Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Ooohhh Helltrekkers had Ortiz on art? My interest just spiked considerably...

Dark Jimbo

I imagine there just wasn't a 'cover-ready' image from Helltrekkers (quality, size, design, etc).

God, Citi-Def was a bad strip. The art was nice and bold and colourful, but I'm not sure Tony Lee had ever done much more than skim-read a bit of Dredd.
@jamesfeistdraws

Davgardo

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 17 January, 2017, 11:58:34 AM
Ooohhh Helltrekkers had Ortiz on art? My interest just spiked considerably...

Ortiz just drew the first episode I think.

IndigoPrime

abelardsnazz

The Hachette page is now showing the cover of issue 55, The Chief Judge's Man. Cover is by Jock (I think) and credited are John Wagner, Will Simpson, Colin MacNeil, John Burns, and three more names I can't quite make out, think one is Colin Wilson.

By my reckoning all the Armon Gill stories will make up about half the page count, are there any related stories to complete the volume?

I, Cosh

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 18 January, 2017, 12:38:30 PM
By my reckoning all the Armon Gill stories will make up about half the page count, are there any related stories to complete the volume?
Chief Judge's Man is connected to the Edgar storyline if they haven't been included yet?
We never really die.

Bolt-01

Trent

Aye, Armon Gill lasted for 97 pages so we have half the book left.
As I have said bedore, this is one of the great strengths of the Mega Collection while the Rebellion trades are issued with just the core stories we get double bang for your buck with these books sometimes.
Haven't seen the cover yet to ponder what else might be included.
On the plus side we only have under 2 weeks before the next book should arrive given the late despatch of the last pair.
Cursed Earth Carnage - mixed feelings
Chief Judges Man plus - good stuff

Trent

Found the image and I reckon the other names are Colin Wilson, Wayne Reynolds and Paul Marshall.
I think this pretty much confirms that we will be getting the Judge Manners stories but not sure re Colin Wilson; Cal Legacy, Short Circuit?
Needs to be under the theme of justice department dodginess or bad judges.
Hope this isn't all we get re Judges gone bad, there are lots of classic Dredd stories based on this theme, easily enough for another volume.

Trent

Having thought about it, hope for The Cal Files, Cal Legacy and Sleaze to round out the book. Page count around 211 so doable.
They can toss in Statue of Judgement if they want.

Jade Falcon

With the people talking about an extension, I've noticed the TV ads for the Star Trek Graphic Novel collection where it says on screen something along the lines of "Provisionally 80", keeping their options open.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

IndigoPrime

It's interesting to see people responding to the TF one. Looks like a lot of people would have loved a partwork that covered only the Marvel run, but on hearing it's 80 books are: "I'm out."

I wonder at what point these things become profitable? Obviously, once a series is extended, it's already doing well enough for that to happen. But are these publishers relying on people to subscribe for 40 issues? 20? Are they profitable from issue one? I'd love to know the ins and outs of this (and therefore the feasibility of doing somewhat shorter runs).

Dash Decent

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 20 January, 2017, 10:08:47 AM
I'd love to know the ins and outs of this (and therefore the feasibility of doing somewhat shorter runs).

I just knew you were hankering for that one volume Dash Decent Mega Collection hardback like me, IP!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

abelardsnazz

Heavy Metal Dredd doesn't include the most essential stories in the collection, but there's plenty of fun to be had. Interesting to note the variety in Simon Bisley's style, from some very detailed panels to seemingly quick episodes done on a wet afternoon. Contributions from Brendan McCarthy and the late John Hicklenton play to their strengths, and great to see some more Ron Smith stories - still hoping that Pirates of the Black Atlantic and The Graveyard Shift will feature in the series.

moly

If they don't include pirates of the black Atlantic, sob story and the first chopper story it will be a bit of a piss take