Main Menu

New Johnny Red series!?!

Started by Tombo, 07 September, 2015, 11:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citi-Def_Joe

Thanks, I am a bit out of the loop I know he has done a lot of world war II/Battle-esque things and I wondered if he may have done something with the character before as it seems like such an obvious fit for his style

Hawkmumbler

Garth would have been a wee lad when BPW was running.

Citi-Def_Joe

indeed I was wondering if he may have used the character in one of his runs for Dynamite Avater or Vertigo, I lost track of the different  world war 2 stories and mini series he has done

Bolt-01

Keith has done some work for FQP in the past and was the artist on the first of the SP strips that ran in the Meg all those years ago. in fact two of the strips he did for me were with Mike Moreci.

13school

I interviewed Ennis 20-mumble-something years ago when he came out to Australia for a comic convention - for some reason they gave us a full hour together and we spent about half of that talking about Battle, specifically Johnny Red.

I'd only picked up the occasional issue of Battle as a kid and had missed the dramatic conclusion of a storyline in which Johnny Red had come back from the dead (well, "the dead") as a skull-faced creature flying a blood-red plane and slowly picked off the crew of a Fw200 one by one, so Ennis brought me up to speed with how that all panned out.

So yep, been waiting a long time for this one.

Proudhuff

Picked up the comic today, Titan are doing a cracking job on this, Nice story, artwork and intro to the tale.
Highly Recommended

DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Oh cool I'd missed that this was out already (well I've been looking forward for an age but feels like it was still a while off) can't wait to get it next trip to the nerd shop.

Tjm86

My comics bundle turned up today and I am SOOOOOO glad that I added this to the subs.  Bit of a no brainer.  Not familiar with Burns' artwork but it works well.  Ennis goes with a standard trope to get the story started and bring unfamiliar readers up to speed.  It is a different beast to the old Battle stuff on one level.  No doubt benefitting from more pages per episode.  There are however certainly similarities and it does read like an old friend.  Ennis' love of the genre and old Battle characters shines through and I for one am looking forward to seeing where he takes it.  Almost makes up for Titan cancelling the fourth volume (got the email through earlier this week!)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tjm86 on 06 November, 2015, 04:23:17 PM
Almost makes up for Titan cancelling the fourth volume (got the email through earlier this week!)

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO! WHYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!! HHHHHHOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!! WHHHHHHHOOOOOOO!!!!!

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Citi-Def_Joe

Quote from: Tjm86 on 06 November, 2015, 04:23:17 PM
My comics bundle turned up today and I am SOOOOOO glad that I added this to the subs.  Bit of a no brainer.  Not familiar with Burns' artwork but it works well.  Ennis goes with a standard trope to get the story started and bring unfamiliar readers up to speed.  It is a different beast to the old Battle stuff on one level.  No doubt benefitting from more pages per episode.  There are however certainly similarities and it does read like an old friend.  Ennis' love of the genre and old Battle characters shines through and I for one am looking forward to seeing where he takes it.
Sounds great I am hoping it will be collected at some point

Quote from: Tjm86 on 06 November, 2015, 04:23:17 PMAlmost makes up for Titan cancelling the fourth volume (got the email through earlier this week!)

Pardon my ignorance but fourth volume of what?

Tjm86

Quote from: Citi-Def_Joe on 09 November, 2015, 10:36:33 PM

Titan had been reprinting Johnny Red from Battle just as they did with Charley's War.  They have done three volumes so far but have stalled at the moment.  If you haven't had the pleasure then these cannot be recommended highly enough.

Citi-Def_Joe

Quote from: Tjm86 on 10 November, 2015, 05:29:58 AM
Quote from: Citi-Def_Joe on 09 November, 2015, 10:36:33 PM

Titan had been reprinting Johnny Red from Battle just as they did with Charley's War.  They have done three volumes so far but have stalled at the moment.  If you haven't had the pleasure then these cannot be recommended highly enough.

Ah I see thanks very much

Colin YNWA

So finally got this and its was good, possibly even better than I expected.

Tjm86

Issue 2 with an Ian Kennedy cover.  Gorgeous.  Just wondering who the other variant's might be.  Wish list would start with Cam Kennedy, then Colin Wilson, Dave Gibbons, David Lloyd, Weston, Erskine ...

Sigh!

Proudhuff

Grreat cover on No2, but I find the James Bond stlye of womanising a let down, obvious, dated and predictable. :thumbsdown:
DDT did a job on me