Main Menu

Out of Print Classics

Started by Hawkmumbler, 20 November, 2015, 11:04:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Title say's it all really, their are so many ace comics about that often not only do readers get spoiled for choice but distributers have to gamble which classics are in need of a rerelease.

I for one have always been frustrated with how American Flagg! has been treated by the likes of Image, Dynamite and Titan. It's a brilliant comic, from what some 12 issues i've read and in dire need of a proper omnibus release, not the slap dash part releases we've seen thus far.

Early Groo the Wanderer is also sparsely available, with the first dozen volumes being somewhat difficult to track down and a few going for crazy prices, and thats a shame as Groo is a cracking comic in much need of a better set of trades.

So yeah, this is basicly a thread for moaning. Not that we have enough of that as it is!

ming

Metalzoic.  More than a bit gutted that after so many years in the wilderness the reprint plans for this didn't pan out...  (I have the original DC book but the Prog version, being in B&W, is far preferable, even on bog paper).  One day I hope to see all this resolved; such a great story and the artwork is up there with the very best of O'Neill.

Colin YNWA

I've said it before and no doubt I'll have to say it again - alas but Blueberry. I want the rest of bloomin' Blueberry and not just the Moebius stuff I'd like me some of that Colin Wilson goodness too. With so much of the great material from the continent seeing print these days I've always thought it was just a matter of time before Blueberry made it back out into the (English language) wilds but I'm beginning to lose hope.

I, Cosh

Interestingly, I saw the first volume of a new (German) edition of Trigan Empire in my local comic shop lat month.
We never really die.

TordelBack

Affordable phonebooks of original Dan Dare and Trigan Empire would be fantastic. I love the material, but just can't stretch to the skinny hardbacks

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ming on 20 November, 2015, 11:19:56 AM
Metalzoic.  More than a bit gutted that after so many years in the wilderness the reprint plans for this didn't pan out...  (I have the original DC book but the Prog version, being in B&W, is far preferable, even on bog paper).  One day I hope to see all this resolved; such a great story and the artwork is up there with the very best of O'Neill.

Speaking of which...I lost mine or somebody got into my room and nicked it.

TordelBack

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 20 November, 2015, 01:36:52 PM
Quote from: ming on 20 November, 2015, 11:19:56 AM

Speaking of which...I lost mine or somebody got into my room and nicked it.

Have you checked under any of your copies of Conquering Armies?  ;)

James Stacey

Quote from: Tordelback on 20 November, 2015, 01:32:11 PM
Affordable phonebooks of original Dan Dare and Trigan Empire would be fantastic. I love the material, but just can't stretch to the skinny hardbacks
Very much this.

Fungus

Some Cerebus Aardbacks would be nice.

Hawkmumbler

The phonebooks for Cerebus are easy enough to find, it's the prices they go for thats the problem! At this point i've found Amazon Marketplace a better resource than Ebay. But yeah, a re release wouldn't go unappreciated.

Fungus

That's it, overpriced and often tatty which doesn't appeal. In an ideal world, volumes half the size, hardcover and paper stock somewhere between bog roll and glossy. I'd buy 'em.

Hawkmumbler

Smaller?! I think the phonebooks are ideal as is, just the perfect print size for the content and they look lovely.

I'd like to see The Spirit get another complete run. DC's 26 volume run can be a little hard to track down, so how's about Dynamite reissue them in 2-in-1's, reducing the volume count to 13.

Magnetica

The Complete Nemesis the Warlock Vol 1.

Can't seem to find a retailer who has this - other than crazy prices on Amazon. Just seen a new one advertised at £812.  Seriously are you kidding me?  Used at £65!!!

Vols 2 and 3 are relatively easy to get hold of though. What is going on??

Anyway luckily a) I have all the original Progs anyway and b) my local library has a couple of copies (and you can renew loads of times).

Anyway - one of the greatest ever comics IMHO. And the art - oh my now good is that?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Magnetica on 20 November, 2015, 08:58:54 PM
The Complete Nemesis the Warlock Vol 1.

Can't seem to find a retailer who has this - other than crazy prices on Amazon. Just seen a new one advertised at £812.  Seriously are you kidding me?  Used at £65!!!

What with the release of the new Ro-Busters hardback to join the ABC Warriors hardbacks, I'm hoping for some eventual matching Nemesis books - I want the whole glorious Millsverse saga on one shelf!
@jamesfeistdraws

Fungus

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 20 November, 2015, 05:05:04 PM
Smaller?! I think the phonebooks are ideal as is, just the perfect print size for the content and they look lovely.

Page-count! Not page area!