Main Menu

OCTOBER ART COMP - THE COMEDY STORIES OF 2000 AD

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 01 October, 2016, 10:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

As suggested by August & September winner Mark Higgins it's high time we celebrate the sillier side of 2000 AD past and present. Even at the core of some of the darkest worlds there tends to be an undeniable sliver of comedy but we want to focus on those stories that are almost entirely intended to be funny-

Ace Trucking Co, D.R. & Quinch, Hewligan's Haircut, Survival Geeks, Bec & Kawl, I Was a Teenage Tax Consultant (PROBABLY NOT SPACE GIRLS) as always Barney is your friend

However if you DO want to recreate a moment in an otherwise sensible universe that's made you laugh out loud (and it was likely intended to do so) I won't turn it away!

There will be a GN straight from the nerve centre for the winner of course, and one for Tharg's Choice - and there will also be a bonafide 2000 AD droid choosing their favourite entries (hopefully) - all entries will be viewable here, on our dedicated FB page, and also on the official 2000 AD Tumblr and Twitter!

Rules for the art comp are these:

- It must fit the theme.

- You can enter as many times as you like but bear in mind it will split your vote so it may not be worth it.

- All entries have to be constructed specifically for this competition - so nothing you've done for anything else.

- You can enter either here or by directly putting it on our FB wall here: https://www.facebook.com/2000adartcomp/

YOU HAVE UNTIL THE 30TH OF OCTOBER WHERE WE SHALL ACE THE VOTING GARP, GOOD BUDDIES!

Brian Corcoran

Here's my entry, I missed last month unfortunately. Just a pic from GBH's (glamour) modelling days...

sheridan

Quote from: Brian Corcoran on 02 October, 2016, 09:56:51 PM
Here's my entry, I missed last month unfortunately. Just a pic from GBH's (glamour) modelling days...

Great start Brian, when I was scrolling down I almost thought it was a published frame!

Brian Corcoran

Albion

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Leigh S

Gah - Dash Decent - and now I have thought of Bonjo.... going to stick with the Bampots though!

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

JayzusB.Christ

Great stuff, guys.  (Brian - I'd be happy to see you illustrate a new Ace story.)

Looking forward to the Bampots one - I love the Bampots, me; despite being terrified of them when I saw them first.  I must have only been 7 or 8 at the time and I asked my brother what happened to them - he thought I was referring to the mushroom people of MC1 and told me they had a disease. Afterwards I lived in mortal fear of losing my entire body (bar much-withered arms and legs) to this disease.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Brian Corcoran

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 04 October, 2016, 08:15:11 AM
Great stuff, guys.  (Brian - I'd be happy to see you illustrate a new Ace story.)

Looking forward to the Bampots one - I love the Bampots, me; despite being terrified of them when I saw them first.  I must have only been 7 or 8 at the time and I asked my brother what happened to them - he thought I was referring to the mushroom people of MC1 and told me they had a disease. Afterwards I lived in mortal fear of losing my entire body (bar much-withered arms and legs) to this disease.

Cheers, Jayzus (There's a phrase I never thought I'd hear myself saying), thanks for the compliment!

Loving the Bonjo, Mr. Shark! Fantastic!

Rogue Judge

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 04 October, 2016, 02:45:38 PM

This looks great Shark - I'm not familiar with the character but he looks humorous to fit the part!

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

SuperSurfer

Good call on the theme. When people talk of 2000AD they are often quick to mention black humour. As a kid a lot of that went over my head. Ploughing through the Case Files there is plenty I find hilarious. Now I think of it, not that many actual humour strips other than some of those mentioned so far come to mind. Thinking cap is on. 

Tulio_Vilela

This is my entry. I think "The Startling Sucess of Sideways Scuttleton" written by Alan Moore and drawn by John Higgins is one of the best comedy stories of 2000AD: