Main Menu

Judge Dredd vs. The Big Two!

Started by robocook, 28 December, 2011, 11:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryanddavid

Thats great, the detail he manages to cram in, no blank space on his page.

Frank

http://secret-oranges.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/demolition-derby.html

Cheers, Steve. That's a pretty good illustration of why I think Ron Smith was the perfect artist for that period of Dredd. Artists like Kev O'Neill and Ian Gibson were great at selling the comedy and outrageous exaggerations of situations like that shown above, while Bolland and Steve Dillon were absolutely fantastic at selling the reality of the city and the character. Every week, Ron Smith's clean and expressive style managed to walk a line between those two poles, providing a consistency and clarity that allowed the reader to understand that there was absolutely no contradiction between MC1 being the kind of place where Blockmania happened and the kind of place where Citizen Snork happened.

Spikes

Perhaps not the most striking, or best, of covers - always bugged me when they included space-taking-up stuff like that Future Flight offer, but always a treat to see Ron's work.

Spikes

Oh yes. That'll do,  :thumbsup:
One of my fave (amongst many!) Ron Smith Dredd stories.

Has anyone asked before Steve but what size are these? Same size as the prog, or larger?
I know original art is mahoosive compared to the printed page.

robocook

robocook

maryanddavid

Great stuff, colours by Frame again? Was Tom Frame part of the staff at IPC or was he freelance?

robocook

Not sure if it was Tom, but most likely. I didn't mention him on this one as it may have been Kev. Tom was always a freelancer.

robocook

maryanddavid

They are great Steve, Thanks for posting. I love how 2000ad did random covers, like that Gibbons, The McMahon wraparound scene from the war and Belardinelli wraparound with giant scaceships come to mind too.
Great stuff as usual.

ming

Yeah, thanks again for keeping up the drip-feed of classic Thrill-Power last year, Steve.  The covers, sketches and photos are a real treat and much appreciated by a lot of people, I'm sure (not to mention the rest of the blog, which throws up a huge amount of interesting stuff).

Looking forward to seeing what falls out of the Thrill-Cupboard in 2013!

Spikes

Aye, Great to see these covers, as well as all the other stuff on your Blog. Lovely stuff Steve, keep 'em coming!

robocook

Thanks, everyone - and a Happy New Year!