Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: staticgirl on 12 November, 2015, 03:01:52 PMShe doesn't deserve to look forward to a penurious old age.

We all got it coming, kid.

But yeah, shitty situation. Speaking as one who gambled* his family's entire finances and lost the lot, and lived (lives) like a parasite off his long-suffering wife, I have no sympathy whatsoever for the arsehole, and hopefully no court will either. 

*Just because it was a business doesn't mean it wasn't gambling - any more than day trading isn't.

von Boom

Fortunately she's a well paid dentist. Unfortunately she struck out on her own last year and her income has been reduced while she builds her client base again. She'll come out of it in the end, but things will be tight.

What I'm really incensed about is the way he's been talking about her to her kids. They age 8, 8, 11, and 14. They've lived a pretty good life until now, but she'll probably have to cut things back for a while, and kids don't understand why they can't have what they used to have. It could really make things difficult for her if he continues to undermine her.

COMMANDO FORCES

Two pages of Dredd art just turned up today and they have a hole right through them!

The post office have managed to punch a hole right through the Do Not Bend envelope, which had added cardboard inside to add extra protection. I'm stunned that this has happened!

I bought these two pages for Sam as well, as it's the autism story by Mike and Paul.

Dandontdare

Of course they did - it said "do not bend" not "do not punch big holes through it", they're not mind-readers!

Greg M.

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 16 November, 2015, 01:46:24 PM
Two pages of Dredd art just turned up today and they have a hole right through them!

That is a horribly frustrating and infuriating situation, and you have my sympathy. I once had a couple of Ace Trucking Co. pages in the mail (from ming of this parish) that nearly suffered the same fate – great big hole punched in the packaging, which was foam-core board, and not exactly flimsy stuff. Art was visible through the hole, but a mylar sleeve provided a last vital defence. Still had a couple of rips in the side of the pages, but it could've been worse. Commiserations.

Banners

That's not a minor impediment—that's criminal damage.

TordelBack

Ahh John that's shite.  And to happen to pages from such a great story too. Just awful.

Hawkmumbler

I bought these two pages for Sam as well, as it's the autism story by Mike and Paul.

Putting the immediate disrespect to a pair of pages by Paul Marshal aside, that's a wonderful gesture CF!

Dandontdare

I have to work one Saturday a month and they've just decided to extend the hours, so instead of 8-1 (which meant I was finishing about the same time I'd be leaving the house anyway after a lie-in and leisurely fry up); it's now 8-4 which means I lose pretty much my whole Saturday. And as nobody knows yet that we are open later, there's hardly anything to do.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Tordelback on 16 November, 2015, 03:08:59 PM
Ahh John that's shite.  And to happen to pages from such a great story too. Just awful.

That's terrible.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tjm86

Quote from: Dandontdare on 21 November, 2015, 03:23:44 PM
...and as nobody knows yet that we are open later, there's hardly anything to do.

And as anyone will tell you, is a bloody dangerous situation to be in.  That is about the time some muppet of an officer / manager pipes up and says 'well, while it's quiet you can sweep out the hangar!' or some other mind bending useless job like sorting out cargo nets or suchlike.  At least when you're busy they're less likely to bother you.  (please note, I said 'less' rather than 'not'.)

Banners

SuperSurfer

I feel your pain, Banners.

I once said to a potential 'client': "I think you are better off just going to a printer."

I'm working on a project now where people think they can hand over any old scraps of paper and that they are usable for adverts. As much as I explain – if artwork exists on a computer pass that on. A crap printout on an inkjet printer of something someone knocked up on Microsfoft Word does not constitute giving me the artwork!

ming

Quote from: Banners on 02 December, 2015, 10:37:27 AM
Client input—before and after.

That's loony, that is.  The target-like 'Peaceful Schools' symbol, complete with exit-wound effect is particularly brain-grating.  The former is great and the kind of thing you'd get more work off the back of; the latter.... not so much.

TordelBack

Sheesh, you don't buy a dog and bark yourself, and that there is the reason! Console yourself with the fact that you can use that original crisp, clear design somewhere more deserving in the future.