Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: judgefloyd on 03 December, 2012, 08:41:28 PM
I'm not really involved because I live in idyllic Australia where the press would never do rotten things like that and haven't been caught yet.

The proposed body won't have any influence in Scotland, so I'm technically a disinterested party too. Wee Eck will decide whether Trout is free to continue hacking JK Rowling's phone or not; so if the worst predictions come true, and all English papers become Pravda, you might all be fighting the Scots economic migrants in your midst for the few copies of the Daily Record you sometimes get at service stations down South for news from the free world.

Spikes

They better not try to remove the Page Three Girl..

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Judge Jack on 03 December, 2012, 09:19:05 PM
They better not try to remove the Page Three Girl..

Don't worry they won't, she'll just become that scabby prostitute Winston Smith visits.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

They could put a 50ft inflatable penis up on Belfast city hall for all I care. For one thing it would be less embarrassing seeing that on the news.
You may quote me on that.

Stan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 03 December, 2012, 07:03:00 PM
Ian Hislop has observed that pretty much all the objectionable behaviour highlighted by Leveson is already illegal under UK law, and that the real failure is of the police to investigate and prosecute appropriately under existing legislation.

But, then, they were being given brown paper bags stuffed with twenties by the tabloid hacks.

Cheers

Jim

Indeed. If I rob a bank, Parliament won't ask that I resign as Chief Bank Robber Extraordinaire or launch some huge inquiry in order to stop future bank robbing while allowing me to roam free to commit more crimes. They'd just throw me in prison (I'd hope!).

How is it that these people live under different rules? It seems like a clear case of problem>reaction>solution.

Screw giving more power to government, who have already shown an unwillingness to enforce existing legislation. Just throw these crooks in prison and be done with it.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Pops on 04 December, 2012, 06:32:32 PM
They could put a 50ft inflatable penis up on Belfast city hall for all I care. For one thing it would be less embarrassing seeing that on the news.

I see they're at it in Carrick, too.
Idiots.

TordelBack

Daft business, both the removal and the reaction.  The only good flag is a black one, and I'd hoist it with the intestines of the lot of 'em.

Meanwhile in the Glorious Republic the yearning for and fear of which seems to generate such passion, yesterday's budget has taken half of our already meagre weekly grocery budget away, so expect to be seeing less of me, b'dum tish.  I'm sure the international money men can spend it better on a baby sandwich.  On the plus side, the back garden is looking very good for rice growing (resisting obvious joke).

Join ussssss.

maryanddavid

Quotehalf of our already meagre weekly grocery budget away
:o
And thought we had been hit a bit.

Modern Panther

I'm all for just throwing the criminals in prison, but if you have an issue with a tabloid, what are you going to do about it?  contact the police force who took bribes and hope they decide you are important enough to allocate resources to?  Employ a solicitor and take on a powerful organisation with deep pockets and a complete lack of morals?  maybe the complaints commission set up and controlled by the editors?

A new body wouldn't give new powers to parliament - it would give powers to investigateto an independent organisation, outwith political interference.

Professor Bear

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 December, 2012, 08:56:02 AMyesterday's budget has taken half of our already meagre weekly grocery budget away

You live in Ireland so I assume you hear this a lot already:  MOVE.

Mikey

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 06 December, 2012, 07:42:56 AM

I see they're at it in Carrick, too.
Idiots.

And Bangor last night too. Like the joke goes 'You are now landing at Belfast International Airport. Please put back your watches 300 years'

Reminds me of this a bit

For the record I don't give a shite what flag if any they fly, but you would really think by now everyone would know it'll kick off if you start to change anything at all about anything. Woeful. I understand the objection to it's presence and also how important it is for some to see it flying, but in the name of good fuck what difference does it make? Ignore it or salute it, just grow up ye friggin glypes.

M.

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Professor Bear

My favorite bit of flag malarky was when one of our local political loudmouths saw a load of flags from around the world flying over a primary school and deciding the Italian one was actually the Irish tricolour, so he went on Facebook and declared the school an IRA training ground.  Another reason why I don't vote.

NapalmKev

I think 'flags' are largely irrelevant. They're mostly used these days for inciting some form of violence or hatred, or other such nonsense. Take the middle East for example; the media regularly showed burning American flags and baying mobs, but I find it hard to that American flags are readily available in their countries if their hatred is that intense.
(beware the 'Press' bearing gifts)

Flags are just another Propaganda tool, that bear no relevance in the modern world!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkeye McGillicuddy on 06 December, 2012, 01:57:23 PM
My favorite bit of flag malarky was when one of our local political loudmouths saw a load of flags from around the world flying over a primary school and deciding the Italian one was actually the Irish tricolour, so he went on Facebook and declared the school an IRA training ground. 

In fairness that was one of the funniest things ever (repercussions aside), almost justified the Troubles in their entirety

As to moving, who'd have me?  Can't sell the house [not one single unit has sold in our estate since 2010], can't rent it out, owe about 280K on the mortgage, plus have 5-figure personal debt inherited from my failed business and absolutely no savings,  negotiating  the least bad way/stage to declare personal bankruptcy, our only 'asset' is the wife's job which we would obviously lose after a move. 

Even if any self-respecting country would let me in in the first place with that shining portfolio of failure, we'd rapidly starve without some sort of a float, and wouldn't have the deposit for a rental place or to cover childcare so we could actually get out and find work.  Don't think I haven't thought about moving, but I'm afraid you're stuck with me for now! 

I confess I was rather enjoying the house-husband challenge of feeding the four of us decent food on the 50 euro a week (supplemented by garden and foraging) we have left after mortgage and debt repayments, insurance, power, school and transport, but as that will now apparently be below 25, unless we find another 1200 a year to cut from the overall household budget, I'm not so keen.  Still, I'm sure it can be done - Enda and Eamon would only ever act in my best interests, eh?

More sensibly, there are many and far more vulnerable others hit far harder, the missus still has a job and we're all hale and happy  - it's the entirely imaginary value of my house re: property tax that's really kicking us in the balls.  What's the actual monetary value of an asset that you can't monetise?

The Legendary Shark

There's nothing wrong with flags. Flags are colourful and pretty and help large groups of athletes find their way around various stadiums during opening ceremonies.

What I do object to is those people who hold up anything (be it a book, a belief, a system or a flag) and expect other people to bleed over it.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]