Main Menu

Doctor Who by Al Ewing, Rob Williams and Robbie Morrison AND Simon Fraser

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 February, 2014, 07:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: The Cosh on 18 June, 2015, 09:00:57 AM
So, what (if anything) would people recommend picking up for someone who isn't interested in Dr Who but does like the majority of the featured writers and artists? Are the comics separate enough from the tv series to be enjoyed in their own right?

The only Dr. Who comic I've ever read was that one when he crashed the TARDIS into Deaths Head.
He then used some very clever Time Lord technology (I think it was called a 'plot device') to shrink Deaths Head from Transformer size to regular human size.
Was pretty enjoyable though.

I've also have never felt the desire to read Dr. Who comics, despite having huge regard for many of the writers and artists, and (generally) enjoying the TV show.
Dunno why.

Hawkmumbler

Actualy the device 7 used on Deaths Head was The Masters "tissue compressor eliminator", which he had previously confiscated from his nemesis several stories prior.

Generaly none of the Doctor Who comics are overly relieant on the TV series to generate interest in a title, instead prity much any collection from Panini and the entire Titan 11th Doctor run have been superb.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: The Cosh on 18 June, 2015, 09:00:57 AM
So, what (if anything) would people recommend picking up for someone who isn't interested in Dr Who but does like the majority of the featured writers and artists? Are the comics separate enough from the tv series to be enjoyed in their own right?
So far, they're coming across like separate series in their own right, filling 'gaps', in the sense we see untold tales or even adventures with entirely new companions. Personally, I'm finding the Titan reprint comics a nice way to read all this stuff. It's kind of 2000 ADish, in the sense of being an anthology, an the repro's fine.

Colin YNWA

Yeah I'd echo what Hawkmonger said the 11th Doctor stuff has been superb in and is pretty much self contained. I'm also getting the 12th Doctor stuff but that's been a little patchier.

The Panini reprints (of which you are probably aware) particularly the first three feature Dave Gibbons art are quite superb.

I will then contradict myself by say that IndigoPrime is probably right though and the collected UK editions seem to present tremendous value!

IndigoPrime

The current direct debit sub works out at £3.20 per issue, including delivery. The UK cover price for the US-sized ones is £2.65 each. So you effectively 'save' £4.75 per month, the only downside being the Titan reprints are some way behind. (Given my reading pile of doom, I'm not so fussed about that side of things.)

Hawkmumbler

Well. Si Spurrier didn't waste much time, did he? 11th Doctor Season 2 #1 was phenomenal, gave a much needed reappearance from [spoiler]The War Doctor[/spoiler] after the recent weekly mini, and Si Fraser was on top form as ever. Long may it continue!

Oh, and yeah [spoiler]Absalom Daak is back. Thats kind of a big deal.[/spoiler]

Colin YNWA

Not got the issue yet but very much looking forward to Si Spurrier on Doctor Who, could be very wonderful.

Proudhuff

Just picked up the Weeping Angels of Mons TPB, Scots regiment, timey wimey stuff and Tennent.  Nice.
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Goosegash

In a very annoying move, it seems the Titan UK reprint has now gone to "Volume 2" already, and dropped the ongoing storylines from the individual comics in favour of a multi-Doctor story that I'm not enjoying nearly as much. I was getting into the 11th Doctor/ARC/Alice/NotBowie stuff, and looking at the published issues it seems there was a lot more of it still to come. Is this all a ploy so I have to go and buy the collected edition?

Goosegash

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 18 June, 2015, 11:20:05 AM
Generaly none of the Doctor Who comics are overly relieant on the TV series to generate interest in a title, instead prity much any collection from Panini

Absolutely. Scott Gray is probably the best writer the TV show never had(and Martin Geraghty the best artist Tharg never had).

In my opinion the only really "bad" Marvel/Panini comics are from the midpoint in the McCoy era, when no-one could really decide who the strip should be aimed at. Those are the only ones that have been really disappointing to read in collected form, because they're so all over the place tonally, lurching constantly from childishly simplistic to late 80s grim-and-gritty with no consistency at all

Hawkmumbler

OK, i'm only going to say this once. If you haven't bought 4th Doctor Who #1 by the Beeby droid yet, bloody well do so. It's aces!

Pop Culture Bandit

Here's our review of The Fourth Doctor # 1 (of 5) by Gordon Rennie and Emma Beeby!

"Quintessentially Doctor Who"
http://www.popculturebandit.co.uk/2016/03/review-doctor-who-4th-doctor-1-of-5.html

PCB

PS - For those interested, our full list of Doctor Who Comic Reviews are available here:
http://www.popculturebandit.co.uk/p/doctor-who-comics.html

Proudhuff

Quote from: Pop Culture Bandit on 04 April, 2016, 11:16:12 PM
Here's our review of The Fourth Doctor # 1 (of 5) by Gordon Rennie and Emma Beeby!

"Quintessentially Doctor Who"
http://www.popculturebandit.co.uk/2016/03/review-doctor-who-4th-doctor-1-of-5.html

PCB

PS - For those interested, our full list of Doctor Who Comic Reviews are available here:
http://www.popculturebandit.co.uk/p/doctor-who-comics.html

Oh alright then will pick it up  :D
DDT did a job on me