Main Menu

Comic Recommendations

Started by Jade Falcon, 23 July, 2016, 09:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jade Falcon

I'm looking for some recommendations, preferably something that's available in graphic novel form.  I'm not really a big fan of the standard superhero comics, though I don't mind Batman stuff, but not really into Superman, X-Men, etc.

I like sci-fi, steampunk, futuristic type stuff.

My graphic novel collection to give you an idea of what I read is.....

Rogue Trooper classic era and Realpolitik book.  Basically the first 6 non case files sized books
The 86ers
Invasion, Savage:Taking Liberties, and The Guvnor
Complete Don Lawrence Trigan Empire
Dan Dare Hawk books "Pilot of the Future (the first Venus story), Red Moon Mystery and Marooned on Mercury, The Man from Nowhere and Rogue Planet and Solid Space Mysteries.
Virgin Garth Ennis Dan Dare
Ministry of Space
Ignition City
Harry 20 on the High Rock
Ro-Busters
Complete Nemesis the Warlock
VC's "You're Hit you're Dead", "Back in Action"
Meltdown Man in 2000AD Extreme Edition
Harlem Heroes in Extreme Edition (contemplating getting the collection with Inferno)
Batman, Red Hood and Hush
A few Star Wars graphic novels
Wanted and Kick-Ass
Mass Effect and Dragon Age collections
Oh, and of course the ongoing Judge Dredd Mega-Collection.

That's what I can remember off hand.  Any recommendations based on that style of reading?

Also, a couple questions.  Are there going to be any more VC's books, or any more Savage books?  Both seem to hint that there are more to come but so far nothing.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Hawkmumbler

Copperhead by Jay Faerber is a 2000AD comic in all but actuallity. Utterly superb.
Wilds End by our own DABnett and INJ Culbard, quite brilliant.
All You Need is Kill by Takeshi Obata is a phenomenal futur ware sci-fi manga. Excellent!
Terraformers by YĆ« Sasuga for the same reasons as above. Probably the most 2000AD manga ever.
The Goon by Eric Powell. Just because. It is possibly one of the best things ever made by a mortal.

rogue69

As you seem to enjoy Pat Mills work I would recommend his anti superhero series MARSHAL LAW & his French series REQUIEM VAMPIRE KNIGHT which has been released in the UK by Panini or you can get it as a free PDF  copy using the code BYTEME through the Gumroad website https://gumroad.com/l/resurgbp#

The Adventurer

Its pretty clear you're into Sci-Fi comics, so good news so am I.

Copperhead by Jay Faerber I'll second out the gate. As that's just essential reading. Sci-fi westerns are a trope, but this one's one of the best.

For something a bit weirder the 'romantic sci-fis' Saga by Brian K Vaughn and East of West by Johnathan Hickman are solid choices. Saga is like Romeo & Juliet meets Star Wars, with a pair of young parents who's love is forbidden against the back drop of interstellar war & politics. Whereas, East of West is about the rogue Horseman of the Apocalypse Death who is trying to divert the end of the world to protect the woman he loves.

I know you said you're not super high on Super-Heroes, but I'd be remiss not recommending Boom Studio's Hypernaturals by Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning, as well as EGOs by Stuart Moore. Both are built off the Legion of Super-Heroes model of far future super-heroes. And both take that and do their own kind of thing with it. I also recommend Legion of Super-Heroes in general, though where and what to read can be a tad convolututed. But you can't go wrong with The Great Darkness Saga, or Legion Lost (first mini series, not the New 52 version)

For something well and truly exceptional I suggest Carla Speed McNeil's FINDER which is a long running independent series currently at Dark Horse. Self styled 'Aboriginal Sci-fi' its usually about a 'sin-eater' named Jaeger who isn't comfortable in cities but it often compelled to return any way for the people he cares about. Its a mad and poetic bit of world building, with a lot of interweaving character arcs. One of the best comics ever created.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

The Adventurer

Other odds and ends,

Grimjack by John Ostrander (IDW)
Hawkworld by John Ostrander (DC)
Twilight by Howard Chaykin (DC)
Elephantmen by Richard Starkings (Image)
King City by Brandon Graham (Image)
Monstress by Marjorie Liu (Image)
Paper Girls by Brian K. Vaughn (Image)
RASL by Jeff Smith
Smoke by Alex de Campi
Think Tank by Matt Hawkins (Image)
Twilight X by Joe Wight (Antarctic Press)

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

Yeah I'd go with Copperhead, one of my absolute favourites and there are currently two lovely trades right now.

