Main Menu

Star Trek Beyond (2016)

Started by Goaty, 14 December, 2015, 04:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Not what I expect.
Simon Pegg as one of writers? [spoiler]Mmm what to do with 3rd film? Let them blow up Enterprise and fight it at on the planet? Is that same as 3rd film...?[/spoiler]

Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvR4eUjkag8

von Boom

Sigh. More bra-Trek. If Kirk and Spock don't call each other bra and high-five I'll be shocked.

This gets a third film and no Dredd sequel?! Life is truly unfair sometimes.

blackmocco

Seeing as the last one made me reassess my relationship with Star Trek V, I figured there's nothing they could do to make this one worse. And then they did. Good lord. Unbelievable.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Professor Bear

I can see no way this can be as bad as the last one, but they're boxing clever by drawing attention to the director being an old hand from the Fast & the Furious franchise, because they're basically saying "Yeah we know this looks abominably stupid, but it's totally deliberate this time."

JOE SOAP

"We want this one to be more like Guardians of the Galaxy."

von Boom

Funny. I want this one to be more like Star Trek.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: von Boom on 14 December, 2015, 05:51:33 PM
Funny. I want this one to be more like Star Trek.

Even the Next Gen movies couldn't manage that.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

CrazyFoxMachine

:o

Why are they even bothering to call this Star Trek?!

TordelBack

What's truly tragic is going back to the same Beasties music as the original teaser trailer for ST 2009.  They could just have quietly said 'we have no idea what to do with this franchise at this point' and left it at that. But no, they decided to go with a shitty FX shot of Simon Pegg hanging off a CGI cliff, and hammer us over the head with the fact. Suddenly I'm feeling nostalgic for ST:Insurrection.

Is it so bloody hard to make Star Trek? Roddenberry seemed to manage fine with some face paint and a guy under a blanket. Instead we have motorbike chases and computer game acrobatics. 

blackmocco

"See, what we really want is Guardians Of The Galaxy. And Fast and Furious. Well, just their box-office takings, really. Hmm. Now, call me crazy but... is there any way we could do BOTH in one movie...? Wait, we own Star Trek? This'll be PERFECT!!"

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

blackmocco

Quote from: Tordelback on 14 December, 2015, 08:03:11 PM
What's truly tragic is going back to the same Beasties music as the original teaser trailer for ST 2009.  They could just have quietly said 'we have no idea what to do with this franchise at this point' and left it at that. But no, they decided to go with a shitty FX shot of Simon Pegg hanging off a CGI cliff, and hammer us over the head with the fact. Suddenly I'm feeling nostalgic for ST:Insurrection.

Feeling nostalgic for ST V...

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

IAMTHESYSTEM

Star Trek:Nemesis was supposed to be an 'Action Film.' It effectively killed the franchise for a while and though I am quite intrigued by this one as it is part written by Simon Pegg, a toothy fan it's not, as Von Boom mentioned really Star Trek anymore. It's an action movie with the Star Trek logo attached.

Is Kirk's voice broken ? Sounds sort of throaty. 
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

TordelBack

Quote from: blackmocco on 14 December, 2015, 08:08:27 PM
Feeling nostalgic for ST V...

Final Frontier is way better than Insurrection... Well, if you only watch the first 10 minutes and the last 15 anyway. The rest is crap, of course, even the bits with David Warner. But all of Insurrection is crap. Literally every shot.

Professor Bear

All the Trek movies - with the exception of the first - have been action-adventure movies, so I don't mind them ramping up the action quota.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Tordelback on 14 December, 2015, 08:03:11 PM
What's truly tragic is going back to the same Beasties music as the original teaser trailer for ST 2009. 

Have you heard the truly magnificent fan theory about the Beatie Boys inclusion in the reboot.

Their 1998 hit, Intergalactic, contains the line:

"...like a pinch from to the neck from Mister Spock"

Therefore, in the ST universe, The Beastie boys are either time travellers or members of the Q continuum.

'sobvious when you think about it.
You may quote me on that.