Main Menu

STAR TREK returns to TV...

Started by blackmocco, 09 February, 2016, 07:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackmocco

Nerdist Writers Podcast features an ep with Fuller. Mostly about Hannibal but it touches upon Fuller's whole career, and Trek in particular. He's pretty scathing about his time on Voyager. Horrible atmosphere in the writers' room, lazy writing staff with no spark for the show itself, and a frustrating limit on ideas and concepts. Sums up the show itself, pretty much.

Here's the link anyway. It's a great listen anyway.

http://nerdist.com/nerdist-writers-panel-129-bryan-fuller/
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

blackmocco

Say goodbye to the knuckle-dragging, lowest-common-denominator, motorcycle stunts in the 23rd century, Uhura-is-somehow-more-important-than-McCoy JJ-Trekverse, thank fuck. New show will indeed be set in the classic timeline, most likely following the events of Undiscovered Country but before the introduction of Picard, Worf and the Enterprise-D.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/04/13/the-new-star-trek-tv-show-will-be-set-before-the-next-generation

What's really interesting are the rumors suggesting the new show will be an anthology series a la Fargo or American Horror Story. Each season to be set in a different era with a completely different cast telling a standalone arc.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

von Boom

Well thank grud. If only the rest of the world would ignore 'bratrek.

I was hoping for something further past Voyager, but an anthology could be good.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: blackmocco on 14 April, 2016, 04:29:24 PM
Say goodbye to the knuckle-dragging, lowest-common-denominator, motorcycle stunts in the 23rd century, Uhura-is-somehow-more-important-than-McCoy JJ-Trekverse

Which would be a shame as those movies are good. Indeed, I liked the focus on Uhura, which worked dramatically and was also true to the original, inclusive spirit of Star Trek.

Professor Bear

Uhura as a central focus could work if Saldana wasn't such a terrible actor.
The rebooted Trek is the exact opposite of inclusive: Uhura is only there to be ogled, have her boobs felt, and then become Spock's girlfriend in the first movie - and the first movie was the good one.

Also check out the deleted scenes in which Kirk can't tell people of a different color apart, and women mean so little to him that he doesn't even register when one is dead.

O Lucky Stevie!

/\/\/\

Which is precisely the reason why Stevie decided to stick with the Alan Dean Foster novelizations & not bother with any more of the Nu Trek movies themselves.

At least ADF can tell a coherent narrative. Against all odds he somehow (ahem) transforms the 2009 trainwreck into The Younger Brother of Heinlein's Starman Jones. & it works.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

blackmocco

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 19 April, 2016, 04:51:20 AM
/\/\/\

Which is precisely the reason why Stevie decided to stick with the Alan Dean Foster novelizations & not bother with any more of the Nu Trek movies themselves.

At least ADF can tell a coherent narrative. Against all odds he somehow (ahem) transforms the 2009 trainwreck into The Younger Brother of Heinlein's Starman Jones. & it works.

Hmm. Now I'm vaguely intrigued. Might have to check these out.

For what it's worth, I've nothing against the likes of Trek being rebooted as long as there's some semblance of respect and intelligence in there somewhere. The first movie was pretty daft but I enjoyed it. STID shit the bed on the honeymoon. Dreadful. Even as an acronym it resembles something you need to get burned off your genitals, never to be spoken of again. Clearly Paramount are starting to feel the same seeing as I had quite literally forgotten there's another one of these coming out in July until the Beastie Boys/motorcycle stunt trailer played before Deadpool.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

Devons Daddy

heard that Michael Dorn has confirmed he is working on a separate project Capt Worf, official at this stage but not in production as the current show is said to be.

I will be purchasing the subscription iTunes season pass for this, without doubt though.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Professor Bear

Michael Dorn has been pushing a Captain Worf show for years, in the same way George Takai pushed for years for a Captain Sulu show.
/puts on Trek nerd hat:
Also, it was established in season 6 episode 16 that Worf will never captain a starship.

TordelBack

Because he gets an official reprimand for abandoning a mission in order to save his wife?  Seems a tad harsh.

I'd say the other Season 6 Episode 16 is more damning - he lies in his report to Picard.

Link Prime

I liked his stint as the 1st Officer on The Rotarran.

The Legendary Shark

Captains seem to lie quite a lot ("I'm sorry, your signal's breaking up, Starfleet..."), so Worf's false report seems to make him a shoe-in for captaincy and eventual admiralship.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Professor Wolfgang Von Bear on 20 April, 2016, 10:58:46 AM
Michael Dorn has been pushing a Captain Worf show for years, in the same way George Takai pushed for years for a Captain Sulu show.

I imagine ... like in all things, Worf will be denied his desires

JPMaybe

Quote from: blackmocco on 14 April, 2016, 04:29:24 PM
New show will indeed be set in the classic timeline, most likely following the events of Undiscovered Country but before the introduction of Picard, Worf and the Enterprise-D.

This possibility is what most gets my nerd-boner going.  If they can replicate some of the feel of the Nic Meyer films, I'm in.  Ideally with the optimistic yet grounded utopianism of ToS, without the characters spouting propaganda like dead-eyed apparatchiks at every opportunity as in tNG onwards.  Plus Klingons with some nuance instead of the tNG shouty halfwits.
Quote from: Butch on 17 January, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day...Judge Death is his real name.
-Butch on Judge Death's powers of helmet generation

The Legendary Shark

For me, some of the best TNG episodes involved the Klingons. Their code of honour, their political machinations, their culture. I think TNG made the Klingons more interesting than TOS, which generally portrayed them as simple bullies.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]