Main Menu

VOTE FOR THE 2011 COVER OF THE YEAR!

Started by Pete Wells, 11 December, 2011, 10:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Vote early and vote often is my motto, but I've failed on both counts.

My top two have been jousting with each other since the day they slipped out of Tharg's silky envelopes. To put one above the other is wilful caprice.
Third place could've gone to several others, but ultimately this is the one that stuck in the mind.

3rd. Prog 1752 - D'Israeli. Another fantastically stylish cover from the mild-mannered maestro.
2nd. Prog 1727 - Henry Flint. A really fun cover with a wonderful level of detail.
1st.  Prog 1734 - Garry Brown. So simple yet so striking. Proof you don't need an action packed cover to stand out from the crowd.

HMs. Chris Weston's 1760 and James Mckay's 1729 could both easily have made the list and Tiernan Trevallion's 1732 was another cracking image but just a little too static to make a great cover.

Quote from: Emperor on 31 December, 2011, 03:55:10 PM
It is best 2000AD cover of the year, not the 2000AD forum's favourite....
Well, I don't like to be a pedant, but the title of the thread is "2011 cover of the year" so I felt the Megs were unfairly written out of history like an unlucky Stalinist functionary.  ;)

I know they never win, but both Tiernan T's Christmas cover and Colin Macneil's big burny badge on 305 would've been contenders for me.
We never really die.

mygrimmbrother

After much deliberation, cogitation etc, I'll go for:

In 3rd place - 1732 - Tiernan Trevaillon/Absalom
In 2nd place - 1763 - Henry Flint/Dredd
In 1st place - 1752 - D'Israeli/Dirty Frank

Kerrin

1. 1763. Dredd by Henry Flint.
2. 1752. Lowlife by D'Israeli.
3. 1727. Shakara by Henry Flint.

Happy New Year Squaxx!

Dandontdare

Tough year, so many good covers. Surprised to find no Dredds , even in my longlist. But in reverse order...

3rd - 1762 ANGEL ZERO
2nd - 1739 ABSALOM
1sr - 1746 ZOMBO

Pete Wells

Aaaaand, voting has closed!

I'll let you know the winners tomorrow!

Let the maths gags begin!

COMMANDO FORCES

By tomorrow do you mean Wednesday or did you really mean later today. I only ask as I know this type of thing confuses you  ;)

Emperor

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 03 January, 2012, 03:09:02 AM
By tomorrow do you mean Wednesday or did you really mean later today. I only ask as I know this type of thing confuses you  ;)

It should be later today - the sums have been done, the numbers doublechecked by a Swiss mathematician and the winners decided. He only said that tomorrow to instil a bit of drama to the proceedings. Possibly.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

TordelBack

Colin YNWA

I'll put this here as the results thread should be left for celebrating the work involved.

This list from US blog Robot 6 (part of CBR) makes for an interesting comparison.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2012/01/the-50-best-covers-of-2011/

Now don't get me wrong there are some bloomin' lovely covers there, but I do think its fair to say that this years 2000ad covers stand up very well against these top 50 from the major (and majorish) US publishers?

Hope my natural bias isn't taking that too far?

Emperor

It always "amuses" me to see such things, when it should really be called "the best covers from the top 5 or 6 American comic book publishers in 2011." ;)

Nice to see Jock get a mention and Francesco Francavilla's Abe Sapien cover is fantastic (remember Tharg, he is a fan of Judge Dredd....).
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+