearly 100 page specials was essentially just another prog only larger and on sale for three weeks... only now numbered just like a normal prog.

Just another prog because the majority of the stories in the subsequent "proper" prog after New Year are a direct continuation from those in the "annual".  Different to other special progs, like the actual old school Annuals or Sci-Fi/Winter Specials which were overwhelmingly self contained.

So, for me anyway, being a nit-picking pendant, much as when Prog 520 was picket line crossingly wrongly celebrated as the 10th birthday prog, I'm afraid that the same is happening here with the 2000th issue, which of course actually happened 15 or so weeks ago.

Not that I actually have a solution for it, but it's not exactly unprecedented to have a calendar reformed is it?  And it's not as if others haven't done similar numbering shenanigans.

More annoying in a real way is that my Prog hasn't been arriving until TUESDAY in the past 3 or 4 weeks.  Where have my Saturday progs gone?  I see a few people saying they have had to wait til Monday on occasion, but this is becoming regular for me and is causing a severe Thrill Power depletion that I've had to concern myself with such petulant mundanity as above!    :D

A.Cow

Quote from: user2000 on 17 September, 2016, 10:28:20 PM
Not that I actually have a solution for it, but it's not exactly unprecedented to have a calendar reformed is it?  And it's not as if others haven't done similar numbering shenanigans.

Of course, the Megazine switched to "absolute" numbering quite a few years back, finally dropping all the "Volume N" nonsense.

Calendar reformation can be a mind-bending experience.  Like when the USA purchased Alaska and it switched from the Julian to Gregorian ... and jumped overnight from 6th to 18th October, with two Fridays in a row.  That's pretty wacky.

However, if were were to do that with Tooth, retrospective referencing might get complicated (e.g. Old Prog 1980 = New Prog 1995 or some such).  Mind you, it would give us something to moan about as we all get doddery and senile.

Colin YNWA

Yeah for me not worth the fuss or the effort. The old annual specials were named after the year and were more akin to the old annuals, even if the stories happened to roll into the regular Prog. Some one then changed their mind and made it into a super-sized regular Prog included in the number ordering.

Its really only an issue if you want it to be. Whatever we as individuals think the numbering should or shouldn't be its for the folk that produce the Galaxies Greatest to decide what they use, what will be marked on the cover as the Prog number and therefore what they choose to celebrate.

Tjm86

Quote from: A.Cow on 18 September, 2016, 01:55:30 AM
Mind you, it would give us something to moan about since we are all doddery and senile.

FTFY  ;)