Main Menu

2000ad 'Flash' sale this weekend

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 February, 2016, 06:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 February, 2016, 11:05:02 AM
As I recall, the Strontium Dog books are pretty comprehensive. Not that you do not need the B-Format pocket books if you want a complete collection.
Yep. I think the only stories you'd be missing would be The Stix Fix from last year and the one that's currently running in the Prog which I assume will be collected fairly soon.
We never really die.

Jamie1000013

QuoteIf I got all of the collected editions of Strontium Dog would I be missing any issues of it? Thinking about getting the Strontium dog s/d files 1-4 and the other GN's 2000ad have in their shop.
The S/D agency files are the original run, which ends with Final Solution (itself essentially branded as the fifth S/D agency files). However, only #3 and Final Solution are still in stock.

After that, you have the 'reboot' stuff, which, in order, is as follows:

The Kreeler Conspiracy
Traitor to His Kind
Blood Moon
Life and Death of Johnny Alpha
The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha - Dogs of War

As I recall, the Strontium Dog books are pretty comprehensive. Note that you do not need the B-Format pocket books if you want a complete collection.

Thank you so much for this, makes it a lot clearer after reading your post. Thanks   :D. I'll probably collect them all digitally when I get a tablet. How does the older stuff compare to last years Story and this current ongoing story?

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Jamie1000013 on 29 February, 2016, 02:59:50 PMHow does the older stuff compare to last years Story and this current ongoing story?
Well, I grew up on classic 2000 AD and so have a certain nostalgic fondness for classic Strontium Dog. The first S/D files is a bit like early Dredd, in that it's finding its way; for the most part, though, it's quite fully-formed from the off. S/D #2 is, to my mind, first-rate classic 2000 AD, with Alpha's origins in Portrait of a Mutant, the excellent Moses incident, and the rollicking The Killing. Outlaw is also excellent.

S/D #3 is also extremely strong, but shifts S/D in a darker direction for much of its page count. #4 is a bit weaker on the whole, with some ill-advised satire, but it's still perfect readable. Its last stories and The Final Solution close off the classic run in seemingly permanent form. The Final Solution also offers some nice one-offs from various points in S/D continuity.

When revived, Strontium Dog was based on a cancelled TV show adaptation, and took the stance previous stories were apocryphal. An archive computer set out to tell the 'true story', which basically meant it was ret-con time. The problem was the strip took a while to settle. In The Kreeler Conspiracy, we see some quite different elements to Alpha and his backstory, but the next couple of volumes feel pretty similar to old-school S/D. Personally, I found Life and Death quite turgid by comparison to everything else S/D, but your mileage may vary. Regardless, I'd recommend picking the books up in the order outlined on the mothballed 2000 AD Books site.

Citi-Def_Joe

I am glad I am not the only one who double ordered  ;) Sometimes an offer is too good to miss....
Initial Friday Order was huge then prunded down to a "reasonable" 5 books

Dan Dare - The 2000 AD Years (LIMITED EDITION)
Zenith Phase 1 (standard)
Absalom: Ghosts of London
Stickleback: England's Glory
Nemesis the Warlock Deviant Edition

Had a think over the weekend,crumbled last night and decided I would go for the amazing Looking Zenith Phase 1 Apex Edition....and while I am at may as well through a few more in eh?
Jaegir: Beasts Within
Savage: Invasion!
The VC's: Hell in the Heavens
Zenith Phase 2
The Complete Nemesis The Warlock Vol. 3

Roll on delivery!

Dark Jimbo

The S/D agency files are the original run, which ends with Final Solution (itself essentially branded as the fifth S/D agency files).

After that, you have the 'reboot' stuff, which, in order, is as follows:

The Kreeler Conspiracy
Traitor to His Kind
Blood Moon

Life and Death of Johnny Alpha - The Project
The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha - Dogs of War

Just to clarify/confuse things a tiny bit further - the 'reboot' idea was quietly dropped at some early, unspecified point during the comeback tales, which then become instead 'untold tales' slotting into gaps in the original continuity.

