Main Menu

Are there any really bad 2000ad strips?

Started by marko10174, 18 March, 2017, 04:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malkymac

Brigand Doom was not awful I suppose but thinking back now I have no idea what was going on in it.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: malkymac on 20 March, 2017, 07:08:25 PM
Brigand Doom was not awful I suppose but thinking back now I have no idea what was going on in it.

Just read V for Vendetta - it's pretty much the same thing, but better.

While I thought Mark Millar's Dredd was awful, I really liked Silo, Big Dave and a couple of his one-offs. And I kind of liked Return to Verdus at the time too - I didn't remember much of the original Robo-Hunter at the time (and hadn't watched Apocalypse Now either). I've been wished the golf-club-skewering death from the story for saying this on the forum before - it's generally the friendliest place on the internet, but not always.

I really disliked pretty much everything Garth Ennis did for the prog when they brought him on board.  Even his better Dredds showed poor characterisation and dialogue.  It was only things like Zenith Phase 4 and most of what John Smith was doing that kept me buying during that period, and when John Wagner came back, it was like a new beginning.

Strangely, though, I liked his two later returns to Dredd.  I think I'm the only person who enjoyed Helter Skelter, but I found that in it and Monkey on my Back his Dredd as a character was no longer the monosyllabic, sweary thug that he gave us in Judgement Day.  Though being Garth Ennis stories, they of course had Unforgiven endings.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

marko10174

I read 2000ad as a kid, it was a short affair, December 94 to November 95. I did watch a 2000ad documentary that described 1995 as one of 2D's worst years, and that it nearly ended up getting the comic cancelled the next year. I recently reread nearly all of 95' progs and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I loved Finn, Amoured Gideon, the Brigand doom story was quite entertaining (great art work). I even enjoyed "Timehouse" which everybody appears to hate lol.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

Quote from: AlexF on 20 March, 2017, 05:00:19 PM
Other strips that I get the impression are generally disliked, but haven't been mentioned yet:
Soul Sisters (It is barely readable as a story, but Shaky Kane art is always worth a look to my mind)
MACH O (especially book 2; for whatever reason I found the whole thing charming)
Helltrekkers
MoonRunners
-neither of these last two are that bad, but they both committed the crime of just going on and on and on when they ran in the Prog.

I liked M.A.C.H.0 - reminds me of Ro-Jaws Memoirs (not just because they had the same artist).  I also thought Helltrekkers was great - can't beat a rapidly diminishing cast list! 

Moonrunners wasn't the best use of Bellardinelli's artwork, though maybe I'll enjoy it more next time I read it. 

I'm not a fan of Shaky Kane or Jack Kirby, so Soul Sisters is irredeemable in my eyes ;)

Rogue Judge

I actually enjoy Ennis' Dredd run, especially the first half (including Emerald Isle, Death Aid, and Judgement Day). Yes, his love for Dredd sometimes reads like fanficiton, but I mostly found his strips entertaining and humorous. However, I really did not like Muzak Killer...

Richard

Muzak Killer was Garth at his lowest ebb, and I can't understand why it's in the Mega-Collection. But I liked Helter Skelter, Raider, Justice One, The Marshall, to name but four.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 20 March, 2017, 09:09:44 PMHowever, I really did not like Muzak Killer...

I was about to say that you'd probably have enjoyed it if you'd been an NME-reading teenager at the time.  But then I remembered that I was, and I didn't.

Ersatz Jason Donovan's overexcited confession to Dredd about his ersatz cocaine use was just ridiculous. And not in an intentional, fatties-and-simps way either.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

Diverting the thread somewhat to kindly slip in the fact I very much don't hate Purgatory. It's utter guff but I can enjoy it as a piece of exploitation escapism.

Dog Deever

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 20 March, 2017, 10:26:29 PM
Diverting the thread somewhat to kindly slip in the fact I very much don't hate Purgatory. It's utter guff but I can enjoy it as a piece of exploitation escapism.
seconded.
Did Moonrunners go on for ages? I recall very little about it other than it being a bit of a waste of Belardinelli art and nothing seemed to happen- in fact all I recall is some pointless milling about on a ship and that awful, contrived towel-slip scene (which was later beaten into second place for Worst Awful, Contrived Towel-slip Scene by Grey Area).
I too enjoyed Death Aid very much.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

SuperSurfer

I really liked the (not very original) concept of Mach Zero, which I thought was a bit of a 2000AD version of Hulk. Haven't read it since it was first published though. The younger version of me was never going to appreciate art by Ramon Sola and Mike Dorey. Quite the opposite now. And Mike Dorey's style no longer creeps me out (much). 

I have fond memories of the 2000AD version of Captain Klep, perhaps because the Kevin O'Neill version sticks in my mind and because I produced comics as a teenager that 'borrowed' some of the gags.

Rara Avis

Zombie Communism?

Quote from: malkymac on 20 March, 2017, 07:08:25 PM

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Rara Avis on 21 March, 2017, 02:17:20 PM
Zombie Communism?

Walkers of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your BRAINS!
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

TordelBack

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 21 March, 2017, 02:48:09 PM
Quote from: Rara Avis on 21 March, 2017, 02:17:20 PM
Zombie Communism?

Walkers of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your BRAINS!

Imagine there's a 'Like' button and i'm pushing it hard.

Smith

Quote from: Richard on 20 March, 2017, 09:21:33 PM
Muzak Killer was Garth at his lowest ebb, and I can't understand why it's in the Mega-Collection. But I liked Helter Skelter, Raider, Justice One, The Marshall, to name but four.
Yeah,Helter Skelter was pretty fun.
But compare Emerald Isle to its sequel and you can see that Ennis really burned out by the end of his run.
Btw,nobody mentioned the Corps so far?Thank Grud,Garths take on Kleggs didnt stick.