Main Menu

JUDGE DREDD : CURSED EARTH UNCENSORED: MICK MCMAHON COVER

Started by Wiggz, 15 October, 2016, 10:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 15 October, 2016, 05:16:41 PM
Quote from: Spikes on 15 October, 2016, 12:45:01 PM
Yes, a lovely piece - and we wouldn't have seen owt like that a few years ago. Poor Ronald!  ;) - but as I've the 1st printing, I doubt I'll be double dipping...

I take it this will be a soft cover reprint?

bleedingcool.com state this will be for the paperback printing in December. Seems quite fast after the hardback.

The original print run sold out fairly quickly. So, not too surprised that we are getting a reprint. Think it was stated fairly early on, that we'd be getting one.

....And maybe a few tweaks here and there for this particular reprint - now that time isn't so pressing?

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 15 October, 2016, 01:34:24 PM

I'd buy that in hardback.

That's a bold statement.

COMMANDO FORCES

Quote from: Geoff on 15 October, 2016, 06:49:57 PM
Love it! Whilst I'm somewhat miffed, because I will just HAVE TO buy it, I always thought there should be a Bolland Soul Food cover and a McMahon Burger Wars cover.

Give it time and who knows!

Rio De Fideldo

I'm at the Lakes festival and went to both McMahon talks today. At both he talked about being given a description for a cover from someone in marketing which led to one of his favourite things he's done in years. I wonder if this is that cover.

Timothy

I was at the first Lakes talk too, but couldn't stay for the second because of kids. How did his batman shape up?

Robo-K33F

Quote from: Rio De Fideldo on 15 October, 2016, 11:05:17 PM
I'm at the Lakes festival and went to both McMahon talks today. At both he talked about being given a description for a cover from someone in marketing which led to one of his favourite things he's done in years. I wonder if this is that cover.

I described this cover (along with a couple of other possibilities) when I commissioned Mick. I don't work in marketing though, so he can't be talking about this.

Rogue Judge

Looks great! I have Case Files #2 so its hard to justify buying the uncensored version to access a few short progs that weren't included....but I think I might have to pick this up regardless. Cursed Earth is one of my favorites!

Also, this art looks a lot more like his stuff from the Last American instead of Cursed Earth, but its equally great.

Magnetica

Go on you know it makes sense. Plus the spreads are in colour unlike the case files.

DrJomster

The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Magnetica on 16 October, 2016, 09:30:38 PM
Go on you know it makes sense. Plus the spreads are in colour unlike the case files.

Yeah you're right...to read any Mcmahon art in color, especially cursed earth, is worth it! It will also look great in the collection

Rio De Fideldo

Quote from: Robo-K33F on 16 October, 2016, 04:45:09 PM
Quote from: Rio De Fideldo on 15 October, 2016, 11:05:17 PM

I described this cover (along with a couple of other possibilities) when I commissioned Mick. I don't work in marketing though, so he can't be talking about this.

If it wasn't this cover it should have been as its a great cover. May have to double dip!

Rio De Fideldo

Quote from: Timothy on 16 October, 2016, 08:34:14 AM
I was at the first Lakes talk too, but couldn't stay for the second because of kids. How did his batman shape up?

Mick worked in pencil for his first few drawings so it was hard to see the details of his work. He drew a Batman and Hellboy (It wasn't all Batman despite the title of the talk) and from what I could see they both looked like the lean Tharg cover that he drew a couple of years ago. For his third and final drawing he worked in inks and drew a zombie which was clearer. I think the face may have been similar to the Cursed Earth cover that's just been revealed.

At the end of the talk, both Mick and Duncan Fegredo turned down the invitation to do another drawing as they said they hadn't really enjoyed the experience of drawing live in front of so many people. They were both happier doing sketches for a couple of people at a time. (They were laughing whilst they said this). I can't say I blame them as it looked very pressurising to do a drawing that you were happy with at the same time as your contemporaries in a short amount of time.  Also to be fair to Mick all the subjects selected, (Batman, Hellboy, Cowboys, Zombies), were geared towards the strengths of the other artists, (Sean Philips, Jordi Bennett and Duncan Fegredo), as they were characters they had drawn in the past.

What no Dredd?!

Still an interesting talk/demonstration though.

norton canes

I was fortunate enough to have been at the Kendal Comics Art Festival yesterday, when Mick was signing and sketching. A fantastic moment - it's not every day you get to meet the greatest living comics artist! 

I happened to have a box of back-progs at home so I dug out the instalment of the Slaine 'Sky boat' story with the spectacular full-page Norsemen raiders battle and got him to sign that; then when I asked him if he could sketch something in a similar vein, he baulked as he thought I was asking him to redraw the entire scene. Once we'd established that wasn't the case he rendered a portrait of Slaine looking reassuringly surly.

While he was drawing I asked him about the techniques he used on his Slaine artwork. No doubt concentrating on his sketch, he delivered the fantastically succinct reply "It's just pens". The secret of perfect artwork there! It's just pens!

I'll scan the sketch if I get a chance.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Rio De Fideldo on 17 October, 2016, 11:13:35 AMAlso to be fair to Mick all the subjects selected, (Batman, Hellboy, Cowboys, Zombies), were geared towards the strengths of the other artists, (Sean Philips, Jordi Bennett and Duncan Fegredo), as they were characters they had drawn in the past.
Although Mick's drawn Hellboy. I _really_ rated his Hellboy work, too – would love to see a full series by him.

Rio De Fideldo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 October, 2016, 01:01:32 PM
Quote from: Rio De Fideldo on 17 October, 2016, 11:13:35 AMAlso to be fair to Mick all the subjects selected, (Batman, Hellboy, Cowboys, Zombies), were geared towards the strengths of the other artists, (Sean Philips, Jordi Bennett and Duncan Fegredo), as they were characters they had drawn in the past.
Although Mick's drawn Hellboy. I _really_ rated his Hellboy work, too – would love to see a full series by him.

I thought that as soon as I'd typed it. He had a page of it, with pencils, in the power point that was running through his talk.

TordelBack

Quote from: norton canes on 17 October, 2016, 12:19:35 PM
While he was drawing I asked him about the techniques he used on his Slaine artwork. No doubt concentrating on his sketch, he delivered the fantastically succinct reply "It's just pens". The secret of perfect artwork there! It's just pens!

Hey, I have some pens too! I wonder if I were to use them just right...