With The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha, Wagner finally addresses the elephant in the room and continues things from where they left off in the original run at the end of Final Solution.
@jamesfeistdraws

Hawkmumbler

Plus the majority of SD spin-offs have been reproduced in some form. DABnets Durham Red series in 3 trades (OOP?) Strontium Dogs, the original Red spin-off material and kin all got into Meg floppies.

Dark Jimbo

Think it's only the Young Middenface stuff that hasn't been reprinted...? I really liked YM*, and it was a real shame there was never a proper ending as such.

*The Goddard/Ridgeway stuff, anyway. My interest nosedived when Shaun Thomas started scribbling the stories, and I'm guessing everyone else's did too. It was Simon Harrison all over again - if you can't tell mutants from norms because everyone's depicted as equally grotesque, then that artist is probably not the best fit for a mutant/norm story...
@jamesfeistdraws

I, Cosh

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 29 February, 2016, 06:26:27 PM
Think it's only the Young Middenface stuff that hasn't been reprinted...? I really liked YM*, and it was a real shame there was never a proper ending as such.

*The Goddard/Ridgeway stuff, anyway. My interest nosedived when Shaun Thomas started scribbling the stories, and I'm guessing everyone else's did too. It was Simon Harrison all over again - if you can't tell mutants from norms because everyone's depicted as equally grotesque, then that artist is probably not the best fit for a mutant/norm story...
Allow me to posit a counter-argument: depicting everyone as equally grotesque is a perfect visual metaphor in a story which has, at its heart, the notion of irrational bigotry and prejudice. Quite liked Shaun Thomas in small doses but then again Simon Harrison would be comfortably in my all time top three Prog artists. In fact, he's probably in the top one.

Like what I've read of Young Middenface and would happily indulge in a collection.
We never really die.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 29 February, 2016, 06:03:56 PMJust to clarify/confuse things a tiny bit further - the 'reboot' idea was quietly dropped at some early, unspecified point during the comeback tales, which then become instead 'untold tales' slotting into gaps in the original continuity. With The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha, Wagner finally addresses the elephant in the room and continues things from where they left off in the original run at the end of Final Solution.
Except that also includes the computer ret-conning the original tale, so it's all a bit of a mishmash now.

Magnetica

I had already bought Zenith 1 to 4 (1 with card signed by Steve Yeowell), The Apex Edition, Dan Dare Limited Edition (with Poster Prog), Case Files limited Edition with art print signed by Carlos.

Needless to say I paid full wack for them all. But my attitude was I have to have them, can't risk them getting sold out. Did the same with the recently re-printed Nemesis Vol 1 (especially given the crazy prices on Amazon for the old printing - £800 are you kidding). And of course I had no idea there would be a flash sale. Nature of the beast really.

As for Strontium Dog - IMO its all pretty great. Up there with anything else ever in the Prog.

As for Strontium Dogs (and tales from the Dog House) -  in theory they should have been able to tell the same sort of stories, but I found them pretty lacklustre. Art not by Carlos, script not by Wagner or Grant, no Johnny Alpha. You do the math.

Link Prime

Quote from: Citi-Def_Joe on 29 February, 2016, 05:20:52 PM
I am glad I am not the only one who double ordered  ;) Sometimes an offer is too good to miss....

Agreed, and I was all set for a 2nd dip until my PS4 died yesterday morning.
I'm just 2 weeks out of warranty, so that's €150 for a Sony repair.

I would've definitely picked up that Zenith Apex Edition too. Cruel, cruel fate. 

Colin Zeal

I hadn't realised the sale finished at 2pm. I didn't log on until ten minutes after it had finished.

Dodsy

Not chasing up my order (yet  :lol:) but just wondering what the usual delivery time is for something from the store?
Also realise that with the sale it'll probably be a bit longer then usual  :)
Twitter - @dodsy84

IndigoPrime

It varies, especially when there's high volume and if something goes out of stock. I think when I ordered Brass Sun and Mek-Files 1, it was a few weeks before they arrived.

Molch-R

Due to the very high volume of sales over the weekend there will be delays to shipping as the warehouse droids sort through everything, so please be patient with them. We've popped a warning on the shop too, in case you see anyone complaining about it: