Main Menu

STAR TREK returns to TV...

Started by blackmocco, 09 February, 2016, 07:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

I dunno about nuance - seems to me the really good Klingon episodes are the ones where they're always seconds away from stabbing someone.  There are episodes of DS9 where Worf is getting along great with another Klingon but you still know someone's getting kebabbed in the next 40 minutes because the wonky-foreheaded nutters can't help themselves, and I like this version of the Klingons because it's so single-mindedly one-note that it avoids the pitfalls of TNG or Voyager trying to paint them as a noble warrior culture and just making them boring.
They're just more fun when they're violent racist space cunts.

Dandontdare

I always liked Gowron hamming it up with his eyes almost popping out of his head, but I did get bored with Worf's endless po-faced speeches about honour.

Worf had one of my favourite lines though when Q put them all in a Robin Hood story: "I am NOT a merry man!"

Tiplodocus

His first reaction to prune juice;  "This is a warrior's  drink!".
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Legendary Shark

Indeed, Worf wasn't such a good character, really. It was pretty well established by the end that he wasn't your typical Klingon, he was too uptight - the Victor Meldrew of the Empire. If he'd been a hard-drinking, brawling, loud, fuck-you-and-the-shuttle-you-rode-in-on kind of character he'd have been aces. But he wasn't, he was just dull and grumpy. They did try to fix that with Torres in Voyager but failed - giving us nothing more than a grumpy teenager type.

Gowron was, indeed, brilliant. Worf should've been more like him.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Link Prime

TordelBack

Yeah, O'Reilly did really amazing things with those eyes. He must have been getting through a bottle of Optrex an hour during shooting.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Goaty

Professor Bear

In the podcast interview with Bryan Fuller that Blackmocco links to, Fuller spends a great deal of it shitting all over CBS and mocking them for interfering with shows and ruining even the most promising of material.  He doesn't even explain this at first, he just mentions the idea of making a show at the network in passing and the audience begins tittering at the notion.

Michael Knight

about bleedin time for a glorious tv return! Man I long for the days when one night it star trek tos, Next night tng, next night ds9 and another voyager! Didn't actually mind paying license fee then!  :)

blackmocco

Quote from: Professor Bear on 19 May, 2016, 02:00:13 PM
In the podcast interview with Bryan Fuller that Blackmocco links to, Fuller spends a great deal of it shitting all over CBS and mocking them for interfering with shows and ruining even the most promising of material.  He doesn't even explain this at first, he just mentions the idea of making a show at the network in passing and the audience begins tittering at the notion.

Perhaps the one saving grace here is that the CBS TV channel won't be airing this over here. They're launching the show via their new streaming network. I was surprised he jumped so readily into CBS' arms as well after that interview but what the hell... it IS a new Star Trek show. There had to be something to entice him to do this.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Goaty

blackmocco

Well. Lots of details released today regarding the new show:

- set 10 years before Kirk's original five-year mission. So yes, another prequel.
- main lead will be a non-white female (no casting decided yet) and after six series, main lead won't be a captain.
- 13 episodes telling one story arc.
- story will center around an event referred to (but never shown) from TOS. Still trying to figure that one out.
- more aliens than usual on the crew. Some familiar, some not. Robots too. Style, fx and designs will reimagine and update established designs to reflect 2016.

More details here: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/10/star-trek-tv-series

"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com