There's plenty of other good stuff recommended but Grimjack and Elephantmen (which I've just got into myself) stand out to me.

Things that haven't yet been mentioned that I'd add to the mix Autumnlands, Nexus (some lovely large omnibus collections available), Grendel (again lovely omnibuses), didn't notice Flesh in you 2000ad collections - sort that, Aldebaran series from Cinebook (worth waiting until you go to a convention if you do that kinda thing as CineBook always have great offers), Six Gun Gorilla, Xenozoic Tales (if the trade is still out there). I've missed loads but they're the ones that spring to mind looking at your list.

To be honest though there's a host of other 2000ad collections to be had. Just go to the webshop and look around as you'll find a wealth of stuff there.

jacob g

I'll stand by Elephantmen (as Grimjack suggested) and Lazarus.

Both stories are perfect examples of serialized comic done right, both explore kinda dystopian sci-fi with social strong social comentary yet they're totally different, one is pulpy tribute for... everything from Fantastic Four, Blade Runner to 2000AD, while Lazarus feels like... documentary about our reality 10 years into our future.

And ofcourse Bitch Planet.
margaritas ante porcos

Jade Falcon

Thanks for the recommendations, I haven't heard of a lot of these to be honest.

What is Leviathan like, I've seen it pop up on Amazon and it sounded interesting but never much detail.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

JamesC

You haven't listed Nemesis the Warlock, so I'd definitely recommend that if you haven't read it.

You seem to like classic British stuff so I'd also recommend Jeff Hawke. It's not very well known but is very well regarded by those who've read it.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 24 July, 2016, 10:04:14 PM
What is Leviathan like, I've seen it pop up on Amazon and it sounded interesting but never much detail.
It's great. Probably my personal favourite Edginton/D'Israeli collaboration.

Would definitely second the recommendation of East of West, from upthread.
We never really die.

Hawkmumbler

Ah feck it, any excuse to talk about my favourite funny books!

Nexus, as already mentioned, by Steve Rude and Mike Baron is a triumph. A superhero book for people who don't like superheroes and the same could be said for Egos, as once again already stated, by Stuart Moores and Gus Storms. Both utterly brilliant titles.

War of the Worlds, Scarlet Traces and The Great Game, by D'Israeli and Ian Edginton, are getting getting a new TPB omnibus edition in January and are some of the best work either creater have helmed in their careers. Brilliant comics!

One of the best space operas you can read these days is Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin. Smartly written, stunning art and with almost universal appeal it's brilliant stuff.

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 25 July, 2016, 11:30:22 AM
One of the best space operas you can read these days is Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin. Smartly written, stunning art and with almost universal appeal it's brilliant stuff.

You young'uns and your goddamned gundams. Well you'll never break me, y'hear, never.

A long way from spacey SF, but a recentish comic that blew me away was Daytripper by Moon and Ba: an exploration of life long and short and in between. I'm not sure what to add on the actual SF front - I find it's a genre that comics do staggeringly badly, with notable exception s already covered upthread. But Grandville by Talbot is steampunky and completely wonderful. Actually, anything by Talbot: Luther Arkwright, One Bad Rat, Alice in Sunderland, Dotter of Her Father's Eyes (with Mary Talbot)... man's a genius.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Tordelback on 25 July, 2016, 01:08:04 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 25 July, 2016, 11:30:22 AM

You young'uns and your goddamned gundams. Well you'll never break me, y'hear, never.
Just you wait and see, just you wait and see.  ;)

I'll second all that lovely Talbot though, particularly Grandville and Luther Arkwhright. Essential comics!

GordyM

Judging by your tastes I'd say you'd love The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

radiator