Main Menu

Meg 359 rookie move

Started by moly, 11 April, 2015, 11:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Stacey

Quote from: Proudhuff on 20 April, 2015, 05:55:29 PM
Quote from: James Stacey on 20 April, 2015, 12:03:04 PM

How awesome would a 'Commando' format Dredd monthly be. Pretty awesome.

Not Monthly, but I think of the Zarjaz fanzine as this
I was thinking more of a long-format self contained story rather than the Zarjaz format (great though it is) of a number of shorter stories.

GordonR

There pretty much is this longer format monthly Dredd comic already, isn't there?  It's called Judge Dredd, and is published by IDW.

I'm not sure Rebellion would be in the business of putting out a competing product to something already produced by a licencing partner.

On a freelancer level, one Megazine-length Dredd story every month might be fine and dandy for the writer and artist creative team on it , but what about everyone else?  There's not a huge amount of work in the UK comics industry, and removing the Megazine anthology format will seriously impact a lot of UK creators. 

Some will drift away in search of other work, and the Megazine's traditional remit (admittedly not so strong these days, but it's still there) for finding and nurturing new talent will pretty much entirely disappear, with the same old lags hogging all the action in this 12 stories a year format.   

I'm very sure this would eventually have a serious impact on 2000AD as well, as the talent pool available shrinks due to the change in the Megazine format.

Dark Jimbo

All good arguments Gordon, which put me in mind of that astoundingly short-sighted poster who, earlier this year, kept insisting that - because he wasn't enjoying the Meg - they should just cancel the whole publication. Pretty sure he said the same about the floppy reprints, too. God forbid if he should ever stop enjoying the prog!
@jamesfeistdraws

James Stacey

Sorry Gordon, I wasn't suggesting a megazine replacement. American Reaper aside, and thats a personal choice, its pretty much always great. Nor was I thinking of a IDW style ongoing series, but a stand alone single story type affair like the commando publications (or even the Dandy / Beano comic library format) It's not going to happen, I doubt very much it would be economically viable, just thought it would be cool

Magnetica

Great Meg.

Really enjoyed all the stories.

Even Reaper Files. It has, at its heart a very good concept.

The Cop is just superb. Really love Ben Willsher's art and the story is great.

Looking forward to next month.

Link Prime

Just like to add some praise to Rennie & Carters Angelic.
A terse gem.