Main Menu

The Daily Dredds, Vol. 2

Started by Sector Chief, 09 March, 2015, 10:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mute77

Can't wait for this. Volume 1 was one of the best things i'd read for a while though I wish i'd gone for the book plate edition now. I quite like the landscape format.

Michael Knight

Sheridan i was hoping same thing regarding reprinting the Metro strips. There doesn't seem to be a lot of love for them in general but they bring back fond memories of start of Uni days and they introduced a lot of mates to Dredd and in turn 2000ad.  :)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Leigh S on 02 October, 2016, 02:46:35 PM
... What with discovering the Flash Gordon dailys have finally started to get some reprint love from Titan...

Oh have they? That's tempting, I loved the Alex Raymond Sundays, how do the dailies hold up?

Back on topic... err Judge Dredd...

Trent

Ordered volume 2, hope it arrives by the end of the week.
Love volume 1 and went for the bookplate which gave a lovely Ron Smith image but felt a little shortchanged by the lack of any signatures, so not too surprised volume 2 is only available vanilla.
Volume 1 is my favourite toilet book, perfect for dipping into. Second volume won't have quite the same appeal with long form stories but I remember cutting out most of the tales and keeping them in a scrapbook (long gone) so a proper version will be wonderful.

Leigh S

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 02 October, 2016, 04:45:36 PM
Quote from: Leigh S on 02 October, 2016, 02:46:35 PM
... What with discovering the Flash Gordon dailys have finally started to get some reprint love from Titan...

Oh have they? That's tempting, I loved the Alex Raymond Sundays, how do the dailies hold up?

Back on topic... err Judge Dredd...

Just to stay off topic: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1782766839/ref=s9_simh_gw_g14_i2_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=DP4TM83F31SC3THZFPBQ&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=16f14aeb-bd11-4e9e-8c26-9ca0139074ee&pf_rd_i=desktop

These arent the first run of Daily strips sadly, which ran from 1940 to 44 had art by Austin Briggs and have been patchily reprinted. Havent got these yet, nor the recently released vol 4 of the Sundays that continues the stories after the Raymond Sundays ended (which I have in the 7 vol Checker reprints)

Steve Green

Quote from: Large48 on 13 May, 2016, 09:41:52 PM
Well there's lots of the original artwork available in complete story runs together in places.

I suspect the 1995 colour film adaptation (where we see Dredds face in print!!!!!) and the Metro ones will never see print even though Ron Smith artwork for the former is as lovely as ever.

Hopefully Robo-K33F will let us know again when they are after the original artwork..........

Keith was singing your praises on this last time I spoke to him BTW.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Leigh S on 02 October, 2016, 06:37:58 PM

Just to stay off topic: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1782766839/ref=s9_simh_gw_g14_i2_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=DP4TM83F31SC3THZFPBQ&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=16f14aeb-bd11-4e9e-8c26-9ca0139074ee&pf_rd_i=desktop

These arent the first run of Daily strips sadly, which ran from 1940 to 44 had art by Austin Briggs and have been patchily reprinted. Havent got these yet, nor the recently released vol 4 of the Sundays that continues the stories after the Raymond Sundays ended (which I have in the 7 vol Checker reprints)

I stopped getting the Sunday's after the Alex Raymond stuff finished as I don't know Austin Briggs and haven't been able to see a copy to check out the quality of his work... maybe I should get back on that horse...

sheridan

Quote from: Trent on 02 October, 2016, 05:54:54 PM
Volume 1 is my favourite toilet book, perfect for dipping into.

The pages would get wet!

Tony Angelino

Quote from: sheridan on 02 October, 2016, 09:53:46 PM
Quote from: Trent on 02 October, 2016, 05:54:54 PM
Volume 1 is my favourite toilet book, perfect for dipping into.

The pages would get wet!

Hilarious. Enjoyed that.

Michael Knight

Has anyone received Volume 2 yet? It says released on the 6th on Amazon but mine hasn't dispatched and i've got Prime membership meaning i should have had it next day.  :) 

Mute77

I pre ordered mine on amazon about two weeks ago and on the release date it just said they had my order and will send an email when they have some in stock. On their website it says they usually dispatch between 1-3 weeks so i assume they sold out and theyre waiting for more. I cancelled it and ordered from speedy hen via ebay. Turned up two days later and it was cheaper!

Michael Knight

I think im gonna do same mate. Thanks for the tip regarding speedy hen  :)

Trent

Ordered mine via Amazon, told it will be along by the end of the week. I can wait.
Slightly sad to not order it off Tharg, with Amazon et al discounting prices they really need to keep generating bookplate editions to justify my loyalty at the higher price.

Eamonn Clarke

Saw two copies in FP Cambridge yesterday and should have bought one but assumed my amazon order would arrive in the next day or so.
Checked and the £30 order is on 1-3 weeks so like everyone else have cancelled and Speedy Hen'd it for £10 less.

Trent

Mine turned up from Amazon yesterday. I haven't read the last few stories before as this was when I stopped picking up the Star but the volume is a thing of beauty. Superbly put together and matches the first volume perfectly.
Interesting to see the stories compiled as the times when Gibson clearly had no time to draw the strip are far more obvious but no less charming for it.
Stories hold up well and canonical appearances by Mean Machine and Henry Ford make it essential as far as I am concerned.
All Dredd writers should be made to read the Guide to Mega City Law story as well as the first volume of Ron Smith vignettes to help them grasp the true brilliance and more importantly, lunacy of Dredd's world.
All a bit po-faced and earnest these days.