Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 22 July, 2016, 09:12:47 AM
The Martian (2015, dir. Ridley Scott) A very, very enjoyable film.

Agreed. Just caught this on bluray and I loved the problem solving (" let's science the shit out of it") aspect of the tale. A much better approach than "Castaway in space".

I know it's kinda tedious to mention special effects but they were gorgeous and flawless!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

radiator

Carol.

It was alright, but for my money nowhere near as good as all the accolades and awards made out. Some nice performances, but extraordinarily light on plot and incident for its two hour running time. Also, for a film about a relationship, to my mind the lead characters weren't particularly well fleshed out in the script. I didn't feel as if I knew them very well by the end. Rooney Mara's character in particular seemed a little vague, her backstory and life outside of the events of the film seems a total void. Perhaps that's the point? I guess?

Reminded me very much of A Simple Man - another lavish, somewhat overrated, 'fashiony' period film that seems to be far more in love with the trappings of its period setting - the props and setting dressing, but especially the clothes - than anything else.

I liked it, but out of last year's awards contenders I much preferred the relatively underrated Brooklyn - a more humble (if formulaic) film that I found far more entertaining and compelling.

3/5

dweezil2

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 21 August, 2016, 10:23:01 AM
Quote from: dweezil2 on 16 August, 2016, 07:22:23 PM
One of the very best Sci-Fi movies made and that soundtrack LP takes pride of place in my collection.

I also found out that No Man's Sky scorers and increasingly-interesting post-rockers 65daysofstatic did a Silent Running rescore a couple of years ago...

Thanks for that CFM!

I'll have to check that out!  :thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

The Enigmatic Dr X

Creed

Just when I said, "this could really do with the authentic Rocky music kicking in..."

...well, guess what happens for the start of the 12th and final round of the title fight. That's not a spoiler, BTW. This is a Rocky film, so (a) you know it has a 12th and final round of a title fight, and (b) it was so much better than it had any right to be.
Lock up your spoons!

Eric Plumrose

THE SHALLOWS.

OPEN HOOKJAWS meets GRAVITY. Quite enjoyed it, actually.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Fungus

The Imitation Game

Excellent as expected, tragic and evocative of the time, but more than that, threw up a couple of surprises too (probably not worth spoilering here so I won't). Great stuff.

Theblazeuk

Love & Friendship Can't remember if I recommended this after the cinema visit but watched it with the parents over the weekend. Just as funny the second time around - even if, like me, you can't stand period pieces and doubly so period romances, this is a great watch.

Hawkmumbler

A Bloodstained Butterfly (1971, dir. Ducci Tessari)

The latest in Arrow Videos line of HD remasters for the unsung giallo classics of the early 70's, Tessari's court room melodrama is a genuine forgotten gem of a movie. Mixing the cerebral, vibrant green colour pallet of Bava's latter day movies with court room intrigue that was popular on Italian TV at the time, and despite being a very much blood and scandal-less installment in the giallo pantheon, A Bloodstained Butterfly is none the less one of the most inventive of the period. Highly recommended.

Greg M.

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 24 August, 2016, 03:11:08 PM

Often when you review these Arrow remasters, I've got the giallo in question in some imported European or US format, but this is a new one on me, and I love the sound of it. Sold.

blackmocco

Just discovered a great little Irish ghost story called The Eclipse with Ciaran Hinds and Aidan Quinn. It takes it's time and it's a small story but it's got such a great atmosphere and the entire cast are exquisite. Hinds is just a rock in it.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Greg M. on 24 August, 2016, 06:53:19 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 24 August, 2016, 03:11:08 PM

Often when you review these Arrow remasters, I've got the giallo in question in some imported European or US format, but this is a new one on me, and I love the sound of it. Sold.
It's a cracking film, and it's easy to think in an alternative universe the giallo genre spent the next decade aping A Bloodstained Butterlfy rather than Bird the the Crystal Plumage.

Goaty

As Above, So Below

As it debut on Netflix yesterday, it was very enjoyable!

NapalmKev

The Sand, a group of American teens have a night time beach party, when they awake they are [spoiler]eaten by strange tendrils that are beneath the sand. There was also some bollocks about a hatched egg[/spoiler]. Utter Shit!

Night of the Living Deb. So-called comedy about a girl, called Deb, who has a Zombie problem. I gave up after half an hour because the acting was appalling!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Trent

Another one who just caught Bone Tomahawk. Thought it was terrific and the violence confined largely to the last half hour was gruesome but not ridiculously so. Loved the interplay between the 4 main characters and the dialogue was sensational. When a character talks of someone "proferring" a name I just smile like an idiot. The hoo-ha about the horror aspects have detracted somewhat from what is a fascinating, meticulously acted character piece.

Mardroid

The Vatican Files

A silly story about a girl who goes to hospital to get her cut finger seen to, and somehow gets possessed and produces eggs. [spoiler]Then she turns out to be the antichrist.[/spoiler] I kid you not.

The acting was actually pretty good, and the possessed girl was suitably creepy. And that bit when she [spoiler]broke her chains where you see her dislocated her shoulders made me wince,[/spoiler] but
I thought it kinda rubbish just the same, although not unenjoyable, if partly for the wrong reasons.

My favourite part:

Said egg production scene where the cardinal actually sticks his fingers in her mouth to pull out the first egg. Cos that's what you do when dealing with a person possessed by a vicious demon, of course.