Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

There's always the HW III option too
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Pop Culture Bandit

Pop Culture Bandit Review - Prog 1986

• Great start to the presumably final act of this Judge Dredd mega-epic with the impeccable Colin MacNeil on art duties
  • Brink continues to go from strength to strength, thanks to Abnett and Culbard's masterful storytelling
  • Grey Area is heading towards a happy ending for the characters and a return to the series' status quo
  • Both Slaine and Black Shuck are beginning to warm up, after a lukewarm start

Hawkmumbler

Cover: Davis knocks out some stunning covers for Slaine, i'd hang this on my wall!
Dredd: Magnificent, simply superb. Particularly love the the dumbfounded look on the TC judges face when they get a beat down. Script and art is on point.
Brink: Also magnificent, a whole instalment being a small chase sequence? Oh theres going to be a hell of a twist next week i'm sure!
Slaine: Same old.
Black Shuck: Kind of interesting from a mythological POV but a lot of the men sugfer from a bad case of same face making it difficult for me to tell WHO everyone is supposed to be.
Grey Area: A fine, heartfelt conclusion to the AltGA arc, loved every moment of it. [spoiler]And IT WILL RETURN! YAAAY!!![/spoiler]

Oh, and Scarlet Traces next week? Hell yes! And The Order Book III on the way? HELL YESSSSS!!!!

Frank

If Brink wasn't such a compelling model of narrative economy, I'd think the feeling that the rest of the comic is running in slow motion was just temporary dissatisfaction with the weekly serialisation format.

Like Officer Resting Bitch Face, I'm actually on board with what's happening in Sláine. Presenting the mission to save Zana as analogous to rescuing the memory of his mother, and a counterpoint to all the psychodrama about his dad(s) and Slough Gododin's dad, falls just on the right side of building a theme, rather than laying it on with a trowel [1].

It's just that, like Judge Dredd: Reclamation, it feels like it's taking an age to tell a story where not very much happens. The repetition of the trope of Sláine literally being brought to his knees by the psychological weight of his past (and figuratively disarmed) has taken the shine off what I thought was a great way to end the first book of this story.

Some other clunky moments, like the line THAT WHICH CANNOT BE REMEMBERED CANNOT BE FORGOTTEN and the way Sinéad seems to know what Gododin is saying inside Sláine's heid, don't outweigh the genius, creepy touch of Gododin's wee, sharp, pointy teeth appearing in Sláine's eyes when he's twisting MacRoth's melon, man.

Embarrassingly, I've realised I'm now really interested in the doubt cast on Slaine's paternity, in a soap opera or Jeremy Kyle kind of way. The line-up of possible candidates reminded me of Pat's classic storytelling, cramming lots of explanatory captions onto a page (like Brink's orange boxes), while still giving the artist the opportunity to do what they do best.

[1] In the 1989 Judge Dredd annual, Mills says he based Sláine on a brickie he knew

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me