Main Menu

Usagi Yojimbo thread

Started by Hawkmumbler, 30 May, 2015, 07:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Skullmo on 02 June, 2015, 01:21:50 PM
Has Space Usagi ever been collected?
I have a trade of it, so yes. Amazon suggests it's had a couple of prints to date: 1998 and 2008. Might be erroneous, though, because, well, Amazon.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 02 June, 2015, 02:48:07 PM
Quote from: Skullmo on 02 June, 2015, 01:21:50 PM
Has Space Usagi ever been collected?
I have a trade of it, so yes. Amazon suggests it's had a couple of prints to date: 1998 and 2008. Might be erroneous, though, because, well, Amazon.

All the single issues are still available on the mirage website. I love Usagi Yojimbo. I have the entire series in floppies. It's charming fun, and we don't have many "simple" comics on the market nowadays.

IndigoPrime

Mm. The simplicity and elegance of the story is one of the reasons I rate it so highly. Yes, it's 'functional' at times, but it's also solid, has heart, and builds really nicely over time. It's not Lord Flashheart, but instead the faithful chum who's been with you over the years and pretty much never lets you down. (I'm also a big fan of the way in which it's one person's art — very few comics manage that for any length of time, and certainly only very few non-strip comics.)

Professor Bear

Is this the mutant rabbit from that Hero Turtles cartoon?  I'm surprised they gave a character like that his own spin-off comic.

IndigoPrime

He appears in the cartoon, yes, but your comment's a bit like saying: "Is that the cop from the rubbish Stallone movie? I'm surprised they gave a character like that his own comic." (Usagi isn't a spin-off from TMNT though—he first showed up in 1984, before getting is own series a few years later.)

Hawkmumbler

I do remember Usagi poping up in the 2004 (well, around then) TMNT cartoon. My first and until recently only exposure to the character. Apparently they have a history of crossing over. Well, better anthropomorphic Rabbits than Aardvarks.

Bolt-01

I've still got my TMNT Usagi figure, and I think I've still got most of the swords too.

Need to get me some more Usagi...

Dunk!

They did these rather natty statues a few years back.

"Trust we"

Hawkmumbler

Well i'm still bereft of my copy of the Fantographics omnibus. Should have been released a week ago.

IndigoPrime

Hawkmumbler

Completely unexpectedly, the aforementioned slip cover edition just landed here at Hawkfalls. Thought not quite as lovely as what i've seen of the HC edition from some time back, it's still a stunning package and will no doub't take me quite some time to read through. Wonderful stuff.

Though I am somewhat confused by the exclusion of Turtle Soup and Rabbit Stew, when the second and third TMNT team ups ARE included. I assume this was a deemed appropriate because Peter Laired illustrated the former, and Sakai the latter. A shame, and just snipps the books title as a complete collection of Fantagraphics run, but maybe it'll be in the DH books.

Hawkmumbler

Well that was completely wonderful. What an utterly delightful package and the perfect way to get yourself into the world of Usagi, sure it's a hefty volume and cost an arm and a leg but it's utterly worth every penny. Highly recomended to all who are intruiged by te world of Usagi Yojimbo.

High light was deffinetly Dragon Bellow Conspiracy, but that single tale about the ronin selling himself to a book keeper to make ends meet was incredibly moving.

IndigoPrime

\o/

Glad you enjoyed it. The only thing I dislike about Usagi Yojimbo is the wait for each new book. I don't think I've been disappointed by a volume yet—and that's a very rare thing in comics. (I'm a big Mignola universe nut, but some Hellboy has been wobbly, and I've gone off Abe Sapian, which now appears to be rambling.)

Hawkmumbler

Well I finally got back into my Usagi Yojimbo marathon with Saga vol.1, and it's quite superb comics, Sekai has crafted one of the best contemporary comic book universes.

Oh, and I think i've put off reading classic Mirage TMNT for long enough!

Skullmo

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 19 June, 2016, 08:25:37 PM
Well I finally got back into my Usagi Yojimbo marathon with Saga vol.1, and it's quite superb comics, Sekai has crafted one of the best contemporary comic book universes.

Oh, and I think i've put off reading classic Mirage TMNT for long enough!

The first arc is good up to return to new york, but my favourites are the mark martin and rick veitch versions of the turtles.
It's a joke. I was joking.