Main Menu

Whatever happened to SIMON HARRISON?

Started by Mogster, 13 April, 2004, 12:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dandontdare on 10 May, 2011, 02:02:44 PM
I can't find any posts that actually said that about Rufus' art (though a search did bring up (no pun intended) plenty of nasty puke-related anecdotes  :-\). maybe I missed that one or it's been deleted. The actual comments that provoked his hissy fit were much milder and less offensive, and certainly didn't merit his characterisation of this forum:

No. You're right. The specific comment which I had conflated with the subsequent puke remark was this one:

QuoteWhilst I love Rufus' drawings on Tank Girl (he has really captured the mad style of the original, with his own twist) but am I the only one who has a problem with this almost-monochrome colour scheme? This month's vivid mustard with extra coloured dots was particularly vile.

No vested interest in downplaying Rufus' hurt feelings there, eh, DDD?

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dandontdare

yup that was me. Notice how I go out of my way to balance a genuine criticism with positive comments though? I guess he never noticed those bits.

Emperor

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 10 May, 2011, 02:36:40 PM
The image on the Saatchi link is fantastic- and I speak as someone who doesn't like much of Simon's 2000 AD work.

I'd definitely like to see more of those but it is tricky to track down online.

He had another exhibition in June 2007 but none of the images show up:
www.toddsgallery.co.uk/June07.html

More background on the Adventure Ecology exhibition:
www.wwd.com/eyescoop/eye/green-backer-511655

Which was set-up by David de Rothschild, with whom Harrison seems to have done this graphic novel in 2009/2010, it has some very Simon Harrison-esque touches:
http://issuu.com/plastiki/docs/tbtgtt/1
www.theplastiki.com/2010/04/eco-themed-comic-book/

I also found this:
www.redbubble.com/products/configure/7035173-canvas-print
www.fotolibra.com/gallery/collection/30657/simon-harrisons-first-collection/
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

M.I.K.

I was right, you know. It did look much the same.

robozo

robozo

i knew about the kung fu book , but the rest i didnt know...
i met simon about 15 years ago in zurich, he painted the coolest pictures, although everyone on the pics looked like an alien, or a zombie or both. i always felt he was a very physical person (and a very nice guy), but drawing comics takes a lot of sitting at the drawing table , so he probably wasnt made for comics.also his technique was , although very talented, only half professionel. i guess he just got tired of it...

Adrian Bamforth

"Simon Harrison is a fully qualified martial arts coach and trainer..."

Now that's the right way to deal with criticism...

Emperor

Righto I finally dusted off the email I drafted to Simon Harrison asking if the information in the above is right:

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,8966.msg603699.html#msg603699
http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,8966.msg603726.html#msg603726

He got back with a fascinating lengthy email (which he said I could share with those I "consider to be of a simiilar temprament to yourself" which rules most of you out, and the planet, and me most of the time ;) ) which I'll quickly précis:

He tends to avoid Internet forums but "I read the forum comments concerning me and found them to be an accurate assessment of my earlier work." His time at 2000AD was important but more as a gestation period and he continued to grow and develop over the years since to the point where he eventually achieved what he wanted with his art. Unfortunately, very few people have actually seen this. He was working on getting it published with the help of John Hicklenton and they had hoped to get it out before he died. Although the fates intervened and that never happened he is still hoping to get it published but it might be in so limited a form most people will still never see it.

Given the fact that he is a highly trained martial artist, arm-twisting is out of the question but some gentle persuasion would work. So would people be interested in something like that, sight unseen? I know I'd be up for it.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

maryanddavid

It would be great to see it. His artwork in 2000ad was just on the wrong characters except for  Revere which really is a classic.

One of my favourite tooth covers

hippynumber1

I know a man who owns that page - over to you Dale!  :D

SmallBlueThing

I really hope that remark of the forum comments being 'an accurate description of the work at the time' isn't a self-deprecating acknowledgement that his stronty, bradley and revere come in for a lot of stick online- because for everyone who states their dislike there's someone like me who absolutely loved it. Revere is one of my all-time favourite strips and the Extreme that collected it together a treasured possession. The more the merrier, i'd say- so yes, definitely.

SBT

TordelBack

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 12 April, 2012, 07:22:02 PM
I really hope that remark of the forum comments being 'an accurate description of the work at the time' isn't a self-deprecating acknowledgement that his stronty, bradley and revere come in for a lot of stick online- because for everyone who states their dislike there's someone like me who absolutely loved it.

Sign me up for the S. Harrison fan club too.  I might have resented the lack of Ezquerra on Final Solution, but I still love the art we did get, Simon and Colin both, and Bradley and Revere were inspired.

hippynumber1

Me too; I love Revere so much that I bought a page! One of my all time favourite strips...

vzzbux

Loved the Bradley strips both art and script.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Dark Jimbo

Bradley may well have been the first contact I had with anything Toothy, years before I ever bought a prog. When I was eight or nine Dad gave me a little book of Bradley stories; I never thought to ask where he got it from, but I was fascinated by the intricate, macabre artwork, and the more I read the more I realised it probably wasn't intended for kids - which gave it an added frisson. It was an odd little thing, and it was only a decade or so later when I became a regular Squaxx that I first realised where the character was from.
@jamesfeistdraws