Main Menu

Prog 1822 - The Sound Of The Underground

Started by JamesC, 02 March, 2013, 10:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Not a bad cover - Simon Davis'scharacters always look a bit stiff to me though and the covers always have lots of white space.

Dredd was okay. Wolves finishes this week and I didn't really understand the ending. [spoiler]Mega City Two?[/spoiler]
Still not sure about the art either. Hershey looks like a school girl and Dredd is wearing one of those snug helmets that make you wonder how it got over his ears. The vehicle designs are ace though.

I'm still not reading Ampney or Red Seas. I don't know what it is about Edington's characters - I just don't care about them. When you look at the page count over the last few years Jack Dancer should be one of 2000ad's most well loved and iconic characters but I don't think he is - he's just a bit bland.

The Future Shock was good fun and the art was lovely.

Savage is as good as ever and Patrick Goddard's art blows me away every time. I wouldn't be surprised to see him teaming up with Garth Ennis on one of his military themed books - he'd be we'll suited.

All in all not the best prog of recent weeks and I'll be glad when the new line up comes around.

JUDGE BURNS

Prog just literally dropped thru the door right now.

love Simon Davis' cover of Bill Savage.

Dredd . artwork looks too comicy for me. Hershey does look very young. Inteesting ending though with the russian citz ending up in Mega city "???

Ampney and Red Seas as before will read them once their run is complete.

A nice little future shock by Arthur Wyatt and drawn by Pye/Parr

Savage: this week it reminds of a die hard movie.  john mclean against the Volgs.  Looking forward to see how this ends.

blixab

Must agree with the two previous posts - The art for Hershey makes her look as if she has just left school

Pat Mills airs a few more of his political offerings in Savage but that aside building up to a great climax in next weeks Prog.

Never have been enamoured with either Ampney Crucis or Red Seas but at least one has finished and only one further week for the other.

Bring on the new line up.

Colin YNWA

Something new to say, alas its not too positive. A couple of ending here that I felt were a bit of a bum note. Dredd seemed to be free wheeling to an ending that didn't really give us anything we hadn't had from the previous parts. The debate about whether it was okay to ship the Sov Citizen's wasn't really fleshed out. Then right at the end a complete about turn, not too well executed for me. Ampney was similar. In this case a bit of an exploitation heavy ending, then flash BANG wallop and we're done, like that.

The saving grace for both is the endings do seem to set up some intriguing possibilities for the future. For the time being though a bit disappointing after enjoying what has gone before. Oh and Hershey, said it last week and its no different this week, as many have pointed out already.

The Future Shock wasn't a hit for me either I'm afriad. The other two Savage and Red Seas continued on fine form. Possibly felt as though it was treading water a little, but it did it very nicely.

It wasn't a bad Prog by any stretch, just not up to the standards of late, but I guess they were very high standards.

Matt Timson

Somebody will have to explain the Dredd ending to me. Sorry. I'm sure it's not very complicated, but it obviously involves something about Mega City 2 from my 2000ad wilderness years. A quick Google only left me more confused!

Bit of help?
Pffft...

Colin YNWA

I assumed that [spoiler]rather than send the Sov Citizen's to East Meg 2 Hershey went with Dredd's alternative of sending them to the abandoned Mega City 2. It would appear still though under the guard of East Meg Judges for some reason, I assume a resource one. Meaning East Meg accepted it as a compromise and still provided the food to Mega City One.[/spoiler]. I hope I got that right, as I said I didn't think it was well executed so I could well be wrong

Apologies for the spoiler heavy post, but under the circumstances...

moly

Dredd finish was a bit confusing or maybe just setting it up for a future story, best thing this week was red seas shame if next week is the last one

Colin YNWA

Quote from: moly on 02 March, 2013, 12:52:09 PM
Dredd finish was a bit confusing or maybe just setting it up for a future story, best thing this week was red seas shame if next week is the last one

Yeah meant to say hope it gets a double sized send off and a lovely cover next week. I know its not the most popular strip these days (you damned fools you) but I think it really deserves a good send off.

moly

Need to do a case files for red seas think a lot more people would enjoy it then

McNulty

Dredd: I agree it was a bit of a confusing ending with [spoiler]Mega City Two[/spoiler]. Perhaps the Sov Block were allowed to take over this ruin in exchange for the food and taking in the Sov citizens?
I had the idea of using the small satellite city of robot citiblocks just outside Mega City One to house the Sov citizens but that was introduced in Judge Anderson's strip in the Megazine and therefore might not be canon with Wagner.

