Main Menu

Suicide Squad has (most of) its cast

Started by DaveGYNWA, 03 December, 2014, 09:01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert_ellis

I really enjoyed Suicide Squad - it's like the greatest fan film ever in a good way. Maybe I've seen too many remakes recently or impressive but dull sequels. This was crazy - in both a good & bad way. The plot was bonkers but Harley Quinns was  a stand out performance. And thanks god the over bearing seriousness of the previous DC films was absent. I agree that this seems like a failed mash up of Deadpool and Guardians but I loved it. Much like the Joker's missus it's inconsistent, messy, superficial - but it didn't feel like a doomed rerun of Nolan's Dark Knight. It's a guilty pleasure...

Goaty

I am back in Newcastle as freelance work. There is subtitled screening of Suicide Squad tonight at 8pm, as it could be first film to watch since The Force Awakens. Is it worth to watch or wait till DVD?

cheers!

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: Goaty on 15 August, 2016, 08:41:15 AM
I am back in Newcastle as freelance work. There is subtitled screening of Suicide Squad tonight at 8pm, as it could be first film to watch since The Force Awakens. Is it worth to watch or wait till DVD?

cheers!

Up to you, I don't think it's a must see in the theater or anything, but that depends on how much you're guessing you'd dig it. I thought it was just okay, cheesy and shallow but with some charm.

blackmocco

Quote from: Goaty on 15 August, 2016, 08:41:15 AM

cheers!

Neither. It's pretty lousy. Saw it last night with dialed down expectations and it still managed to be a complete stinker. It's a shame too because it's got all the game pieces, particularly the cast. Just the execution of the movie lets you down. i don't know what movie Ayers had before the studio got their hands on it, but it had to be more cohesive than the incoherent shite it currently is. Worst thing I've seen this summer by a long haul.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Mattofthespurs

Just got kicked out of this before it started.
Went with the missus and my Son who is twelve and his mate of the same age.
I appreciate that I was in the wrong but we did get past the ticket check and was ejected once the trailers started. Still, got the money back.
Again, I appreciate it's a 15 but I do find it rather indicative of the nanny state when both parents of the children are happy for them to see it.
I wouldn't have felt so bad if we had got turned away at the ticket barrier mind. That was quite annoying. Still, I'll go back on my own another day.
My own fault but I do find it ironic that my Son can easily watch, and has watched, 18 rated films, and played 18 rated games with my permission because I know he can handle it and it won't effect him in a negative fashion but some young 20 something assistant manager (who is doing his job after all) can make that decision. I don't blame him in the slightest, as mentioned he is doing what he is paid to do, it's my own fault for thinking I could make a parenting decision and get away with it. Silly me.
He'll have to wait for the blu ray or for it to come on SKY.
So nobody wins in the end.

Keef Monkey

That sounds really annoying! Saying that, when they do let parents take those decisions into their own hands they get grief for it. Apparently parents taking under-12s to 12A movies and then giving the cinema hassle for it not being suitable for them is very much a thing. When the films aren't suitable for very young kids the parents blame the cinemas and put in complaints, even though it was their own choice to take them in. Not saying you'd be one of those parents (it seems very silly behaviour) but those might be the situations they're trying to avoid!

Mattofthespurs

Absolutely, I fully understand their stance, annoying as it is.

Theblazeuk

Given there's no such thing as an usher or even a projectionist, how did that even happen? Me doth suspect a busybody in the audience, oblivious to the irony of watching Suicide Squad and reporting a 12 year old.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 17 August, 2016, 04:46:34 PM
Given there's no such thing as an usher or even a projectionist, how did that even happen? Me doth suspect a busybody in the audience, oblivious to the irony of watching Suicide Squad and reporting a 12 year old.

I agree. Manager person, when asked the same question, told me he had seen us walking in which smelt strangely of bullshit to me because he then must have waited 15 minutes before confronting us.

sheridan

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 17 August, 2016, 02:01:01 PM
That sounds really annoying! Saying that, when they do let parents take those decisions into their own hands they get grief for it. Apparently parents taking under-12s to 12A movies and then giving the cinema hassle for it not being suitable for them is very much a thing. When the films aren't suitable for very young kids the parents blame the cinemas and put in complaints, even though it was their own choice to take them in. Not saying you'd be one of those parents (it seems very silly behaviour) but those might be the situations they're trying to avoid!
What's the legal situation?  Is it the same raft of laws which affects selling glue, knives, tobacco and alcohol to whatever age each of those is set at, or is it more informal?

Tiplodocus

The Tips household all mostly enjoyed that.  It's a bit of a mess but entertaining. Flagg was a bit wet for my liking but Will Smith and Margot Robbie were both great fun (would have been a different film without them).  Some nice design work with the monsters and the special effects and cinematogrophy  meant it pulled off the trick of being dark AND colourful!

Not entirely sure of the point of Leto's Joker. The blinged up original gangsta is a brave choice (I suppose if they had been around in the forties, that's possibly what he would have started out as) but didn't work for me. And he had zero bearing on the plot.

But pretty good fun. I generally think it's only getting a kicking because a lot of internetters love to hate on something. And while it is in no way as good as your better (Marvel) movies, I'd still happilly watch that again.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Dandontdare

well I saw this at the weekend and can only echo what's already been said - there are lots of good scenes, the performances are good (paticularly Margot Robbie)  but the storyline sucks and the changes in tone are jarring -[spoiler]we jump from the 'meet the characters' section to having Flagg and the monobrowed one in the sewers with the big baddy already destroying the city, which felt at the time like the film had skipped a scene, but later on the the lead-up to this scene is explained pointlessly in flashback.

Also, sandwiched between the big street fight and the final showdown, we get the scene in the bar in which we hear about Diablo incinerating his family, which brings all the momentum grinding to a halt and is a real buzzkill. And you can't fill in plot holes simply by having somebody mention it (eg when Will smith comments to Waller at the end "Damn, how are you still alive?" - which is exactly what I was thinking[/spoiler]

Other random thoughts:
The actual threat in the movie felt very contrived and cliched - ancient thingy released, big superweapon nearing completion, pointless mysterious swirling stuff in the sky, ho hum
I agree that the soundtrack of hits is obtrusive and unimaginative.
I thought Jared Leto's Joker was pretty good, can't see why he's getting such a bad press
What's up with Cara's jiggy little spooky dance? Looks like she needs the loo.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: sheridan on 21 August, 2016, 08:34:47 PM
What's the legal situation?  Is it the same raft of laws which affects selling glue, knives, tobacco and alcohol to whatever age each of those is set at, or is it more informal?

"It is illegal to supply a VHS, DVD, Blu-ray Disc, UMD, video game or film tickets with an 18 certificate to anyone under that age"

And so on for the various age ratings. And in 2009 the Tories did the same for PEGI, the Videogame/software rating. Glad I got my hands on things long before these dark days of Mary Whitehouse Eternal.

NapalmKev

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 23 August, 2016, 10:13:19 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 21 August, 2016, 08:34:47 PM

"It is illegal to supply a VHS, DVD, Blu-ray Disc, UMD, video game or film tickets with an 18 certificate to anyone under that age"

And so on for the various age ratings. And in 2009 the Tories did the same for PEGI, the Videogame/software rating. Glad I got my hands on things long before these dark days of Mary Whitehouse Eternal.

I never quite understood how Mary Whitehouse and her ilk were able to watch something without being corrupted, but the rest of us would lose control If we watched the same thing. Not to speak too ill about the dead but Mary Whitehouse was a massive Twat!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"