Main Menu

Meg 371 - Clouded Judgement

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 16 April, 2016, 05:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonn Clarke

Cover by Ben Willsher and I like the skull background. Lovely work.

Dredd. Rico and Kouburn head off after the Cowboys from the Prog story and Henry Flint gives us a hint of Ezquerra which is apt as he is the modern King of Dredd art for me.

Read the FCBD preview article and looking forward to it. Hoping I can get to the Orbital signing.

Realm of the Damned is starting to make sense now as Van Helsing gears up for the hunt.

Lawless is back and Winslade's beautiful b&w art is truly Zarjaz.

Dust finishes and again the arti superlative. Yup, I'll take some more of that please.

Haven't read the other articles yet but probably will be reading the Tharg's Thrillers floppy just got gunheads.

Tjm86

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 16 April, 2016, 05:15:29 PM

Read the FCBD preview article and looking forward to it. Hoping I can get to the Orbital signing.

Got my charity bid all lined up and waiting.  Will join the last two year's FCBD charity signed progs if successful.

Magnetica

Only read Judge Dredd so far.

I note the conversations between the Judges[spoiler] veer away from outright confirming Dredd is dead. So I guess he isn't.[/spoiler]

Proudhuff

Great cover nicely executed. and no jangly text!
Eamonn pretty much nails it above, Some nice stuff for Trekkies, a guide to the Goon and an Obit for Tony Luke in the articles

Next month sees Boo Cook return along with TC Eglington in Blunt.
DDT did a job on me

Devons Daddy

just completed the Meg
good enjoyable,
but still realing from the PROG to be honest, WTF.........
so avoiding the main issue, no spoilers, My stomach actually turned which is incredible

Truly enjoying the meg recently, its going from strength to strength of late.
rico and Koburn side by side OH YES!!!!!!!

Lawless this I enjoy, touched a lot of buttons for me,

STAY SHARP Art has me wiping my chin...... can't wait thats a real tease in a bloody awesome way.

Really enjoying the articles overall, adding a texture and depth to the meg which makes it a deeper read for me, all this and the podcast, slightly overwhelming in a GREAT WAY

cover is good art, really is.
I just enjoy the classic uniform style more personally.

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Colin YNWA

A much needed up turn in the Prog. Lead mainly by the return of Lawless, which is indeed Lawsonless as Pettifer quite superbly takes control of the strip as Lwson remains missing. Its quite superb stuff and wonderfully realised by Phil Winslade. Dredd is also much improved and looks quite stunning. It doesn't quite live up to the excitment its headlines would suggest with Koburn adding to the excitment of the follow up to the Progs stunner but its good solid stuff and the action sequence is engaging and Henry Flint isn't so much knocking it out the park as ... well whatever is 5768 times better than knocking it out the park. Good stuff.

Alas Movie Dredd and Reign of ... Damned ... yawn... well whatever it is are both very muh.

Nice text articles though help a 50 - 50 Meg float.

jacob g

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 21 April, 2016, 09:01:17 PM
A much needed up turn in the Prog. Lead mainly by the return of Lawless, which is indeed Lawsonless as Pettifer quite superbly takes control of the strip as Lwson remains missing. Its quite superb stuff and wonderfully realised by Phil Winslade.

In many placese I see people complaining about quality of Meg but Lawless alone is main reason I love current Meg.
margaritas ante porcos

Timothy

Lawless tells a great story in the absence - and perhaps after the death of - its lead character. I wonder if this could be managed in any other strip?

Nic_Freeman

Having picked up the Meg for the first time in a year or so for the Rico story I have to admit I was surprised at the overall quality of the issue. If it keeps up I'll keep buying once the Rico story concludes.

I can't believe no one's mentioned Dredd's helmet being found charred. Surely this means he can't have been teleported out?

My only gripe is one with both the Meg and the Prog, that there's a lack of exposition (o Thargnotes) in either. I have no idea who Kobourn is, or Rico for that matter. Like a lot of readers I've had my years away from 2000ad and it's bloody confusing when a character reappears with the same name (Rico) without any explanation. He turned up at the end of Chaos Day and I was utterly confused. Yeah, you can Google this stuff, but when Kobourn turns up there's not a single line explaining who he is, not great for a cross-over issue.

morpheas

Quote from: Nic_Freeman on 28 April, 2016, 02:28:19 PM
I can't believe no one's mentioned Dredd's helmet being found charred. Surely this means he can't have been teleported out?

It's a helmet yes, but is it Dredds? I don't know...

- Rico/Coburn (Dredd, sniff..) is great
- Lawless is what I was waiting for in 2016
- Realm of the damned... Ehrm... the art is good. Story does nothing for me.
- Dust-Dredd, good art, story Ok.

Mardroid

I stopped getting the Meg a while back,but not due to disliking the content.

Due to the current storyline cross-over, it seemed a good reason to pick it up again.

Unfortunately only 2 new stories are are starting this issue. It's a shame the cross over did not occur during the period of a full set of new stories. And the bagged comic is a set of stories I have  read in the Prog already.

That being said, I understand that lining these things up can be difficult. I considered getting the back issues to fill in the gap of the other stories, but out of those two stories only Dredd really interests me, and I'm sure that will be available in another form in future. (Actually the story matter of Realm of the Damned interests me too, but the contents of that first speech bubble of panel 1 put me off. Call me a prude if you like, but I do put up with a lot I'm uncomfortable with. That was just... a bit much though.)

Anyway, the first Judge Dredd strip was a promising start.

I thoroughly enjoyed Lawless. I missed the previous story as I was away when it was published, but I was not lost as far as this chapter is concerned. I really like these characters.

I didn't read the other two stories, as I'd rather catch up where Dredd is concerned, but I'm liking the art a lot on both.

I'd like to continue these stories but it may prove a bit expensive if I'm not reading all the strips. Thankfully, Dredd finishes this issue, so there will be a third story starting next week, and hopefully some unread stuff in the attached floppies soon.

Link Prime

Quote from: morpheas on 28 April, 2016, 03:01:14 PM
Quote from: Nic_Freeman on 28 April, 2016, 02:28:19 PM

It's a helmet yes, but is it Dredds? I don't know...

All indications are that it's Dredd's.
The other Judges that were aboard the destroyed H-Wagon were in fact listed at the start of this episode- all would have been kitted out in 'non-standard' Judge uniforms (pilot, medics etc).

As the inaugural pairing of the Carroll & Flint Droids on Dredd this was top notch stuff.
Anyone considering ignoring the Megazine threads of this story-line will be missing some primo JD.

Overall, a really enjoyable Meg for me. Some interesting articles, a nice tribute to Tony Luke, and I seem to be one of the few Earthlets enjoying all four of the current strips.

Although the floppy contained some Thriller gems (including the beloved Ghostship Mathematica), it will remain unread for now- just seems too soon since I last read them.

jacob g

Have only read Dredd so far but damn, Flint drawing Coburn is like a dream come true for someone who just recently has fallen in love with the character after 'Carlos Ezquerra Collection'.
margaritas ante porcos

Mardroid

Glad to see the first part of Dress:Dust is available. So I can catch up that way, without bothering about back issues of the Meg, and just continue from here while the  cross-over event is going on. And possibly longer...

Link Prime

Quote from: Mardroid on 04 May, 2016, 12:31:43 AM
and just continue from here while the  cross-over event is going on. And possibly longer...

You'll stay...wait and see.

According to the Forbidden Planet preview of Meg 373, 'Dust to Dust' will end after part 3.
I wonder what else is lined up for the Meg threads of this story.