Crucis: A lot of exposition in this episode, mostly concerning what has been going on in this story arc.

Red Seas: Building up to a great ending for next week I hope.

Future Shocks: Entertaining.

Savage: The words of the Volgons to be sensible and stop fighting sound a little hollow after what they did to the East End of London.

Rog69

Wasn't there a story a while back that showed that Hondo city had rebuilt MC2, which then conflicted with a more recent story that established it was still a ruin. Now it's been re-built by the sovs?

A.Cow

Cover: Nice.

Dredd: Preliminary? [1] [2] [3]

Crucis: Anticlimactic.

Red Seas: Interminable.

Future Shocks: Predictable.

Savage: Prattle.

Overall: "Meh".

[1]  I presume this is a set-up for a forthcoming story where [guesswork] Dmitri's wife dies at Luka's hands, and Dmitri vows revenge on MC1 & Dredd, for [spoiler]allowing Luka to board rather than locking him up[/spoiler] [/guesswork].

[2]  There are a lot of people getting confused here, needlessly.  The Sovs are giving away food to gain slave labour in East-Meg 2.  Just because the sign says [spoiler]Mega City Two[/spoiler] it doesn't necessarily mean the one in America -- the Sovs would presumably describe their own Mega-Cities without an "East Meg" qualifier.  Also, they're not exactly stuck for space in that part of Russia, and don't need to set up [spoiler]a satellite city in a high-radioactivity area of the former USA[/spoiler].

[3]  Hershey too young?  I'm more concerned that her hair keeps changing length (it's a medium bob, not a long one!) and that Dredd looks like Stallone Dredd (especially bottom of second page of story).

Colin YNWA

Quote from: A.Cow on 02 March, 2013, 02:47:51 PM

[2]  There are a lot of people getting confused here, needlessly.  The Sovs are giving away food to gain slave labour in East-Meg 2.  Just because the sign says [spoiler]Mega City Two[/spoiler] it doesn't necessarily mean the one in America -- the Sovs would presumably describe their own Mega-Cities without an "East Meg" qualifier.  Also, they're not exactly stuck for space in that part of Russia, and don't need to set up [spoiler]a satellite city in a high-radioactivity area of the former USA[/spoiler].

I wondered that as there is a lot of indicators that its is a 'Russian' mega City, the writing, the block with the star on it, the poster for one would assume a political leader. If that was the case however (which it might be) why have Dredd propose his alternative, not ideal option in his own words solution, to the Cursed Earth and East Meg for it just to drop off into nothing?

Eamonn Clarke

The helmet does look too small, and like Stallone's, but the rest of the art is good

I enjoyed the Ampney conclusion but suspect we'll have to wait until the next instalment to work out what happened.

With Savage finishing next week I guess we're going to finish on a cliffhanger before the battle of London finishes.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 02 March, 2013, 02:57:21 PM
Quote from: A.Cow on 02 March, 2013, 02:47:51 PM
I wondered that as there is a lot of indicators that its is a 'Russian' mega City, the writing, the block with the star on it, the poster for one would assume a political leader. If that was the case however (which it might be) why have Dredd propose his alternative, not ideal option in his own words solution, to the Cursed Earth and East Meg for it just to drop off into nothing?
Yeah, I'd initially thought it might be the Sov Mega City 2 (where they were initially being sent), but that doesn't really make sense in terms of Dredd's proposed alternative voiceover in the last few panels. I seem to remember Carroll had a previous story set in the ruins of MC2 so perhaps he's got a fondness for the setting and this will be the start of something ongoing with it.

Bit of a damp squib this story really. I thought the idea of internment was a strong enough hook in itself without overegging the pudding.

Elsewhere a somewhat confounding end to Ampney. Looking forward to a reread of this one.

I presume nobody is going to complain about the lack of ink in this week's Red Seas centrespread? I just reread that odd Red Seas story set in London during the blitz so have a number of thoughts about what's going to happen next week but I've been proven wrong every time I try to predict Edginton's writing so I'm saying nothing.
We never really die.