Main Menu

Prog 1822 - The Sound Of The Underground

Started by JamesC, 02 March, 2013, 10:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Stephens

Good, solid Prog.
Cover: Blistering Savage illustration by Davis. Love it.

Dredd: Agree it's a little confusing, that ending. Shame, as Ive enjoyed the story up to that point. Could do without the Stallone helmets, though. Seems a little off-model.

Ampney: Mmmm. Probably need a re-read of this. Seemed to loose me along the way, which may be my own fault. I have a limited attention sp....oh look. I still have a buscuit left from lunch. Bonus!

Red Seas: Really enjoyed this, but it feels like it's run its course, so won't be too sorry when it's gone.

Future Shock: Enjoyable little tale, I thought. Loved the art. Like a crazy mix of Roger Langridge and Steve Roberts.  Love to see more.

Savage: About time that sniper got his dues.....great stuff.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

IndigoPrime

Given the way 2000 AD not only squashed the 'Chinese take MC-2' thing but also consider it such a mis-step it's been ret-conned out of Dredd history, it's curious they'd essentially allow the same thing, but with Russians.

Pioneer

Well I instantly assumed it was East Meg Two, although after reading this thread I'm now not so sure?? We need the Carroll droid to clear this one up maybe??

Taryn Tailz

Noticed that The Gherkin building is on this weeks cover. In real life that was built in the early 2000s, so would it still have been built in a Britain under Volgan rule?

Anyway it's a great cover.  :)

Buttonman

I read the Dredd and thought it was East Meg 2 where the internees were sent - my musing was that they wouldn't have the 'east' in their own name for their city - east of where from their perspective? Having read this thread I'm not sure - why would a city under construction habe 5 million tonnes of food going spare? The swap for slave labour makes sense and is now my take. Not clear either way though.

Banners

Quote from: Matt Timson on 02 March, 2013, 12:23:41 PM
A quick Google only left me more confused!

Me too. Totally bemused by the ending (and the premise of expelling all Sovs - but that's another matter). The Dmitry and Luka storyline also seemed inconsequential by the end. Presumably, this is setting things up for something further down the line?

Slip de Garcon

That last Dredd frame - you've got cits coming out of a MC1 ship, then walking the wrong way past a sign saying it's the entrance to a Sov-branded MC2.

So they are either leaving MC2 or East Meg 2.

And if it's MC2, it's either the Hondo-rebuilt MC2 we've forgotten about or the radioactive ruin it was last time? So I suspect it's EM2.

I'm hopelessly confused, but Carroll's Dredd scripts do this to me.

Dark Jimbo

I think the problem is that exposition was sacrificed in favour of a 'shock' end panel.

For my money I think it's fairly clear that the peeps are being set into a newly rebuilt (Sov run) Mega City Two - it's just that this doesn't ring especially true when it's come out of absolutely nowhere. I doubt that you could entirely rebuild a city overnight even in the 22nd century.
@jamesfeistdraws

strontium71

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 03 March, 2013, 05:29:12 PM
I doubt that you could entirely rebuild a city overnight even in the 22nd century.

Robots...

...and magic elves
...because I hate you.

Steve Green

I think it's a mistake/miscommunication in the lettering, and that is East-Meg 2, not MC-2.

Until Michael can clarify, we won't know for sure.

It does seem highly unlikely that they'd retcon out the Hondocit rebuild to then do the same thing with a different foreign government.

Fisticuffs

Cover - What's Ampney Crucis doing with an M4? Needs a shave too. (A sight on the rifle would have been nice, as would the correct shaped empty cartridges...winge winge...moan moan...)

Dredd went out on a major damp squib, and a confusing one at that. Shame, really like the previous two installments. Still love the chunky vehicles though.

Ampney - Nice enough.

Red Seas - Still no idea what's going on, seems to have been an extended battle scene for about 8 progs now.

Future Shocks - Loved it. Cute, cool and funny. More please!

Savage - Blah blah oil, blah blah evil corporations, blah blah get over yourself.

Overall, bit of a throw away issue this week. :(

Proudhuff

Dredd: I'd assumed it was East Meg Two, all the clues are there.  The Sovs don't think of themselves as 'East' of anywhere but the centre of things.

The confusion for me was the text in the boxes, not sure which was Dredd's and which was Hershey's.

Further initial confusion for me with the cover as I'd thought it was Ampney at first  ::)

The tidy up of Ampney was all a bit quick but leaves a nice set up for  the future story

Red Seas enjoyable romping

The one off story seemed a bit familar, but I couldn't place it

Savage enjoyable stuff glad to see Savage finally growing a bit of charachter
DDT did a job on me

The Enigmatic Dr X

DREDD: It was clearly a Sov city to me. It occurs to me that the problem is that many new(er) readers won't recognise a Sov Judge's uniform. It was also a monumentally odd decision to take, the deporting, but maybe that is the point.
Lock up your spoons!

vzzbux

The way I interpreted the ending to Dredd was that the Narrative was all Hershey, her plan stayed in motion the food from meg 2 being far too important to turn down. Dredd didn't voice his alternative. East Meg 2 would be Mega City 2 The east meg tag is just to stow confusion.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

A.Cow

Darn you, Carroll!  Darn you to heck!

Your words pictures made us confusion in the head!