Main Menu

Help a Poor Futsie Spend His Creds!

Started by Rogue Judge, 26 January, 2017, 08:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Lambert

QuoteAndy, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on Meltdown Man, another series that appeals to me. I have not yet bought Age of the Wolf but I am really looking forward to it. The next batch of thrill power I buy will likely be a mix of Age of the Wolf, Case Files, and finishing of my Tales of Nu Earth collection (and possibly Missionary Man...).

Meltdown Man was kinda fun in a juvenile sort of way - quite a lengthy strip as I think it was presented in one weekly run between October 1980 and August 1981. I felt that it could've been told in fewer episodes, and it did appear as just a series of set pieces for the most part, but I still devoured it in a week. Bellardinelli's artwork is just amazing, the Yujees and the world they live in are beautifully rendered and worth the book's price alone.
If you enjoyed the style of story telling of the early progs, in particular Dan Dare, Black Hawk, early Judge Dredd and ABC Warriors, you'll probably enjoy this.

Hope you enjoy Age Of The Wolf - hopefully I haven't overhyped that one...! lol

sheridan

No idea, but he used to append D'emon D'raughtsman to his moniker (in the pages of Deadline - not sure if he used it outside that tome).

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 17 February, 2017, 10:21:53 PM
So these arrived this week - I am thrilled (see image below)! (I'm still waiting for Volgan Wars v.1 to arrive from the webshop, hopefully soon as I cant start reading the others without it). That Mek Files #1 is a beautiful large HC, I really look forward to reading it. And art in Volgan War is mind blowing!

The fist book I read was Leviathan, which I read in a single sitting last night (while sitting one the couch beside my wife while she read the novel 'The Woman in Cabin 10' - timely that we were both reading horror/suspense books about cruise ships).

My thoughts on Leviathan (mostly spoiler free, but I will include a few): [spoiler]First of all I can see why everybody likes this series, it really gets the imagination going and the great artwork by Matt Brooker ( D'Israeli - any idea why he calls himself that?) beautifully creates the world that is the Leviathan. The story starts out quickly with the first murder in first class and unfolds into the journey to the engine room. Honestly, I enjoyed the first 3/4 of the book the most, when there was still mystery and some intrigue as to why/who was responsible for the murders. Also, the reveal of Hastur wasn't as surprising as it should have been as his appearance was mentioned in an amazon review I read (plus his head is on the spine of the book...). I liked that it was in B&W too, as the imagination filled in the gaps nicely (what would be the yellow colors of limbo etc.) The ties to the Biblical narrative were interesting (the dealings with one of the wise men / the fallen angels etc.) - with him being a demon and all its hard to tell what he was lying about and what was the truth, I would likely believe the opposite of what he was telling me if I was Detective Lament.
The ending was satisfying, if not a little quickly resolved - I would have liked to have seen more of the lower levels of the ship and how people lived there. The fight with Ashbless at the end was solid, it was good to see him get what was coming. Finally, I didn't necessarily like the way that Hastur kept his word and returned Leviathan to NYC; I would have liked to have seen the weeks ensuing where he betrays/kills all of the passengers from the Leviathan in mysterious ways, or something.  [/spoiler]

Overall, a very interesting read. I am more into sci-fi than spiritual/magic books, therefore I still prefer books like Jaegir and Kingdom. I never enjoy stories as much when quick deal with a demon/ghost what have you uses magic to make everything better (see Spiderman One more day etc.)  A quick flip through Buttonman also has me Very excited.

Thanks again for everyone's opinions, I will be reading Button Man next! (Unless Volgan War v.1 arrives - I am anticipating that the most right now)

Note that I am not comparing Leviathan to OMD...just the "deal with the devil" solution to resolve stories. Leviathan was much different as the whole plot revolved around it which was unique.

CalHab

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 17 February, 2017, 11:55:21 PM
Note that I am not comparing Leviathan to OMD...just the "deal with the devil" solution to resolve stories. Leviathan was much different as the whole plot revolved around it which was unique.

I was momentarily confused there, as I couldn't work out why you were referring to 80s synth band Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark. I think I need a coffee.

CalHab

Quote from: Andy Lambert on 17 February, 2017, 03:52:40 PM
Quote from: Molch-R on 17 February, 2017, 03:50:30 PM
Quote from: Andy Lambert on 17 February, 2017, 03:45:51 PM
If you find v.2 at an affordable price, please do let me know.

Might be worth looking in the webshop in 6-8 weeks' time as it's just been sent to be reprinted.

That news has just made my day! Thank you...! :)

Now, since we're talking about reprints.... about vol.1 of Ace Trucking Co. .... ;)

A reprint of Ace vol. 1 would be very welcome.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: CalHab on 18 February, 2017, 08:15:08 AMI was momentarily confused there, as I couldn't work out why you were referring to 80s synth band Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark.
Heh – snap! (Old synth-op gits unite!)