Main Menu

Prog 1969: Klegg Nicked?

Started by Ghost MacRoth, 20 February, 2016, 01:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost MacRoth

Cover:  Lovely as always by Mr Ronald.

Droid Life: I wonder what their real job is?  Surely they can't be getting paid for this??

Dredd:  After Sexton's glorious art in the last few weeks, D'Israeli's stuff is just that much harder to  take.  Never been a fan of his style (I know others are, and that's fine, horses for courses and all that) and on Dredd, it's even less welcome than usual for me.  Not sure I'm digging the scripting either....Dredd either being funny, or contemplating suicide....erm...no.  And the 'I want to hurt you' muttered under the breath?  No.  He'd either say it, or say nothing, otherwise it's a involuntary loss of control, which we know Dredd isn't really prone to.  I guess there'll be a couple weeks of this....but I do hope it's a short run.

Kingdom: Continues to look great, and roll along in it's previous style....but wait......are those masters thinking about a weapon that'd wipe out them....AND the aux on earth?  Oooh ya bastards ye!

ABC: Still finding the art worthwhile, but the story is more muddy now than ever, chucking in shit I'd have to go dig out old progs to fully get.  It's not worth the effort, so I'll just go with the art on this one.

The Order:   Bonkers.

Strontium Dog:  It's very much like a tale of old.  Lately there's not too many tales that stretch beyong 4-6 weeks, so it's nice to see a tale take it's time, and indulge in a longer run.  Art and tale still doing the business for me. ;)
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Tjm86

I'm in the "I like D'Israeli" camp but I can appreciate how it can jar.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who found aspects of the characterisation of Dredd 'off'.  This is a man who has pushed himself further than sanity (think I'm quoting Judgement Day there).  Put a gun in his mouth?  No, sorry, don't think so.  A petulant "I hate you"?  Strikes me as seriously out of character.  On the other hand there are a few amusing touches in the set up for this tale but I agree with MacRoth here, not augering well.

Zenith 666

Love Mr Booker.I think his works exceptional and he's welcome to do any character he wants as long as both he and Mr Edginton get the next Book of Stickleback ready.Cant be leaving people with that kind of a Cliffhanger and make them wait years for answers.

sheridan

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 20 February, 2016, 02:39:14 PMSome Kleggy Dredd posted from the floor of the LSCC at the Excel
On the floor already?  What time did you start drinking?  Well, if you can get yourself stood up again I'll see you in the Fox in an hour or two ;-)

ZenArcade

You two enjoy, and keep an eye out for a copy of City of Dredd for me. Great to see Alex continue his exceptional run of covers. This is right up there with his Ulysses Sweet and Nerve Centre front pages. Hope he graces the inside oages very soon. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Mattofthespurs

I like D'Israeli's art but no in this instance.
Otherwise a good prog.

Bad City Blue

Not really sold on the cover, too CGI looking for me.

Droid Life, as ever, gets in an awful but funny pun in.

Dredd is okay, but put me in the 'That's not Dredd' camp. Art is cool once you adjust.

Kingdom is forever Arsom.

Ro Busters is brilliant for me. Have read the originals many times so there is no confusion.

The Order - skippety skip

Stronty Hound - still rattling along nicely
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Steve Green

Dredd being out of character with his muttering - Hershey says that it's a charade, both she and him are laying it on a bit thick because that's what the Kleggs expect.

Tjm86

I could go with the acting for the audience reading if it wasn't for the text blocks purporting to be his thinking.  Perhaps it would have been better to have left those out and let the story portray his thinking.

Steve Green

The whole suicide thing I just took as exaggeration for comedic effect.

I did laugh at the fate of the ambassador, and it makes a change from the grimdark post DoC Dredd.

Jacqusie

I've only just got the pun (and I've met the man) ... and as much as I am pleased to see sensitive Klegg back, the cover doesn't do it for me with the CGI thing going on - it's too plastic looking (just my opinion)

I do however welcome back D'Israeli to Dredd. I like how this set up is always going to be tongue - coated in a pich of salt - in cheek and is a welcome releif from the BIG set ups and expoditions. Dredd's world has been ripped up left & right recently and whilst some of the plot lines have been gripping, I do think grumpy ol' Joe needs a bit of fun now and again.

Fun is a concept that has been in short supply in Stronty Dog in the past 5 years and so I'm liking this caper and that it's being paced over a few months.

Kingdom, while the storyline annoys me with it's repetative dialogue and plot lines, is pretty bloody good at the moment, probably the best it's ever been, but is there a twist (or death) around the corner?

Robusters/ABC isn't working for me & I lost the plot a while back where we are in the continuity of the characters, we seem have been shuttled back & forth so much. I thought we were at the end of the Savage story line, but it appears to be Hammerstein just having a memory dump... which is where this should be really...

The Order, it's not making much sense granted, but the art is fabulous!

Oh and Prog 1969 - I don't think Tharg has been bothered to play this numbers game - which is a shame really - lots of missed opportunities and puns to be had. As long as he doesn't forget one big one ey?

:think:

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: Jacqusie on 21 February, 2016, 12:21:12 AM

Oh and Prog 1969 - I don't think Tharg has been bothered to play this numbers game - which is a shame really - lots of missed opportunities and puns to be had. As long as he doesn't forget one big one ey?

:think:

Prog 1984? Van Halen themed maybe?  :P

Geoff

Cover's striking and always great to see Kleggy but it's a bit plastic for my taste too.

Some very welcome humour in the Dredd strip - love that death scene! D'Israeli's art really gels with the strip.

Not really a fan generally but enjoying Kingdom.

SD is getting going too. Enjoying the prog at the no!

Geoff