Main Menu

2000 AD Where are you in Smiths?

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 06 December, 2012, 04:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tombo

Quote from: The Adventurer on 06 December, 2012, 11:03:30 PM
You really shouldn't reorganize magazine racks like that. A lot of the time the position of things are set by the vendors. And it just puts extra work on the employees to put things back after you.... fix things.

Really its Rebellions job to negotiate with their distributors to make sure the Prog and Meg are more visible on magazine racks.

As someone who regularly has to put displays to plan I feel qualified to call "bunkum" on that.  More often than not plans from on high are designed by middle management who feel the need to justify their existence by passing down "brilliant ideas" without actually looking to see how the display would look in reality.

The planograms I used to deal with at Woolworths consisted on nothing more than horizontal lines representing the shelving and copy-and-pasted images of the stock all of which had been shrunk to the same size.

I suspect that the plans for WH Smiths magazine racks are designed by a frustrated Dr. Who fan!

Molch-R

Really its Rebellions job to negotiate with their distributors to make sure the Prog and Meg are more visible on magazine racks.

You're funny. Tell us another one....

Andy Smart

Quote from: Tombo on 06 December, 2012, 11:20:29 PM
You really shouldn't reorganize magazine racks like that. A lot of the time the position of things are set by the vendors. And it just puts extra work on the employees to put things back after you.... fix things.

As someone who regularly has to put displays to plan I feel qualified to call "bunkum" on that.  More often than not plans from on high are designed by middle management who feel the need to justify their existence by passing down "brilliant ideas" without actually looking to see how the display would look in reality.

The planograms I used to deal with at Woolworths consisted on nothing more than horizontal lines representing the shelving and copy-and-pasted images of the stock all of which had been shrunk to the same size.

I suspect that the plans for WH Smiths magazine racks are designed by a frustrated Dr. Who fan!

I used to deal with planograms too. They also bear no relation to the actual shop layouts. ie the fag unit had a specific number of slots but they would always want to cram more packs in there than was space.

Bolt-01

I put the prog to the front in the ASDA near me two or three times a week.

James Stacey

went into WHS on queen street Cardiff last night and someone had already rearranged Toof to the front, so I added the Meg to it.

Spikes

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 07 December, 2012, 11:33:19 AM
I put the prog to the front in the ASDA near me two or three times a week.

Yep. After a while you'd think they'd take the hint,  ;)

Stu101

I hearby apply to join the rearranging team, unfortunately I very rarely see either 2000ad or the Meg in newsagents or Supermarkets... Loved Judge Burdis' before and after pics  :lol:

TordelBack

All joking aside, I'm sure it really can make a difference to sales. 

Since the Prog moved to the front (of its own accord) in my local Easons the brilliant covers really grab you from right across the shop.  The quality of cover is so different from the cluttered be-tatted kids comics, the superhero digests and the air-brushed-actor/model/same-thing-photo covers of almost everything else that when they're actually visible they really stand out.  This week, I could see the Trifecta cover calling to me from outside! 

Keep it up, vampire street team.

Spikes

COMMANDO FORCES

I'm hoping to fill the whole stand this Wednesday with the end of year beauties :D

Spikes

Havent quite managed to do that CF, but every little helps - as they say.

Link Prime

Was in Edinburgh last weekend- checked one high street WH Smiths and three (!) in the airport...no Thrill Power on sale.
Worrying my Scottish brethren, worrying.

revis84

Quote from: Link Prime on 15 December, 2012, 03:57:41 PM
Was in Edinburgh last weekend- checked one high street WH Smiths and three (!) in the airport...no Thrill Power on sale.
Worrying my Scottish brethren, worrying.

My local Smiths sell both prog and meg, while nearby Asdas (2-3 miles away) only stock the prog.

The thing is everytime I go into Smiths to get my thrills there's always 4 or 5 copies sitting-prompting me to think I am the only person in my town funding Tharg & Co.

Scary indeed.

staticgirl

Whereas a couple of small local newsies have started selling it in Watford this year that never used to.

sheldipez

My local newsagents only started selling 2000ad this year. My local Asda stocks the prog and none of the Tescos around here sell anything but children's comics (the ones with free toys stuck to them).