Main Menu

Fanzine Archive Launched

Started by David Price, 26 October, 2015, 02:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Price

More zines uploaded, including 'Cygnus Alpha'.

Just a reminder that there is a 'Spotlight' page on the archive site, where I'm hoping to encourage people who were involved with fandom, to reminisce about the movement as a whole, and to talk about their personal history and experience.

If you fancy a platform for sharing your own memories, it would be lovely to hear what you have to say about that time. I won't edit your work, but I may be able to help out with example images. Please let me know if you're interested.

David Price

Today's upload:

HELLFIRE #3
By David and Paul Roach - 1983
Cover by David Roach

It was a real shame that there were only 4 issues of this zine. In the short time it was published, it became very well respected. It's also a shame that this is the only issue I have (Kindly supplied by David himself), but I'll keep searching for the others.
I remember that Sean Roberts and I were very jealous of the high quality dot matrix printer the guys were using, while we struggled on with a typewriter. It was lovely to get a shout-out in the editorial though.

There's a great interview with Dave here, from the Judgement exhibition, in Cardiff: http://www.judgementincardiff.info/inte ... ch-part-1/

David Price

Today's update:

Is this an example of the 'perfect' fanzine?

FA #94
Martin Skidmore - 1985/6
Cover by: John Ridgway

Interviews with Dave Sim and Marv Wolfman, a lively letters column, news and reviews, and Alan Moore explaining how to write comics. The series of Moore's 'How to's' would be collected some 15 years later in a book published by Avatar Press (Alan Moore's Writing for Comics - 2003) where Moore updates his advice and tells the reader to ignore some of the stuff he said earlier.
A really great zine, this.

David Price

Today's upload:

THE PANELOLOGIST #1 - 1975
Published by George Barnett

Influential and well respected News zine
May thanks to Peter for permission to archive these issues.

David Price

Today's upload:

THE PANELOLOGIST #3 - 1975
More news from 1975, were you a 'Marvelite'?

http://classicukcomicszines.weebly.com/panelologist.html

David Price

Today's upload:

THE PANELOLOGIST #5 - 1976

The fanzine review page is depressing - Only in the fact that it hints at just how little I've only scratched the surface so far.

That's counterbalanced by the photo page, which makes me 'slightly' less embarrassed about my own hair around the same time this was published ;)

Interesting to see that the Lee V Kirby fight was in full swing 40 years ago... Not much different now really...

http://classicukcomicszines.weebly.com/panelologist.html

David Price

Only one upload this weekend; but it's a good one :)

SHORT FUSE 1 - 1982
By Graham Cousins, Paul Duncan, John Jackson 
Covers by Ian Gibson & Alan Davis

check it out here:
http://classicukcomicszines.weebly.com/short-fuse.html

maryanddavid

sheridan

Quote from: David Price on 17 November, 2015, 10:39:07 AM
The series of Moore's 'How to's' would be collected some 15 years later in a book published by Avatar Press (Alan Moore's Writing for Comics - 2003) where Moore updates his advice and tells the reader to ignore some of the stuff he said earlier.
I'm interested in what he wanted people to ignore...

David Price

My thanks to Phil Elliott for kindly donating this zine to the archive.

Today's upload is:
SHORT FUSE 2 - 1983
By Graham Cousins, Paul Duncan, John Jackson
Covers by Bryan Talbot & Mike Higgs
classicukcomicszines.weebly.com/short-fuse.html

David Price

First upload of the New Year:

ASPECT #2 - 1970
Editor - Steve Moore
Cover by Jim Baikie

Wonderfully surreal 'Tales of Hyperborea' Strip by Steve Parkhouse and Barry Smth (with a great homage to Kirby on the 'Paradox Man' section). Great artwork from Steve Parkhouse and Alan Hunter, too.

classicukcomicszines.weebly.com/aspect--orpheus.html

richerthanyou

Great stuff. Since I missed out on most of this the first time 'round (what with not actually being alive at the time) it's great to have a chance to check these out. Kudos to you.
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

maryanddavid

Thanks David, a great upload. Why Steve Parkhouse is not more widely celebrated I do not know.  By any chance do you have BEM 36?

David Price

It's lovely to know that it's not just us oldsters that are enjoying seeing this stuff (again)  :D

BEM 36 is still eluding me I'm afraid. There were problems with the distribution, making it even harder to find than most zines. I'm always looking though.

David Price

Heck, listening to stuff about Bowie on the radio, and need to cheer myself up a bit...
Today's zine upload...

ARKEN SWORD #15
By Paul Duncan (1985)

A lovely cover, and a huge 20 page interview with Ian Gibson (his first I think). As well as his early and 2000 AD strips, Ian talks about working with Steve Parkhouse on stuff for ORPHEUS, which I'm guessing was for the second issue, that never saw the light of day.

http://classicukcomicszines.weebly.com/arken-sword.html