Main Menu

The Walking Dead Comic thread

Started by Goaty, 14 July, 2012, 06:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

I know what you mean, the echoes of the Guv story along with the punishing publishing schedule took its toll, the new stuff has done a nice set up, hopefully there will be a reckoning
DDT did a job on me

Tiplodocus

Well I've hit The Archers and the whispering zombies. Very good stuff and indeed a welcome change. The 'normal' lifebits probably read better as a trade but he's still guilty of telling not showing. A couple ofbgood two page spreads could have explained it all without the need for Rick interviewing people about harvests and crop rotation.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Goaty

Just read latest issue 144. Damn...

Tjm86

Quote from: Goaty on 09 July, 2015, 06:29:18 PM

Too bloody right!

I think the impact was all the greater after the last few months mundanity.

SIP

Never read a single issue but have loved the tv series. Just picked up the first comic compendium off amazon (collects the first 40 odd episodes) and really looking forward to reading it.

NapalmKev

Quote from: SIP on 10 July, 2015, 10:48:47 PM
Never read a single issue but have loved the tv series. Just picked up the first comic compendium off amazon (collects the first 40 odd episodes) and really looking forward to reading it.

I found the first Compendium to be a real good read but the second was a profound Borefest. Too much waffle, hardly any Zombies and the artwork seems to go downhill a bit, IMO.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Proudhuff

Quote from: Goaty on 09 July, 2015, 06:29:18 PM

Saw a spoiler, that is harsh.  :o

DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Can anyone work out how Alpha done that?
DDT did a job on me

Goaty

Just read latest no.148

that final page...  :o

BPP

Quote from: Goaty on 15 November, 2015, 12:17:30 PM
Just read latest no.148

that final page...  :o

Makes zero sense. Nor really does any of the recent story. Still, ya know... We do....
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

TordelBack

So after losing interest when the book seemed to jump the tiger, the library permitted me a binge-read from the Negan war right up to the end of Vol 24 (about 120-144 up to where the Whisperers, um, cull the herd).  I enjoyed it, especially the gory Vol 24 cliffhanger, but I'm afraid that along with endless Rick speeches there is still an awful lot of stupid to deal with - despite definite skill at keeping a narrative going and coming up with such a long series of effective gut-punch surprises, even aftervall this time Kirkman just doesn't seem to have put much thought into how his world actually works.

My biggest beef is still the failure to use leftover technology, like solar chargers and batteries, walkie-talkies (Eugene fiddling with a CB is too little lampshading too late), intruder alarms and watches, but add to that making clothes and tools other than swords and spears (how Carl makes what is obviously a mold-cast spearhead with a hammer and anvil is a mystery for the ages). Now they have an area relatively clear of walkers, there is simply no way they don't have access to enough garden equipment and hoodies to last them forever. I'm all for reestablishing crafts, but the apparent demand for what are bound to be hugely expensive and generally inferior goods makes little sense.

On a personal note, the nonsense of that fishing boat setup particularly annoyed me - it changes rig and century from panel to panel. One moment if has a bowsprit and a gaff rig, the next a fixed jib and ratlines!  And more to the point, if you've such a small boat, and you're the only one in the fishery, with only salt for preservation, why do you need to go out for more than a day at a time? Someone's been watching too much Deadliest Catch.

And don't get me started on how the Whisperers work - [spoiler]do those skins stink, or not? If not, why do they work (and attract insects), if they do, how do Lydia and Alpha not stink of rotting corpse when they take theirs off[/spoiler]?

But... It certainly is a darn good read in big chunk, simply for how sustained a soap opera it is. Adlard's achievement of maintaining a biweekly schedule, even with the (rather bland) help, is staggering. May have to chase up the uncollected issues. :D

Tiplodocus

Oooh! I must be a trade behind. Off to Forbidden Planet I go.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Proudhuff

I have to agree with everything TB says, that's the kind of things that irk me too. They're things that get shrugged off in the letter's page: When the main characters were travelling someone, quite rightly, commented that they could use bicycles, at least some of the time on/off the roads, towns, urban etc: fast silent and  simple tech they would be a lifesaver, all simply poo-pooed by Kirkman as a child's thing with streamers from the handlebars. But he's all for horses, which are seriously labour intensive (if you want it to live any length of time).

Renewables, hydro, wind-up, solar seldom if ever mention in the comics, ( solar was in the Gov's town I think on TV) and the fishing boat/pirates thing just doesn't make any sense at all, inland water would be teeming with fish by that time, while deep sea fishing is a hi-tech activity and wouldn't be high return without it or a huge fuel guzzling vessel. 

oh and how do the Whisperers feed that herd?
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Goaty

No. 150 -

[spoiler]Atta-boy! [/spoiler]  :o

Well done for The Walking Dead get to 150 issues now!
With different covers!