Main Menu

STAR TREK returns to TV...

Started by blackmocco, 09 February, 2016, 07:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Manipulative Mycenaean warlord?  That's more a Romulan thing! There was a USS Agamemnon at one stage, of course.  One of Data's fleet in Redemption, maybe?

Starfleet tradition of US Navy, NASA Spacecraft and occasional scientists seems worth continuing. 

Frank

IAMTHESYSTEM

Having watched the vid the ship looks a bit naff to me. It's almost a cross between an original series   Klingon cruiser and the USS enterprise. I thought it was a fan film version when I first saw it. The new series isn't episodic but a story arc about a female Commander and their going to have more gay people and robots for diversity. If they have a gay robot they'll save some money but diversity aside this sounds very different from previous series and I'll certainly give it a watch when it finally comes to terrestrial TV.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Goaty

Well I realise in most of Star Trek series and films, there were many peace treaty, as with Klington, Romanuan etc after many wars, so hope this series show it?

TordelBack

Quote from: Butch on 12 August, 2016, 07:09:20 AM

Her sister ships are the USS Fox News and the Cartoon Network:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Discovery_(1774)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Discovery_(1874)

I imagine we're referencing the first of the space shuttles to live to retirement: fittingly it replaced poor old Enterprise as the Smithsonian's display shuttle.

Wikipedia reveals many other pertinent Starfleety claims to fame:  first female shuttle pilot, launched Hubble, John Glenn's return to space, first US Senator in space, first Russian on a shuttle, first shuttle docking with ISS, most missions of any spacecraft (39) and over a year spent in space.

A worthy name.

blackmocco

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 12 August, 2016, 10:47:54 AM
Having watched the vid the ship looks a bit naff to me. It's almost a cross between an original series   Klingon cruiser and the USS enterprise.

I have a feeling there's going to be a reason for that...

(The Klingon bit. Not the naff bit.)
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

blackmocco

Nope. And I think with that goes the big hope of this being decent, methinks. Maybe the CBS hoodoo struck Fuller after all. Damn shame.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

Dreddzilla

I'd much rather see a Trek series post Destruction of Romulus. Think that would be more interesting to watch.

Trent

Guessing CBS wanted a 'crime of the week' and were looking for ways to cross over to their NCIS franchise.
If you read the article on their approach to The Walking Dead this really isn't too far fetched.

The Legendary Shark

CSI: Starfleet.

Simply Come Trekking.

Vulcan's Got Talent.

The NX Factor.

Federation Street.

TNG Friday.

The Only Way is SFX.

My Big Fat Klingon Shredding.

The possibilities are, unfortunately, endless.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

IAMTHESYSTEM

Star Trek is an optimistic show built on the belief of a better future for humanity. Is that really true at this moment in time? A lot of TV shows I've seen or read about appear very dark, The Walking Dead, The Fall even GoT, a fantasy is really about the struggle for power and what you are prepared to do for it. I can't help feeling that ST optimism is in very, very short supply and this might prove detrimental to this series. Star Trek: Enterprise I believe suffered this fate due in part to America's involvement in the War on Terror and the invasion of Iraq. Peace with Aliens was definitely not on the agenda and with Trump possibly gunning for the Whitehouse [pun intended] I suspect peaceful co existence might prove equally elusive for a very divided America. 
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

blackmocco

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 28 October, 2016, 03:33:03 PM
Star Trek is an optimistic show built on the belief of a better future for humanity. Is that really true at this moment in time? A lot of TV shows I've seen or read about appear very dark, The Walking Dead, The Fall even GoT, a fantasy is really about the struggle for power and what you are prepared to do for it. I can't help feeling that ST optimism is in very, very short supply and this might prove detrimental to this series. Star Trek: Enterprise I believe suffered this fate due in part to America's involvement in the War on Terror and the invasion of Iraq. Peace with Aliens was definitely not on the agenda and with Trump possibly gunning for the Whitehouse [pun intended] I suspect peaceful co existence might prove equally elusive for a very divided America. 

That's EXACTLY why it will work, if done properly. The original show hit a vein in the late 60's with a jaded public for the very same reasons. A chance to put those divisions aside for 45 minutes a week and see a future where humanity has transcended everything (except spreading American democracy...!) in the 10 O'Clock News.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

JPMaybe

Quote from: Professor Bear on 25 April, 2016, 06:52:02 PM
I dunno about nuance - seems to me the really good Klingon episodes are the ones where they're always seconds away from stabbing someone.  There are episodes of DS9 where Worf is getting along great with another Klingon but you still know someone's getting kebabbed in the next 40 minutes because the wonky-foreheaded nutters can't help themselves, and I like this version of the Klingons because it's so single-mindedly one-note that it avoids the pitfalls of TNG or Voyager trying to paint them as a noble warrior culture and just making them boring.
They're just more fun when they're violent racist space cunts.

Really late reply I realise, but I fucking hate that- almost everything about TNG-onwards Klingons annoys me, and I can't really see the difference with their DS9 incarnation.  TUC showed some actual maturity in how they were written- they were clearly martial and alien, but were capable of civilised conversation without  yammering about honour and glory, didn't solve political disputes with knife fights.  They also showed some diversity in appearance and dress, contra the stultifying uniformity in appearance (long hair, fangs, body armour) and mannerisms of mid-to-late TNG onwards.  Basically I hate them being space vikings transposed in toto to a technological SF setting, regardless of how ill a fit that is.
Quote from: Butch on 17 January, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day...Judge Death is his real name.
-Butch on Judge Death's powers of helmet generation

The Legendary Shark

I always saw the Klingons as an interpretation of humanity's own violent, might-is-right side. I enjoyed the TNG klingons because of this.

I also agree that the world needs an optimistic Trek.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]