Main Menu

Weekly Shonen Jump Weekly update (hopefully)

Started by IronGraham, 05 November, 2013, 11:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Kohai Horikoshi is a man most shounen writers should take a leaf out of said book. In a single chapter he condenses more story than most of his fellows write in 10.

The Adventurer

I know right. He knows how to focus on the main characters and their development, yet give his side characters time to shine, without bogging down the narrative in the process.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

IronGraham

So who's going to be at TB maybe have a chat about WSJ
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Hawkmumbler

I'll be dithering about, IG. If you want to meet up at any point just shoot me a PM. :)

The Adventurer

Did any of you check out Platium End? It was pretty good, in a fucked up kind of way.

Hawkmumbler

I did buuuut I dunno. A few thing didn't quite ring true with me, and as I've said before I find Ohba a poor writer. But it's spooky cheap it's worth it for the art alone!

IronGraham

I liked and I'm a fan of their previous work Death Note<Bakuman and was sad to see the end of School Judgment

Hawkmumbler

Hero Academia PV1. Set to air chore 2 next year and run until Spetember and will cover up to around the most recent chapter, the final assessment arc.

http://youtu.be/o0L1YC9YgxM

The Adventurer

Sweet, I'll probably follow it to at least fill in the gap I haven read yet.

The Adventurer

My problem with Platinum End was mostly about how it missed an opertunity to deal with believable depression, instead for going with something far more over the top and contrived.

Hawkmumbler

Amusingly the author of Straighten UP! has started to incorporate actual songs and bands into his series. Starting with...One Direction?...Eh, whatever.

https://twitter.com/yokotainfo

IronGraham

Did not realise they were popular in Japan  :lol:

Hawkmumbler

Dandontdare

As somebody who has never read any manga, we've just had our works Secret Santa and I got a copy of Shonen Jump Advanced - DeathNote Vol 1.

Any comments? Is this an accessible intro or do I need a lot of backstory?

And it is so hard getting used to reading backwards!

The Adventurer

Deathnote is a stand alone series, so if you're starting from volume 1 you're good to go.