Main Menu

Prog 1967 : HARD REBOOT!

Started by Buttonman, 06 February, 2016, 11:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacqusie

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 06 February, 2016, 12:41:37 PM

Patrick Goddard. Colours by Dylan Teague

I've finally figured out what is actually so 'offesive in the order' and that's putting the font in a crappy slanty angle to go along with the tipping carrage and then putting italics in it to boot!

Arrghh my OCD can't take this run of GCSE design a kit cover lettering much more!

:crazy:

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Jacqusie on 08 February, 2016, 12:33:00 AM
I've finally figured out what is actually so 'offesive in the order' and that's putting the font in a crappy slanty angle to go along with the tipping carrage and then putting italics in it to boot!

Arrghh my OCD can't take this run of GCSE design a kit cover lettering much more!
You might not like it but there is nothing "GCSE" about that lettering (or OCD).

Why not knock up your own version then, to show how it should be done?

zombieman

I'm not sure what it is, but I'm really not enjoying The Order at the moment. The first story was great, but this one feels too....unfocused? Also, ABC Warriors has just never grabbed me.

Other than that, fantastic stuff. Really enjoying Ghosts.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 08 February, 2016, 05:15:36 AM
You might not like it but there is nothing "GCSE" about that lettering (or OCD).

I'm afraid my OCD is very much triggered by the fact that the two slanted text elements have non-parallel baselines.

Cheers

Jim

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

James Stacey

I'm not a designer but I can see in the last few prog and meg covers what a great job PyeParr did.

Proudhuff

That cover text does seem to be a bit, well, unprofessional shall we say?

Damage Report: is running late I think...

Dredd: Have to disagree with Buttonman, no reason except its him.

Kingdom:  Great fun, looks like Whet upon whet!

Ro-Busters:  my interest in the story is too weak to wane.

The Order:  Enjoying this except that Ronald MacDonald hair wigs me out!

Strontium Dog:  reads like something from twenty/thirty years ago, not a bad thing, just kinda outa time.

Thanks Ghost :wave:
DDT did a job on me

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 February, 2016, 12:39:30 PM

I'm afraid my OCD is very much triggered by the fact that the two slanted text elements have non-parallel baselines.

Cheers

Jim

Good christ! I thought their was something funny about the text but now I can't unsee it! :-\

robert_ellis

Great issue - 4 strong strips & Dredd was stunning. I like the more tricksy type stuff - I hope 2000ad keeps a bit of experimentation on the cover. Mark Sexton is just a great artist. Dredd's assessment of DeMarco was oddly touching!

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: Proudhuff on 09 February, 2016, 06:15:32 PM
Thanks Ghost :wave:

Tsk!  He's at it again!  He's stealin' ma stuffs! :'(  I'm Telling Tharg on you! :p
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Jacqusie

Quote from: Jacqusie on 08 February, 2016, 12:33:00 AM

I have OCD & I have trouble with Italic text being whacked into lines at an angle... lines which Jim points out are not perpendicular to the other text...

I'm not quite sure how you can say I don't have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, as it's news to me...

Why not knock up your own version then, to show how it should be done?
[/quote]

SuperSurfer

From the admittedly very little I know about OCD – hardly anything, I saw a documentary on it recently: BBC Horizon OCD: A Monster in my Mind – not liking a design, or being particular about a sense of order (ie book spines not matching) is not OCD. Someone has uploaded a video of the BBC programme online but I won't link to it as it's dodgy. Made for interesting viewing as the term is bandied about a lot nowadays. If anyone reading this has been diagnosed with OCD and I am talking nonsense – I apologise. I've come into contact with someone who I believe has the condition. It causes upset not just for the person concerned but for family, so I'm not trying to make light of it. And that's too much detail on that for a prog review thread.

Onto the design. I'm not saying I like the cover or if that's the best typographical treatment. Some of the secondary text is lacking in boldness on recent prog covers for my eye. I do like the way the reins cover up the main text. The designer(s) seem to be tackling integrating text into the cover illustrations using a different style to that of the previous design droid. I'm not saying they are always pulling it off but it's an interesting approach. Perhaps it's easier and safer to plaster the text over the illustrations and no one would say a word.

I don't know why the two sets of text aren't parallel. Perhaps the designer(s) tried that and it didn't sit right. Perhaps it was an oversight. But I don't think that's a deal breaker for the layout. And I just don't think its on to say the design is unprofessional or GCSE standard because it isn't. If that was the case, Rebellion might as well take on school leavers. Would be much cheaper and they could invest their saving into more colour comic strips and less crappy black and white (that last bit is a joke). 

Mr Parr btw was exceptionally good.

And I've figured out why I don't like the illustration: I can't ride a horse.

Darren Stephens

The cover text didn't bother me at all. Don't see what the fuss is about! Also, I'm really enjoying this run of ABCs. Much prefer Langley's black and white line art, especially for strip work.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 10 February, 2016, 04:25:01 AM
I don't know why the two sets of text aren't parallel. Perhaps the designer(s) tried that and it didn't sit right. Perhaps it was an oversight. But I don't think that's a deal breaker for the layout.

I'll be honest, I'm sorry I even mentioned it. It's not like it spoiled my enjoyment of a perfectly fine prog — I only looked at long enough to spot the problem because other people mentioned the design which, other than the odd mis-match of angles, I have no problem with.

(It's not as if I've never let something go to print because I meant to go back and change it but the deadline overtook me, or never been so enamoured with a design concept that I've let it blind me to the fact that the execution leaves something to be desired...)

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dark Jimbo

Not the best of covers, but I can't say the misaligned text bothered me! I feel sorry for the poor design droid if he ever stumble across this thread.

A good solid episode of Dredd and it's been a painfully long time since Demarco returned to Dredd proper as a supporting character (we don't count the dollybird who appeared in Trifecta, do we?) This being a Carroll script, the real success or failure of this strip is all going to hinge on next week's climax. It's definately been one of his better efforts so far, not least in part to that incredible artwork!

Kingdom feels a bit familiar now - we've been here before with the Bug King and a horde of Them beseiging a group of Aux. Continues to look gorgeous, though.

This ABC Warriors outing has been huge fun - both creators are obviously enjoying themselves no end. Hopefully we're about to step beyond the original ending of Ro-Busters (where Ro-Jaws and Hammerstein walked off into the sunset) to find out a bit more about what happened to them next.

I'm really enjoying the oblique, non-linear storytelling approach of The Order. We're being given all the who/what/where info we need but in an unusual, roundabout way. I'm also hoping that a third series is on the cards for the same set of characters (rather than skipping forward in time again); what's not to love about a displaced Aztec Queen striding angrily about Elizabethan London in hot pink leather catsuit...? Much like the first series I have no real idea where this is going and love that! A strip that I'll be re-reading in one go at the end, not because I got lost or forgot too much, but simply because I know I'll pick up on so much that I missed the first time through!

Strontium Dog is trundling a bit, but it's never less than enjoyable.
@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

Thought Ro-Busters was great fun, framing familiar events in light of the current story very neatly, with the definite promise of a resolution for that cliffhanger, which is surely up there with Blackhawk and Dan Dare in the record for leaving us hanging.  Seems Pat can't really win here though - he's caught between Squaxx who complain because they're expected to remember what happened last week, and Squaxx who complain because he's reprising events from over 35 years ago before moving forward.  We're a tough room sometimes.